1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you wait before hitting the 'Buy' button...?

Jun 6, 2019

1. With the first doll I really wanted, I was humming and hawing so much I actually ended up missing the chance to buy her fullset. But then I found another doll I really liked and it took me maybe a few weeks to gather up the courage to buy my first one.

2. Their so many times I just want to click buy on everything but my dogs and boyfriend remind me this is the real world and he usually helps me budget a more realistic layaway on unlimited higher FS purchases

3. 24 hours-ish on average. My last one I wait longer because I needed to gather the funds for starting the layaway.
      I'm not the best at waiting, but all mine are second hand so there's also a risk to waiting to long.
      But I'm going to have to enforce a week wait from now on. I spent WAY too much this year on dolls.

4. So far I've waited and thought about it for at least 3-4 weeks before ordering any of my dolls. My first BJD was one I'd wanted for years before finally getting him, but that was more due to price and never having owned a BJD before.

It works out well because it gives me time to know if I truly like a doll enough to want to own it.

5. It varies. In the beginning there were some dolls I ordered right away and I don’t regret that. As time went on, newer dolls became less and less exciting and I have to think about them longer... sometimes months or years. Actually, the only time I truly hurry in my decision is when the doll is limited.

6. I think about it as long as possible, but that's not how I used to be. I was pretty trigger happy when I had money in my pocket as a newbie. Now I know its better to think and really think. If its a doll on the second hand market I give myself less time, but a doll that's on a website available whenever? I'll think about it for nearly forever. How's that working for me? I'd say pretty well!
      Buyers regret is awful and I've gotten so much better at avoiding it! :)

7. Depends a lot on if it's new, secondhand, limited, etc. Secondhand if it's not one I've been hunting down or kind of rare I'll try and wait either a few days or give myself a "if it's available next paycheck I'll get it" rule. For new if its not limited, I'll put it on a list and wait and see if I still want it as bad a month or two later. Limited I tend to jump on it really fast tbh. I've only bought one limited doll new and I sent in the order that same night they posted the listing

8. It depends. I generally don't go for limited dolls and only buy dolls that have been on my wishlist for at least a few months, and even then, I'm apt to wait for a sale or free shipping event. That said, I do have a couple of dolls that I ordered within two weeks of them going up for sale/pre-order because they were only available for a short amount of time. On average, I like to mull it over for a 3-4 months before buying.

9. I would’ve bought it 5mins ago. Patience is not one of my strengths :) but working on it

10. How swiftly I hit the buy button depends on a lot of different factors.

I don't really tend to have a lot of impulse buys, as I focus more on shopping for a specific character at a time (or possibly a couple if I am in the market for more than one). I also usually scour around in search of the perfect sculpt for the character in mind, and do heavy research (searching owner photos for reference, getting different measurements, that sort of thing) before I ever even cave on a particular sculpt and hit the buy button. Once I'm 100%, however....if I have the funds to cover the costs, that button gets hit pretty quickly.

Considering I've had a troublesome character I've had issues with reshelling several times in the past, I tend to be rather picky nowadays. There are a lot of highly potential candidates that might've worked for me out there...but were either not the right scale, or I couldn't get enough info on to be confident to go through with the purchase.

So, really....I'd say I really ponder on it before I hit that buy button. A lot:lol:.

11. Hmm, it really depends for me. Often I’ll think that I’m saving for a doll when really I guess I’m just waiting for the right one to come around. When I find a sculpt that really clicks for me, I get it as quickly as possible; i.e. when I can spend the money. I generally like buying straight from the company as opposed to secondhand, so I don’t do a lot of bargain hunting or anything.

There’s a difference for me between “oh, I love this sculpt” and “this is it, this is the one, I have to have it”; it’s almost a weird obsession. Probably has to do with my autism; it’s very much like engaging in a special interest, a thrill and excitement that’s way beyond a regular experience. Basically, if I can’t stop thinking about the doll, if it makes me really excited and I know it’s right, then I go for it.

