1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long is too long waiting for an expensive bjd?

May 19, 2010

1. I'm actually hoping I only have to wait in the given time they told me it would be, which was 10-12 weeks. I'm in my 6th week of waiting and it's going by pretty fast. I'm a pretty patient person though I tend to get overexcited and start rambling to my friend about dolls. XD; I feel sorry for her but she actually supports me in it, especially since she's saving up for her doll. The wait is probably worth it though, especially since the doll is being made which probably takes time, especially since BJDs are very well made. The longest though I'll wait is at the end of September and if I haven't been informed or heard anything from them, as they told me they would when it was shipped to them and again once the doll makes it to them and they sent it out, then I will probably email them but nicely of course. Especially since the next doll orders don't go out until October. So it would probably leave me a little impatient if my doll still hasn't arrived or been sent within the waiting time.

2. What would worry me more would be waiting a few months outside of the given quote by the company, or what others have experienced. Personally, I don't mind the wait if I get a quality product in the end. With the few companies I have dealt with, I have almost always received a free gift as an apology for the order taking longer than expected.

For example, I got a free pair of beautiful blue-grey glass eyes from Supiadoll for my order taking 2 months instead of the usual 1. That order was the only one that worried me a bit because all of their customer reviews (which were only 3 pages at the time) had stated a time of one month, even though I don't think there was a time estimate on their actual website. If they had told me it would take 2 months, I wouldn't have been worried. And though a lot of people has had bad experiences with CH's sales, the GO I joined received its order within 5 months and my doll came with no flaws and a beautiful free face-up. I ordered a Felixdoll fullset at the very beginning of their event directly from their site, and though I received it fairly quickly, it was a little bit longer than the time they had quoted, so they gave me a set of resin wigs, which I had never seen before. I was quite fortunate with Felixdoll, but I think in the future I will wait for customer reviews before placing an order directly with a company. They're not big gifts, perhaps, but I appreciated them all the same. The wait doesn't bother me as much as quality.

If a company tells me it'll take 3-4 months before they can ship, I'm OK with it if the company has had good reviews on DoA. I would prefer that the companies are more conservative in their time estimates, as then I'll be pleasantly surprised if they ship early, versus being worried if they don't ship within the quoted time.

3. i prefer to buy from people for that instant gradification thing. XD however when that's lot plausable i do order from companys and i'm pretty patiant. i had one of the 8-9month waits from soom. and it was the first time i ordered dirct. and didn't go through the market place or junkyspot. and this was when the monthly dolls first started before the 100 day thing.

a friend of mine has been waiting over year for a doll now. i find that a bit to long for her, but she can't really help it.

4. It's usually taken 1-1.5 months for me to get dolls from companies. My Unidoll took a little longer, as did my AoD. It really can depend on how busy the company is, whether or not you decided to get a default faceup, as well as the season -- rainy season can mess with resin curing times and slow stuff down.

Since dolls are made to order, and companies can have many orders to fill and are not large (many companies are really just a few people), it really can take awhile. If it starts getting on towards the three month mark, I'll make a polite inquiry just to double check that everything is ok. But waiting is just part of things. I also buy a lot of the marketplace which does eliminate wait times.

5. I'd say it's only too long if you feel it's too long. I've waited around 6 months on a doll that's for one of my best friends (whom now passed away and has left me with her two bjds). If you know the company delivers what they say they would, even if it's "eventually", then it's up to you to figure if it's worth waiting so long for. true, you can wait for the market place, but alot of times you're going to pay a whole lot more. If you can afford it than it would be no problem, but sometimes for some dolls, you almost see no sales for them and more "wtb", especially for parts.

6. Having waited on several Soom MDs in the past, I think I'm pretty immune to wait times in general. In fact, I've gotten so used to waiting at least four to six months for a doll, it always surprises me when I order dolls from other companies and they arrive after only a month or so. In general though, I expect to wait longer if it's a limited edition doll that is hugely popular like the Soom MDs. If lots of people order the same doll, it's only normal to expect to have to wait longer. Although that doesn't always apply for limiteds. My limited Yur Astrologer doll from Iplehouse only took a month or so, but then she wasn't as popular as some of the other Iplehouse EID limiteds.

I think it's only too long when a company goes over it's average wait time for the particular period you ordered your doll. For example, if it's during an event period, or Christmas or something, expect delays. Personally, I think my limit is probably a year, but it really depends on how much I really want the doll and also the company making the doll too.

7. I haven't waited as long as others as I've only bought from Volks and SOOM a while ago. However, I would be worried about any orders exceeding 3-4 months. Like 1mim, I would be worried if I couldn't do anything in the event that a company bottoms out and doesn't deliver their dolls. I have seen examples of that in the incoming room with CCC and Customhouse. I sincerely hope everything works out for these dollie lovers. In addition, I just think it's not worth my time when there are some companies that keep chucking out new dolls when they haven't deliver their past release dolls over 6 plus months. It makes me think that making money by selling as many dolls as possible is more important than delivering dolls on time to loyal customers.

8. I think the wait is important. It makes the doll so much more special and it's much more exciting (especially if it comes a day early!) Maybe I'm just crazy, but I like the wait (It's even better than waiting for Christmas!!)