1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long are you willing to wait for Face-up comission?

Sep 26, 2017

1. @Dilemma09 Oh dear, I
      know exactly how you feel. May I ask you the name of the artist? The artist I've comissioned hasn't update any of her face-up works since she closed the slot. But, she did update her other works. That's how I know my boy won't come back soon :( I missed my boy so much. Sadly, I don't have any preferable artist with similiar style in my country. And if I'm going to get him back and send him overseas, I want to send all of my four blank heads together, which costs quite a sum. So, while I'm collecting my money, I just leave him there and hope the artist will do her job soon.

Ps.Hope you get your doll back soon //hug

2. For me... It would be how long it took to get the doll. If it takes any longer than that I would definitely be mad (unless it was secondhand or in stock, then I would say a few months.)

3. @Evazeth My artist is definitely different to yours, they have been slowly working on commissions. But yeah, the inaccuracy of wait times and continual deadline push-backs have been infuriating and concerning.
      I'm hopeful that they will get my doll done this week so fingers crossed.

And I hope that your artist gets working on those commissions soon too!

4. From what i know the average is 1-2 months but for really popular artists it can be up to 3-5 months :( Wish you luck on the face up and hopefully it doesn't take too long :)

5. I usually never waited for more than a month. But currently I am sending out my grail baby to someone and it's been taking over a month T_T I am really worried as it's my favorite head even though she isn't limited.

I have used this face up artist before and communication was kind of lacking before as well, but I am very happy with her quality of work so I was willing to take the downside with it. Her page said 2-3 weeks but I have yet to hear anything at all from her since September 5th. Last time I sent heads to her, I heard back in about 3 weeks.

Her social media pages haven't been updated for several weeks now, so I am just assuming that she is either busy or has some private things she needed to take care of before her work. Right now I'm just waiting for the best for my doll and her :)

I pray that I never get into a sticky situation with faceup artists, so I only use popular, well known artist so far (so that may also be the cause for the backlog). If you don't feel good about your artist, you can always ask her what's up. I feel like it's normal to express unhappiness if you were promised that it'll take a certain time and you didn't get your doll back or receive any update after the date. You paid this person after all, you are entitled to some information about your doll situation. Politely, of course.

6. Wow I feel bad for you people telling you to feel grateful this artist has a slot open is cruel, irregardless of who this faceup artist is they should have been upfront about the time frame they required and not blame their work for their lack of commitment to your faceup.

7. I think about a month or two is okay. More than that.. well.. if the artist is very busy and popular it's understanding, but in any case you have to be informed from the beginning for the estimated completion time..

8. buff I usually send my doll's head for an anrtist who can finish it in a month, 2 moth is a lot for me.

9. For a slot with an artist, I'm willing to wait years. For the completion of a commission, once I've sent the head, about a year.
      I'm rarely in a rush for anything related to my dolls. I'm more concerned with whether I feel like I can trust an artist, if I love their work and if the artist is truly interested in taking my commission.

10. Honestly I'm not willing to wait around with my doll in someone else's possession for any amount of time which is why I do all of my faceups/custom work myself (even if it actually ends up taking longer than it would with an artist because I have to redo it 73 times to get it right :sweat). If I ever really did fall in love with someone's art style to the point where I'd be willing to ship my doll's head off to them, I would need to see a decent amount of good feedback on their turnaround time and communication before I'd take that risk. I've never sold services or commissions of any kind, but I've bought and sold plenty of items over the internet and I cannot imagine ignoring someone's question about the transaction for longer than 24 hours! It actually gives me horrible anxiety whenever I'm not able to respond immediately for whatever reason. It's horribly unprofessional to ignore someone/not check messages for over 2 days much less the 2 WEEKS some of you are describing.