I think KDF Romance Yul was the first doll that I really loved but waited for until I found a head secondhand, even though I could’ve gotten a fullset when I first fell in love. I also waited for Nikolai’s body until I found something that would look good at a good price. (That was also because he was my first SD and I wasn’t used to buying something so big!)

12. I mull it over for a few months if they’re unlimited and then just eventually either pass or buy! (So far i had 5 buys oh man XD) But i don’t buy unless i KNOW i have the money

13. For me, it was a year. She was my first doll, however, and I was a little gun shy. I just pre-ordered my second after a month of thinking about him..... I'm kind of hoping that this escalation is not a trend (my poor wallet!) XD

14. I ordered my Doll Chateau Evangeline on the 15th of August this year, a day before my birthday!
      As I am new to the hobby, I am sure this decision of mine took far longer than it would have if I was an experienced owner of BJD's. I remember I spoke to some relatives of mine about whether it would be a good decision or not; some disagreeing, however, most of my family pushed me on and told me to purchase what I think would be a good add-on to my photography.
      I had no idea where to buy BJD's from, so I looked at a couple of videos and made notes to avoid sites that perhaps had the chance of buying a recast, as I was sure I did not want a recast as my first BJD, I do not support artist theft. I finally found Angelesque who is a proven legit seller in the UK which was rather useful for me as I did not know how to work the websites for the BJD companies and I was afraid I would misread something or make a mistake. Luckily, after around 2 months of searching and deciding, I finally managed to order her and have only made it through one month of waiting time (I am very impatient unfortunately :pout:) Supposedly she'll be arriving sometime in February or March, so I am super excited to receive her! Hopefully the next doll I purchase will take less time to decide, but obviously, deciding time does not matter as long as you are 100% sure you made the right decision! :whee:

15. Eight years for the first time and less than an hour for the second time))

16. I tend to not buy a doll unless I already have a character I’m trying to shell. This means I’ve already spent vast amounts of time in deep consideration of exactly what I’m looking for...and I keep hunting until I “recognize” my character. When I finally do, then I’ll set up a layaway as quickly as possible, and finalize more detailed plans (such as wig, eyes, clothing, etc.) while I pay it off. This is the way I’ve built my collection over the years and it’s been highly successful for me. Sometimes the process can be incredibly fast...but in one instance it took me a whole decade to find the right sculpt, and in another one, 8 years! But when it’s right I just know it, and I’ll work hard to tweak my budget to accommodate it.

#96 PoeticSoul, Oct 23, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    17. I was planning to buy my first doll (Maskcatdoll Evelyn) this december and if that didn't work out I was ready to wait even several more months until I could buy her. But something unexpected happened. I found and entirely new doll that just captured my heart (Aimerai Yuna My little poodle). I never imagined that my first doll wouldn't be Evelyn but when I found out that Yuna would be sold out after 23rd of October and it was 21st of October my mind just went blank. I still thought about it one whole day and we talked about it with my boyfriend if we really can afford it. And after some talking and budgeting we decided to buy her.
      So it really depends for me. I am able to wait for months before I buy the doll. And I am also able to find a doll and buy her 24 hours later.

18. I'll wait months! I like to slowly save up for a goal, it makes it far more satisfying when I make a purchase then.

19. Oh gosh, it varies so much for me. There are some that I paid for within literal minutes of seeing it for the first time, and I also have some that I finally bought over TEN YEARS after falling in love with them. And I really couldn't tell you the reason for the variance either. Some of the "instants" were limited, but some were not. And some of the "waited longer" ones were limited and some were not as well. And I couldn't say that, having them on hand, I love any of my "instant"s any more or less than my "waited"s.

20. I waited for nearly 10 years before buying my first doll, and then bought 3 (+1 on layaway) within a month. I guess all the waiting resulted in overreacting. I don't regret one bit, but should probably take it slower from now on :sweat
      All but one were sculpts that I had already admired for some time, but one of them was love at first sight and I had to bring her home.