1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many times have you changed the face-up on a single doll (not including practice face-ups)?

Apr 13, 2021

1. Just wondering if anyone has changed the face-up for a single doll multiple times? If so, how many times? And why?

2. Hm. So far Amyas, my Delf Soony, has gone through three face ups— and will probably get at least a touch up sometime soon since there’s a small chip in their face, if not a whole new face if I can’t seem to match it. Most of the reasoning was simply because I didn’t like the previous ones anymore :sweat

3. One of my girls seems to shed faceups, so I've had to redo it several times becaue it flaked, or rubbed, or whatever.

And I've had a couple redone because they faded and a couple redone because my faceup wasn;t very good so I wiped them and sent them to more talented artists.

Teddy

4. I can't even remember how many faceups most of my dolls have had. Once I was comfortable with doing my own faceups and did them on all my dolls, not just a few, I would do them over whenever I felt I could do a better job. Some of my oldest dolls have had lots of faceups.

My first doll came with a Dollmore default, had two faceups done by a local friend who did commissions at the time, then had god knows how many by me once I felt I could do him justice. He's going to be 13 in May, and I plan on redoing him again because he deserves a makeover for his big anniversary.

My Migidoll Ryu has had almost as many, his first came from his previous owner. I loved it, because it was done by the same artist that two of my other dolls had been done by, so they all matched (and he was only my fifth doll, so that was more than half my dolls!). I eventually had to redo it because every time I posted a photo of him, I got comments like "OH IS THAT *insert name of previous character from his old owner*?!?!" and I got super-tired of it. So I redid him myself, and then redid him many times after that for the same reason I kept redoing my first doll. I was better at faceups, and wanted my dolls to reflect that.

Sometimes I redo dolls when I'm tired of their look - my FL F60 Elf Karsh girl has had the same faceup since she was a boy, and I'm finally about to get around to giving her a new one, in a more gothy-witchy style (my preferred look for my girls). This will be her first faceup, since 2012.

5. My first doll has had so many faceups, I lost count. I’ve had him for 13 years and while I never considered any of them as practice, I did wipe and redo him pretty regularly as I improved my skills. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s probably had around 20!

6. A few of my dolls have had their faces redone 5-6 times. I like to change it up every now and then; try different styles or expressions, something new if I'm feeling bored with the doll, etc.

7. Every once in awhile, I'll just wipe off everyone's face and start over. So 3+ on most of my dolls.

It's good practice for me, and as my faceups improve, my dolls look better and better each time.

8. I want to learn to do faceups purely so I can redo them if and when I feel like I can do better or I'm changing the style direction of the doll. At this point, though, pretty much everyone in my collection still has the faceup that they came to me with.

I can't wait to get a blank head and start practicing!

9. I have painted and repainted a lot of my floating heads many times not for practice necessarily (mostly because I suck, but enjoy painting more than life itself), but I have probably redone my fourth and largest BJD the most. I would guess I have repainted that doll around twelve to thirteen times, mostly because I am never satisfied with my crappy paint jobs (I suck!). I also enjoy modifying my dolls, but also rarely feel satisfied for long after modifying them -- I feel "okay" with the mods when I am done with them, then I obsessively criticize every little flaw I could have done "better," and try to fix it by modifying it again, in an never ending cycle. At least, I used to be like that when I was younger, now that I'm an ancient old fart, I rarely obsess as much. I still look at my dolls, and feel I could improve on the work, but I am a much older lazier version of my past self, and so I just cringe and leave the doll be. DX

I was planning on redoing that one doll I repaint and modify (obsessively) again this year, but then I forgot to place my Aves' Apoxie Sculpt in the freezer, and it's pretty much unusable now. I might still try, but I don't mod large areas at a time, so even the tiny containers last a lifetime (for me). I don't know how wasteful I want to be ordering more Apoxie, if I'm not going to use it all within the year, and forget to put it in the freezer again. >_>;;

If anyone is curious, here are some progress photos of him through out the first six years of his (unfortunate) time with me, he currently looks like this. (:

10. I can't keep count. I change face-ups at least once every 1-3 years?

The only exceptions are Dollzone Lumu and Batchix Clever Little because both of them have the tiniest faces and I can't deal lol

And Dollmore Dell is too new to need a new face-up.

I usually do a new face-up when there is scuffing and when I feel like I could do a better job painting.

11. .

#11 Gintsumi, Apr 14, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    12. I have one that I redid four times before I was happy with it,

13. I repainted SOOM Hyperon romantic head 4 times. The reason was that I could not bond well with romantic head so I keep changing his faceup. I end up move/change him to SOOM Hyun and now I am happy.

14. My poor Volks F57 practically counts as a practice head, I’ve repainted him so often. He is, in fact, just about to go in for yet another lmao! Sometimes refining the look takes a super long dang time.

15. I think Huaisang, my DF-A Angel, has had at the very least 7 or 8 face-up... but he's an old boy, somewhere around 10yo at this point, and I've only recently really found who I want him to be (this being said, 3 of those face-ups were done in the past 12 months because I needed him to be perfect)(he's not perfect, and will probably get a new face in the future)

Little Ghost, my honey delf Pudding, has also had around 5 or 6, but she's even older than Huaisang. I don't think I'll change her current face-up again any time soon though, because I like her how she is. Unless I get a major sealant issue, she's staying like this (also because her face-up was more complicated to do so I'd rather not go through that again for a couple years)

everyone else has had maybe 3 max, but they're all much younger dolls so it makes sense

16. I’ve only changed faceups twice on one doll. Very happy with her current face but my tastes may change!

17. I changed my Souldoll Kid Hari's face-up 4 times. She is so gorgeous, but for some reason every time I did her face it was too harsh and made her look 'old' or harsh. This last time I did the bare minimum and let her features show, it worked out well.

18. I changed my best's doll face-up about 6 times. I did It when face-up had damage, so I did similar faceup all of this times x)

19. 0 times for all my dolls and I really truly dread the day when it becomes inevitable :shudder
      I love their faces just the way they are (whether they were standard, LE, custom or artisan face-ups makes no difference to me) so I really would like for them to keep their current/original face-ups

20. My Doll Chateau Bella is my oldest doll, she arrived home in 2011. I believe I've repainted her about five times, so every two years. My tastes tend to change frequently, so learning to paint my own dolls was essential! Her general style has been consistent, with small changes as my skills improved.