1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many dolls in your collection are complete and incomplete?

Aug 7, 2022

1. In your current collection how many dolls are completed? This means you are completely satisfied with how they look whether they are a custom or full set BJD.
      For incomplete this means you are still working on your doll.

In my collection I currently have 1 complete and 2 incomplete dolls.

2. I just counted and I'd comfortabley call 18 of my bjds 'complete' and 20 incomplete (not including spare heads). My main basis is if they are a full doll with proper faceup, wig, and at least one outfit in their preferred style. Most of my incomplete dolls only need a proper wig before I'd call them complete, and 5 of them would be complete if I just get them ear mods but I've been lazy about that.

I honestly find it hard to see my dolls as complete because then I'd lose interest in them.

3. I guess.... technically one complete, and one incomplete? If I would ever remember to get a sealing spray, I'd be more inclined to have the second one completed. Lol

4. Most of my dolls are complete. I have a couple of floating heads……one I have a body planned out just waiting on funds and the other I’m not sure what to do with. I have one yosd doll that I got quite a few years ago that I’ve been using to experiment on. She was free when I ordered a different doll which I didn’t click with and sold. Since she was free I have no real plans for her and she has been in a drawer in pieces while I practice faceups.

5. For the most part, I'd say 13 are complete, and two are not. It's really hard to define, because I'm always getting new things for my dolls, redoing faceups as my skills improve, and replacing eyes or wigs if I find something more fitting for them, even if I consider them finished. But the two that aren't are hybrids--one has a head here, the other has a body.

6. I have 15 complete dolls. Some of the doll heads were never intended to have a complete body. I rotate the heads on other bodies if I was inspired to do a photo shoot. Doll faces are interesting to me, but it just isn't practical for me to maintain 50 complete dolls.

7. All fifty something are ongoing.

There will always be another situation they need the clothes for... or whatever. Because they're not showpieces that are done once I have them painted, eyes, wigged and dressed the "right" way, but more a series of malliable situations. They need the right clothes for multiple different occasions/uses/situtions (the Victorian family, for example, all need everyday "play" clothes, Sunday best clothes, party clothes, bathing costumes, nightwear, Edith needs an outfit for a dance recital, Bobbin needs a summer siaour suit... etc.), they're constantly being picked up and played with so never go back in exactly the same spot or configuration, and their interactions sometimes spark the need for some new outfit, or accessory.

Teddy

8. I think I have 10 complete dolls and... 47 incomplete? Some are only floating heads I'd like to buy a body for, others are nearly completed with only a detail missing (like a good wig, or tattoos...). But fully completed with everything, only 10.

9. 1 of each at the moment. And one of each also technically on order xD Half of what I've currently purchase/ have on layaway are fullsets, so I'm generally happy enough to let those be as they come. And Half of what I've bought/ have on order I intended to customize. One is still on layaway and the one I have I just haven't really been inspired by to work on, so I don't know when/ if I'll get around to it.

10. Out of my 10 dolls, two are complete-ish. Granted, one changes clothes every so often, but it's stuff I have already. The other is perfect and I don't want to change anything for the most part. The rest of my dolls either have outfits that need to be made/bought/commissioned or some other aspect that I want to see about changing.

#10 juni-fee, Aug 7, 2022
      Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    11. I also update my dolls’ looks every now and then but I would consider all 15 of my dolls complete.

12. My dolls never feel complete. There's always something. (It's mildly frustrating at times, but I remind myself I'm in this hobby because of the customization opportunities.) I'll make him some new eyes so his irises are smaller, I need to do over her wig, he'd look better with body blushing. Hmm, jointed hands would make him more fun to play with. Now those need to be blushed. And so-and-so is still missing this crucial prop... etc.

If we're throwing out a basic definition as a head on a body, a faceup, eyes, wig, and an outfit? I have six. Floating heads who borrow bodies for a single photoshoot or only embody side characters as needed, or those I'd like to paint but intending on existing only in that way complicate the final number of 'unfinished' dolls. I intend for at least two more to have permanent bodies, so let's say those two are still aiming for 'finished'.

TL;DR Six finished, 2-3 in progress, plus the grey area of perpetual floating heads.

13. When it comes to my collection I’m very much a completest, so each doll is usually done within a few days of their arrival (unless I’m waiting on a specific supply or whatnot.) I was an artist coming into the hobby, so from the very beginning I’ve been able to do my own faceups. And I’ve always been fascinated by fashion, so I can sew my own wardrobes for them too. Anything else, I buy while awaiting their arrival (enjoying the research and shopping aspect of the hobby while I wait.):sweat So once they’re here, even if they’re blank, they’re good to go pretty quickly. Keep in mind that I’ve been in this hobby for a lot of years (since 2006) and have collected slowly, only about 3 dolls per year, so it was managable for me to get them done. I currently have 48 complete dolls, with another one arriving any day now who is fullset (and even has another dress I’ve already made waiting for her as well.) That will make 49 complete:) with 0 incomplete. I may tweak them down the road of course, adding tattoos or artwork or occasionally re-envisioning a faceup…and certainly, expanding their wardrobes is always a thing. But yeah, they’re all complete and happily inhabiting the special display spaces I’ve created for them throughout my home.

#13 PoeticSoul, Aug 7, 2022
    14. I don't know if 'complete' is a thing for me akjdalksjd
      I think once I have a full cohesive look in place, I'm always going to think of the next thing I want to do. I love being able to change things up.

Billy is pretty close, though-- his outfit is so cute I pretty much never change him, I just want to find or make him a new wig.

15. If we go with complete as "has acceptable wig, eyes, and at least one cohesive outfit", then five. The rest are in varying states of disarray and confusion. :lol:

ETA: And if we use the completely satisfied definition, then zero! Because every single one of them is still a WIP and will probably never meet the complete satisfaction definition - there's always something else that can be done to improve or change them a little to match the characters they are meant to represent!

#15 Anriko, Aug 7, 2022
    16. Oh, by that definition, for my fifty or so BJD, the situation swings completely the other way and the answer is - all but the one who needs her head to be dyed and have a new faceup.

Teddy

17. Zero! I have two dolls (Alexander and Roux) right now but waiting on clothes to be delivered for them. I have wigs in hand for both but Alexander's wig needs to be styled. Roux needs anime style eyes which also waiting on those to be delivered. And I have one doll that I sent the head off for a new face up last week. Don't have wig or clothes (or a name lol) for that one. I have several different cheaper eyes (anime and not anime) coming so hoping out of them all I get one pair I really like for each doll

18. Only two of my dolls are "complete" at the moment, but I kind of consider them incomplete since I want to upgrade their styles, new wig and clothes. They're complete compared to my other three that are definitely incomplete. I have one that needs just a faceup, one that needs blushing and a wardrobe, and one that is a new canvas undergoing a complete character change from scratch.

19. In my case, I try to complete my dolls as soon as they get home or else I won't be happy with them. And of course I won't buy a new doll until the previous one is complete. That said, I consider 4 out of 6 totally complete atm.
      The other 2 are quite complete but are lacking just one or two things of the list. The issue is that they recently changed characters and I had to build them almost from scraps (had to buy/make new wigs, clothes, eyes, etc.) so it will take some time.

20. I typically always try to plan my dolls out before I purchase them. That way when they arrive they'll be pretty much set to go! However, there are times where that doesn't always pan out for me. Right now, I have two dolls that are technically incomplete because they are getting their face ups done right now to have them be the way I want them! However, all my other three dolls are here with me and completed!