1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did it take for you to find out your doll's personality?

Apr 23, 2011

1. Usually I buy a doll because I am looking to shell a specific character, but I have several that I bought just because I love the doll or was curious about the company. My Iplehouse BID simply clicked when I did his face-up and made his clothes. Mydolling Jeanne immediately acquired an entirely unplanned character when I dressed her into a set of clothes I'd originally bought for another doll. Both dolls were great fun this way. I was a bit worried I might not really find something to do with them because they weren't pre-existing characters - but as it turned out, I didn't have to look for long and the experience was great. Now I'm very curious to see what it will be like with my incoming Mydolling Heeah...

2. For Rhea, my Mystic Kids Lillian, it took me 2 and a half years to figure out who she was! It was such a struggle, I had even considered selling her! But now that I know who she is, I love her!

For Rowan, my Asleep Eidolon Aure, I've had her for a a little over half a year, and I'm still working on figuring out who she is!

So typically it takes me a while to know who my dolls are. I do have a plan for a future bjd I want to own, so hopefully when I get her, I won't need to struggle too much with who she is!

3. My dolls seem to be assertive sorts, I open the box, and they come out screaming things like, "Hi I'm Epiphany! I am a pirate queen. I will be needing some clothes in bright green, and a BIG hat, with peacock feathers. And great tall boots! And a SWORD!

4. I find my dolls take a while to get to know. Some I know a good amount about right away, others it take a long time, but even the open books seem to hide some of their personality for me to find out about later. I feel they are a bit like people, the shy ones seem closed off and I have to gain their trust before they share themselves, the outgoing ones are happy to share, but like all people you can't learn everything about them at once! I know they are just dolls, but I do the same with my characters for my stories, they live in my head and slowly become close friends in my heart.

My doll Petra is easy to get to know, she is more like a child in that she has less renovations and isn't as worried about what people think of her. So I got to know her quickly already. However she will likely continue to surprise me with little quirks and emotions that had not seen before.

My Ridley is more closed off. I got the doll 9 years ago, but the character that it used to hold has moved back into my head and is having fun in a world I created. So she may be an older doll, but Ridley herself is brand new. I get the feeling it might take some time to be able to fully meet her. I bet once I get her a faceup though that will help! :)

5. my first doll is still being made at the moment, but for awhile i only had his name. im slowly figuring out his personality nothing concrete yet although i do think he's very childlike. :chibi

6. My first doll is currently on preorder, but since he's a shell of my developed OC already I've got most of his personality down! Although I'd really love to one day buy a doll specifically to make an OC out of them ^^

7. Not long at all... My first doll wasn't an OC or anything, but I had her figured out long before she arrived! But I'm a writer, so I love fleshing out characters, and I can do it pretty quickly.

8. I usually have the characters done before I buy a doll for them, but my most recent doll was a little different; I saw the sculpt and fell in love with him, then made the character to fit! I wasn't completely sold on buying him at first, but once the character had mostly come together in my mind I just had to have him.

So I guess the quick answer would be I pretty much always know their personalities/characters before I buy them!

9. I didn't have a character in mind for when I bought him, but when he arrived and I started making him clothes and talking about him to my friend that likes dolls and having mine 'meet' hers he gradually developed a personality.
      I still need more character development to go with him but for the time I have a good understanding of the type of doll he is hehe :)

10. I don't buy to shell characters, I just get sculpts that I like, so discovering their personalities is part of the fun for me.
      My mystickids Francis, Hemlock, basically screamed his personality and style at me as soon as I opened the box. Then his hobbies and occupation all sort of snapped into place almost immediately. The only thing he hasn't told me is his relationships with my other dolls (does he like them, hate them, find them boring? I don't know!) But that probably has to do with my other msd (a DZ Mo-2) being all secretive about himself.I've had him for almost 6 months now and he hasn't told me much.
      All I know about him for sure is that he doesn't like the red wig I've been making him, he doesn't like having long hair, and he absolutely hates my preference for victorian inspired clothing, haha. He does seem to like my day-to-day style of leather jackets and casual clothes, and he's interested in my motorcycle. Maybe he'll be a biker. I'm testing the name Nym out on him and he hasn't said no yet so I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks.
      And my last doll (a ResinSoul Autumn) only came in two days ago so I don't really know anything about her! She does have a very sweet vibe about her but we'll see.

11. Most of my dolls I know who they are a long time before they arrive. The one exception is Aggi (the doll in my avatar) who I ordered Dec of 2015 and got in June and knew absolutely nothing about, not even her name until I started working with her for the DOA triathlon, I may not have placed at all but was very happy that during my work in it I learned not only Aggi's name but a lot about her personality.

12. Hmm, truth be told, getting to know my dolls is an on-going process as I feel they constantly change, develop and grow in personality just like flesh people do. ;)
      Anyhow, it took me 6 months to 1 year to get the real basics known for ALL of my dolls. I'm still learning the basics to one of them. She's very quiet and reserved... :|

13. My dolls personalities developed differently. Some are still trying to figure out how exactly they're gonna be months after I got them while others I knew their characters instantly. My first doll I knew his personality and style before he even got home but it was as I was playing with him one day he revealed he was the way he was because he's a demon. So I think it depends on the doll and owner how long it takes to see how their personality is.

14. Oh goodness! My first doll, Raziel was pretty easy. A few days after I got him, he revealed his name and his diva personality.
      My second doll, Liriel, was a bit finicky. I wasn't her first or second owner. Every thing that I bought for her, she didn't like. She changed her name several times. I got her a new face-up, made her a skirt and necklace and she's settling in a bit better now.
      I have another girl doll on the way, I hope she isn't as difficult as Liriel has been.

15. My Damien who was my first doll was pretty much the exact same. I knew his character pretty much instantly and he still has to remind me how much of a personality he has on occasion.

16. I love a doll with an overinflated ego. Funny, Raziel's name was going to be Damien as well.

17. After the face up is complete and I'm putting on wig and eyes. If not then, I find it as I'm posing and taking pictures of them. So far, no doll has turned out with the personality I originally planned. It kind of makes me bond with them more though. :hug:

18. The only doll of mine that didn't have a personality developed before I got her is my first, Sadako. I was just dipping my feet into the BJD waters when I first got her, and was still collecting Pullip brand dolls. I was looking for my first, saw her and though she was cute, and then ordered her. It took a little while to come up with the right name and look. She's still trying to figure herself, to be perfectly honest:lol:.

Every other one I've gotten since her was for a character I had in mind, either one of my OCs for my WIP story, or dolls based off existing characters. So, they're pretty well established personalities by the time I get them:3nodding:.

19. i collect different type of dolls. But only girls and she must be cute. I know this from first moment, what i want.

20. I've had my luts for a year now...originally I was going to make her a fairy...yeah, no. Lol I was also going to have her in dark clothes. Also a no.
      She loves pastels, and can be persuaded into grays, but put her in something dark or relatively not cute, and she will flop all over the place and not let me do it. It's also turned out that she is ridiculously curious.
      I'm still learning her.