1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How is the hobby affecting you financially? [Poll]

Nov 10, 2020

?
  1. I have a high paying job, and affordability is not an issue

61 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I scrimp and save until I'm certain that I have enough to afford it comfortably

152 vote(s)
    49.8%
  3. I buy them on layaway because the payments are within my budget

114 vote(s)
    37.4%
  4. I buy them on layaway, and am subsequently drowning in debt

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. I settle for dolls that I don't love, because the price is good

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. I buy what I like and am living on ramen and water

35 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. My credit is ruined and I concede that I have an addiction

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. When I got started, I wasn't making very good money, so I was very much in the scrimp-and-save camp, purchasing only inexpensive dolls ($200 was a FORTUNE to me! I would NEVER spend more than that!). (To be clear, I didn't buy cheap dolls instead of expensive ones I liked more, I bought inexpensive dolls that I also liked enough to justify getting the money together for them.) The funds were mainly coming from my annual tax return, as well as a side gig I started up not long after getting into the hobby.

Since then, I've gotten a job that pays quite well, and while I can't necessarily afford to just go drop cash on whatever I want, whenever I want, I set aside a pretty substantial amount of money every month into a savings account that's designated for fun stuff. I still do some layaways, too, but most of my funds come back out of that account (or the side gig that, in normal years at least, I started doing again--largely because it's actually really fun!).

2. My job pays pretty well, but I like to buy on short (1 month) layaways to break up payments across 4 paychecks. That way it isn't a large amount all at once and that helps me sleep better at night.:3nodding:

3. When I started the hobby back in 2009, I was only 14, so income was essentially non-existent for me. Over the years, I learned how to buy and sell things online, got a few jobs here and there, and learned the hard way about financial (ir)responsibility.

Now that I'm an adult I have a well-paying job and have learned a lot about debt over the years. 95% of the time, I prefer to only buy a doll in full and out of pocket, without using layaway or credit cards. I definitely went a little overboard this year, so I know that if it weren't for this hobby I would have more savings.

However, I've also had some serious illnesses despite my young age, so I prefer to live in the moment and in my joy rather than to save every penny. As long as my bills are paid and I have some funds squared away, I intend to live my life to my pleasure, and right now that includes surrounding myself with dolls! :D

4. I do layaway as well. I’m a teacher in NYC so my money is okay....I did do a lot of tutoring for extra cash. Because of the pandemic, tutoring has slowed down. Need to watch my money now. I am fascinated by the young collectors who have expensive dolls. My parents definitely would not have gone for that when I was in high school or fresh out of high school LOL they think it’s a waste of money—-*sigh* they’ll never understand haha.

5. I haven't read past the first post, so if I repeat what others have said, that is why.

I put dolls on layaway, either through a dealer, or through the secondhand market. Its easier on my very limited budget. I've been lucky so far that the individuals I've bought dolls from have been very understanding to someone on a fixed budget.

Back when I was still working, I would save and buy dolls, or simply buy them outright. I miss those days, but it still hasn't stopped me from buying the dolls I fall in love with. :love

Ryu

6. i have to confess that this hobby needs a lot of discipline! i bought on layaway plan, so i can stan the long waiting time, because i feel that if i pay the doll in one payment i should get my doll right away, i have no patience... so in a laway plan, i do not feel this anxious:shudder

7. I Never buy anything unless I have at LEAST double its price in my checking account, though more often than not it’s don’t buy unless 1000 + price to ensure a little cushioning...
      I think that’s my best course of action especially as I have a couple of expensive(ish) hobbies but no income :sweat

8. Every time I have managed to save up for one so far, I have had an unexpected expense that took all the money. So I am still saving up for my first doll, but I will not give up!

9. I'm both a saver and fortunate enough to be pretty stable/well-established economically at this point. I have a "fun money" account that I put spare money into as I can, and that gets used for all of my hobby stuff.. dolls, sewing, camera gear, gaming stuff, or what-have-you. Generally, I don't buy if I don't have the funds in that account to cover something.

10. I'm lucky enough to have a well paying job that is flexible for a work from home situation. I think I could be better with my money, the only major bill I have is paying student loans, but whenever I need extra money, I open up commissions and get in a decent amount c: especially around the holidays <3 even so, I prefer to use the layaway plan for reasons a lot have already specified c: its easier for me to manage my monthly payments when a layaway plan is available so that I'm not spending so much at one time c:

11. I will be switching my job soon and I will earn considerably more than I do now but I also feel like my dolls keep getting more expensive ;). (Hello, Charlotte and Lucia preorder :love.)

But I do feel weirdly ashamed of how many dolls I am able to afford just from my monthly income without touching my savings account at all. That has actually blocked from really posting my dolls on my IG account (only here on DoA). I do not wish to be seen as a rich pampered snob :frownyblush::eek:. On the other hand I would love to share my joy. It just feels weird when I know so many of my friends struggle financially. I mean I am aware that I am lucky to be in this situation and I worked hard to get there but I'm still blocked.
      Does anyone else have this feeling sometimes?