As far as the actual time goes, I'd be willing to wait about 2 months for a faceup commission. I do my own faceups so I'm more than familiar with how long it can take just waiting for the WEATHER to cooperate with you so you can spray sealant especially when you need the nice days to line up with your own personal work schedule as well (I've been waiting about a month for a cool and dry day that I don't have work to be able to do one of my dolls lol) so I totally understand that. Anything more than 2 months is too long for me to wait. Personally, I don't think people should offer faceup services unless they know they can get it done in less than 3 months. Holding onto someone else's expensive item for that long because you don't have the time to get it painted is ridiculous.

11. @mdoline03 Well, if the artist say that I have to wait for a year, I'm also willing to wait for a year. But she didn't mention it. Also, while I'm waiting for her to do her job on my doll, she keep updating her main work process which means she hasn't start working on my doll yet :( I can't helped but started to wonder why she open for commission if she's so busy with her main work..

12. @dollmien I understand about the actual time. It's rainy season here in my country and it rains everyday. So I know that my doll won't be home soon. Still, seeing the artist updating her main work and didn't mention anything about face-up is kind of disappointied. Especially, when she said that she might be able to start working on my doll head at the end of September.
      But, it's ok I think I used to it now.

Ps. I just sent my other doll head to other artist last week. I'm having a bet with my dolls now. The one who arrives home first will get a new shirt XD

13. I would only wait 3 months for a face-up.

14. I wonder who "they" are. (her fans I presume?)
      Ps. Is it normal to wait for a year for a famous artist to finished a doll head? They said that even I send my head to a famous artist outside the country, I also have to wait for almost a year..

It doesn't matter how great the artist is they should not have a wait list so long that you wait a year. They should open for commissions and then close once they have the amount of heads they can do in whatever the period is. Don't worry about hurt feeling on her part. A year is NOT normal at all even for very good very well known artists. Normally well known artists also know their limits of speed and time and only accept a few heads then close and reopen when they are done with the last batch and feel like doing more.

The one question you have to ask yourself is would you have still sent your head if she had listed time as up to a year wait? also there is not any guarantee you will be in love with the makeup she does.

Personally I would also only wait three months for a faceup (which is a lot of time fyi). Right now I have three heads with one artist in another country and have been given 2 months as the wait time. I will give her to the end of February, I sent the heads by mid Dec. Then I will be expecting an update!

** Before I sent the heads to her I did also contact two other people and asked them what their experience as with the artist and it seemed like in both cases she took a month longer than expected which I am ok with - So in my head I have allowed three months before I mailed off my heads.

#34 TreeLore, Dec 31, 2017
      Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    15. The faceup artist I most often sent my dolls to usually takes around two months to finish. Lately it has taken her longer, but I'm willing to wait since I really love her aesthetics. <3 If I have learned anything from this hobby it's patience.

16. Patience I agree but not a year unless listed before hand. I can't imagine any artist would list a year though !

17. I've personally heard of up to 6 months. If it's an artist I really love, I'd wait up to about 4 months. Otherwise, probably a month.

18. If an artist says a 1-2 month process, you should only have to wait a month extra at most. Unless something serious comes up and their situation changes completely. Or if the process is taking longer than it should you should have regular contact with the artist so they can keep you up to date. As mentioned by a few others in the thread, you should never wait longer than the six month Paypal protection.

19. Well I sat on a waiting list for quite some time, and just sent my girls away. I don't mind being on a waitlist, it's the turn around time I'm picky about. I think I waited 6.5 months before shipping, I joined when I ordered my doll. But! The turn around by my artist is 1-2 weeks. Add shipping internationally, my dolls will likely only be gone about 6 weeks max.

Long Story short I'll wait a real long time on a waitlist, maybe even more than a year, but I really don't like my dolls to be away from me more than 2 months.

20. i've only sent 2 heads (at the same time) to be painted. the person i sent them to had them both finished within 2-3 weeks and did a great job on both. having to wait for several months would leave me anxious and majorly po'd. i get that everyone here is human and life crap happens, but if it's going to cause a delay with something i paid a person to do i would certainly expect a heads up and a choice of continuing or aborting the job. the more honest you are the less angry and hateful i'll be.