1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How is the hobby affecting you financially? [Poll]

Nov 10, 2020

?
  1. I have a high paying job, and affordability is not an issue

61 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I scrimp and save until I'm certain that I have enough to afford it comfortably

152 vote(s)
    49.8%
  3. I buy them on layaway because the payments are within my budget

114 vote(s)
    37.4%
  4. I buy them on layaway, and am subsequently drowning in debt

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. I settle for dolls that I don't love, because the price is good

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. I buy what I like and am living on ramen and water

35 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. My credit is ruined and I concede that I have an addiction

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. I don't like layaway and I'm saving money for my hobby. I list what I want on a google sheet and calculate the price of them. I have to save money for a long time because most of them are limited. Considering the slow speed of rerelease, it's still acceptable. I know I will finally get most of them. The most despair thing is that there will always be 'a better doll' makes my wish list growing.

2. I tend to buy on lay-away because I am often buying a doll with all the works. That is a big purchase so I try to spread the payments out. I would say I have some debt but nothing I can't handle. The pandemic isn't helping because I feel like I am shopping more.

3. My spouse has a good job and I have enough income to justify spending a little on dolls but what I buy is usually under $300 including shipping. I budget really well and spend very little on anything else, besides dolls I’m very low maintenance.

4. I've answered 'I bought in layaway' and 'I live from ramen and water' even if it's not completely true.

My financial situation has changed a lot since I first joined the hobby. I used to be student when I begin in the hobby (and I couldn't afford a lot of dolls or accessories). Then I've been some years in the situation 'I have a high paying job' and half of my collection comes from those years. Now I scrimp, I sell dolls for buying new ones, I sometimes use layaway. But basically I buy nearly nothing else. My boyfriend has a good paying job and he pays most of the bills. :sweat

5. I try to buy when I am certain I have the money saved for that exact doll I want and so I try to do layaway. But sometimes I can't wait and buy the whole doll upfront. Now I am trying to do everything with layaway. I am not drawing in debt or anything but I have definitely spent a lot of money on dolls.

6. I definitely have to mull a purchase over for quite a while, which is sometimes hard if something is on the secondhand market since those dolls tend to sell fast, haha. I don't overspend, but I also still live at my parents home, so I've no bills to pay -- though I do save most of my paychecks so I can move out someday, haha. One thing I am short on is space... :sweat

7. i stopped buying myself clothing and stuff that i always used to but I've started separating my money into 3 separate funds accounts so i manage my money much better

8. I have a high paying job but I still only buy maybe 1-2 dolls a year. I have plans and just stick to them, I spend months deciding on a sculpt so I'm not swayed by preorders. I miss out on a lot of cool dolls(and cheaper prices) that way but I just buy them secondhand here later on. I don't want to have doll regret from making an impulse purchase.

My husband found out a long time ago that I prefer dolls instead of jewelry so he buys me dolls, too! I'm also showing him the ropes because he wants his own collection of his characters and we all know how hard it is to buy legitimate secondhand.