12. Honestly this hobby is great motivation to increase my salary... I've got savings, no debt, and all the basics covered, but more disposable income is quite fun.

13. I have a very small income, but it's reliable and predictable so it's easy to plan around. I also have quite low living expenses and no children or expensive pets.
      I never had any problems with money. I just make sure to spend less than I get and save the rest, it just comes naturally. This way there usually is money allready saved up when I need (or, you know "need") to make a bigger purchase.

I do have rule for buying only one doll per year, but it's not a strict rule. More of a rule of thumb, something to check against to see if I'm on the right track. This rule is not only for economical reasons, though. I want to get to know my new doll and I make a lot of their clothes and other things myself and that takes time. I also need time to work on the dolls I allready have. I think that if i bought too many dolls in a short time I would not be able to enjoy every one of them as much.

My main excuse to spend so much on a doll, despite having a very small income, is that if you divide the cost with the number of hours of entertainment I get out of a doll (this includes time spent on face up, clothing and props as well as general play) then suddenly mostly any doll is a great investment. :lol:

14. My finances affect my hobby ;). If I don't have any, I don't buy any.

But despite me having a tiny income, it's not the money that is the issue: It's time.I've got so little energy that even a face-up, or sewing a simple dress becomes a long-term project for me. Hence the fact that my precious dolls are mostly still sitting next to me in all of their naked glory :sweat.

15. No, not even when I was able to work did I have that feeling. Like you said, you "worked hard to get there."

Some people spend their money on going out, designer clothes, or pimping out their cars. You spend yours on dolls. As long as you are able to pay your bills and necessities, and you have a good income, you have no reason to feel guilty.

Putting a doll on layaway, or buying one outright while still able to eat, pay rent/mortgage and bills is something that we all should feel lucky to be able to do. Being able to do so doesn't mean you are a "rich, pampered snob," it means you are making decent money, or are able to save, or good with budgeting, or whatever reason that makes it so you can get the dolls you want.

You managed to be able to do so, so congrats!

(Like I said in my previous post, I've been lucky enough to find sellers willing to work with me. Maybe if your IG doll friends looked for people like that, or put new dolls on layaway with the companies that have that option, they could get more dolls. I'm just sayin'....;))

Ryu

16. I've got a steady job (thankfully), and no dependents, so while I technically could splurge and buy a reasonably priced doll in one go, I don't like doing that (its very uncomfortable), so I tend to do layaways. Every three months or so, I like to do no-buys (everything but the bills and food), which help space out my purchases (and staves off those consumerist habits).

17. None of these fully apply to me. In the past I will admit I used credit and went into debt. Now it is different, I sold all my dolls and had none for a while. I built up a small cushion of savings and started with a few dolls. I sold those dolls to buy new dolls, and that cycle kind of continued as I added more to my cushion. Then I dipped into that cushion and bought a few more dolls, and sold some off to buy new ones. I feel like nothing stays with me long term, that I enjoy the ones I have for a time, then I want something else and usually have to part with one or more to get another.
      If I had unlimited funds I would have a ton of dolls, but like having all different ones, and lack of space and unlimited funds means in order to have a new one I usually have to part with an old one. It bothered me for a while, but I have come to terms with it. I accept that this is how it is with me and that is ok.
      I don't get attached to my dolls, I don't have back stories for them or spend a lot of time playing with them. I mostly redress and look at them. So after a while I am ok parting with them for new ones. I have often wondered why I can't just be happy looking at photos, and haven't figured that one out yet.

18. I’m on Team “Only buy when I have the money saved.” I have a job that pays decent money, but I have things that I need to prioritize before spending money for hobbies (stuff for my house, dog meds, tires for the car etc. ) . I’m also into another expensive hobby (lolita) so I have to weigh which one I want to spend my fun money on.

19. I also only buy dolls (and doll accessories) if and when I have the money to do so. I've only once bought on lay-away, and I hated the feeling of owing somebody money, so I never did it again.

20. I scrimp and save my birthday and Christmas money from relatives until I have enough saved up to comfortably afford the purchase I want to make, typically, as I haven't been able to find a job since the pandemic started. However, on occasion, my husband will purchase me a doll-related item or two as gifts, and we have an agreement that any money I bring in by selling stuff within the hobby is strictly mine to funnel back into the hobby as I please. My latest purchasing spree is entirely funded by sales of other hobby stuff! My parents and grandma have also purchased a few dolls for a different, non-BJD collection of mine in the past.

I'm very fortunate in that my husband and I can comfortably live off of his income alone, so once I start working, we'll likely use my income solely to pay off our debt quicker (student loans!! shakes fist), bulk up our savings, and pad out our "fun" funds, which will include my hobby fund! The hobby isn't the only reason I'm looking forward to working again, as I'm someone who thrives off of the structure of employment or rigorous academia, but it is one of the reasons.

Regardless, I won't do layaways. I'm super paranoid about committing to a long-term agreement like that and then having to flake because a surprise emergency expense came up, as they are wont to do the moment I even think about trying to stretch my dollars.