1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did it take for you to find out your doll's personality?

Apr 23, 2011

1. It took me almost a month to just find out my dolls name ._. He didn't want to 'speak' to me (if you want to use that term) and I'm still working on finding out his personality... But then again, I'm still working on things with him (like eyes and a 'proper' outfit for him ^^; ).

2. Well, I had everything planned out for Blake, but when he arrived he just wasn't the character I'd planned for him. And it was only a few days ago that I found out his personality after having him for about five months. So now I know what to expect of him in shoots etc. Huzzah! xD

3. My first doll took about two months I think, at first she was supposed to be a sweet little thing, but now she's more of a spoiled brat with issues. My second was right off the bat a little bundle of adorable even if he/she doesn't have a set gender.

My third was actually planned, a little hipster, a little b***h, a little sass, but I kept it open for the most part. She's more or less turned out exactly that, and then demanded a boyfriend right out of the box. It's the little quirks and mannerisms I have to figure out now.

4. My first doll had her personality on t he same day I got her. She didn´t even have her face-up yet, but I know exactly how she is. My second doll I have had for about a month, and still she is a bit of a mystery to me. And my third doll, which is coming soon, has a very clear personality, even though I don´t have her here yet. I never have any stories ready when the doll comes, but I learn and listen as the time goes, hoping the dollie will become "alive".

5. I'll answer this for the few dolls that I had no pre-existing character for. It's not the way I prefer to do things but certain dolls needed to come home and so I had to figure them out and work them into the story.

It takes about a year for me to feel like I know what they are about and what to do with them. I may figure out their eye and hair color, name and where they are from in the first few months. Really setting their style and personality takes several months after that. And then it's been a year and I feel like I can move forward with them.

6. It took me a few weeks to find out my doll's name, but I knew her personality the moment I put her clothes and wig on her head. I think I knew her personality before she even got here. Just looking at all of the pieces that would build her up helped me imagine what she'd be like. Having her in person with me confirmed it.

Manami's personality is very shy and sweet. She doesn't like to be around too many people at once, and she feels the most comfortable with me alone. Even though she may seem mousy, she is really protective of me. She is always guarding my room's door, just to be sure no intruders come in. ;)

7. This is an interesting topic! For me, it varies. Like Taco and Snow said, it really depends on the doll. I usually get a rough idea of what I want the character to be while I'm waiting for the doll to arrive, and some seem to be exactly who their going to be right away- like my Planet Doll girl, she was just herself... new face-ups didn't change her personality or her character, and whatever I dress her in she still fixes me with that same sullen glare XD Other dolls get home and the rough character that I normally come up with before hand just doesn't fit them, instead it takes a few different face-ups, wigs, and new clothes to finally get a feel for who they are. My Lati K was like that. I had him for two years before he even had a name that stuck! I ended up selling his original body, buying him a new one, and completely changing his look (new face-up, eyes, and wig). Then my mum named him and it totally stuck, it was perfect!

8. My first few dolls will very probably be based on characters in stories I write. Some of these characters are years old, so they already have strong personalities--to the point where I'm beginning to think "my dolls" even though I've only found two molds that I like for them (and I don't own any yet! D: )

9. My first doll is rather a mini-me, but hopefully more confidant and outgoing! I still don't know what her name will be, though! :D

My second planned doll is a character from a story I am writing. Actually, the next few MiniFees are. I don't really know what my LittleFees and PukiPukis will be like!

10. My first doll I had a basic idea of when I first got him because he ended up being a pre-existing character of mine (even though that wasn't my original plan). It took me a week or so of RPing with him to work out the finer points of his personality (the story he was in was lost before he actually made an appearance in it due to my computer crashing) but it wasn't too hard to figure out.

I'm waiting for my second doll now and when I first saw the sculpt (Doll Leaves Xavor) I thought his character would be very regal and neat and maybe a little snooty, but lately, after seeing him in something other than his set clothes and wig, I've been working a new character for him. Still not sure what his final personality will be, but I don't think it'll be the same as my first impression of him in his set clothes. I'll have to see him in his wig I make him and after I make him some clothes and then I think I'll be able to work everything out fairly quickly.

11. My first doll... it took *nearly* a YEAR to get his personality/character solidified XD;

It started with his name(June), which was inspired by Jasmine You, as it was shortly after he died that I'd ordered my first doll.
      From there I used some recycled ideas from old OCs that never really took off. All of them failed and I realized exactly why those old OCs were never developed. xD;

I still ended up keeping some specific traits to these old ideas, but otherwise June was still flicking between clothing styles, wigs, eyes and occasionally personalities.
      Then one day I'd been drawing up character ideas and a new character was born. That character later became June's half-brother and June became... June xD Ironically he ended up switching back to one of the first wigs he'd ever had. Go figure D:!

After that I started actually planning out my dolls' characters instead of just fluking it. I do tend to still fluke a little bit when generally unexpected dolls(or ones that I just hadn't planned on obtaining so soon) come into my little ~family~, but otherwise I learned my lesson. I was all ready obsessed with character development before I ever got into BJDs, it just took the idea and act of getting the boys in tangible form to learn just exactly how important it is. :XD:

12. My dolls all have personalities before they get home, given I choose dolls to fit existing characters.

13. An instant.

Yes, really - what makes me wanna buy this or that doll depends on wether or not it has that little extra thing that makes my imagination go wild. That's how it is with the doll I own and the one who's on his way home - the very moment I laid my eyes on both of these dolls, their faces were so expressive, so full of life and personality that their characters were born instantly in my head. I mean, you could literary show me their pictures on their respective company sites, snap your fingers, and I would have their personalities down to a T as soon as the sound of the snap faded.
      I guess this makes me an all too easy target for the infamous snowball effect - since I don't have any pre-existing characters or a certain "character quota" to fill, I can easily see myself adding way more dolls to my collection than what is healthy... but hey, since when was BJD particularily good for you wallet anyway? XD
      Anyhow, I seldomly fall in love with a certan doll or want to buy it "just because he/she looks so darn pretty". I mean, sure there are LOADS of unearthly beautiful dolls out there that I wouldn't exactly MIND if they ever showed up on my doorstep... but honestly, I want my dolls to be more than just eyecandy. I want them to make my head spin around, trigger my imagination and let them be a key to which I open up the doors to a fantasy land. I have many dolls on my wishlist, yes, but what connects them all is that the very moment I laid my eyes on them - I saw characters. I saw their temperaments, their interests/hobbies, their backstories. And it all happened in just a few seconds!
      Yep, something like that.:)

14. Three months for Daniel, and things still weren't really cemented until I face up'd him. But who he is is SO much different than who I thought he'd be. He's a blond fairy, and I thought he'd be a brunette Englishman.

15. I got my first doll with a very set character in mind, but I wasn't sure it would work out.
      As soon as I put the proper clothes on her and a suitable wig, I felt better. The second I looked at her with her new, darker-coloured eyes in... it was just what I had expected for her. She fit the bill almost too well!

16. I usually know when I see their picture online but I just ordered one with several possibilities... so I'll know for sure as soon as he comes. Once he's in my hands, I'll be able to tell who he is! :D

17. It depends on how much time I spend with them. I found out Amy's (my first doll's) personality very fast, since I 'played' with her all the time. Same thing with my second doll.
      I bought my third doll last autumn, and since then I have had so much to do in school so I havn't really had any time to spend on bonding with him. Only a few weeks ago I realized I started to know a little about his personality. I really like him, but I think I'll need to give him a little more time ^^

18. Well some of their stories have changed a little. My first doll Sanjaya has always had the same kind of personality. He's fashion sense/style has changed a few times. but thats what they're for right XD. Also my doll Dee he was meant to dress feminine but he didn't suit it so I changed it to punky it suit him nicely. My tiny Yuri I just have a temporary outfit on him right now, He's style may change because I didn't have a character planned before I bought the doll cause he was like an impulse buy

19. It depends ^^I rarely decide a personality for my boy until I got to see his face in real .It may be as fast as giving him his character at the first glance,yet it can be as slow as days to months till I finally think of one.Sometimes I need time to interact and bond with the boy too ^^"" My Reisners now are still mostly character-less although I've spent a few months with them already.Right now only the heads I've sent out for face up has their characters fixed(because I need one to decide the type of face up for the boy)
      Most of my dolls came unplanned,so I take my own time to create one which suits him the most.

20. I've had Afanasiy for over a year now and I still cannot figure out his personality. I know who he generally is and his role in his story but its all just bare bones and lacking any sort of flesh. I thought it was because he wasn't wearing the right wig, had the right eyes, clothes and so on...but changing them didn't help much. All I can think for him is: "I'm just going to sit here and look pretty". Guess he's my poster boy (or rather doll).

But when I received Anathema, there it was, like a flash: who she was, personality and all. The funny thing is, she's in Afanasiy's story arc and I've tried so hard to flesh him around her but it's so far failed.:?