1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you aspire to know about BJDs? O_o;

Sep 6, 2005

1. I don't have much trouble telling the differences between the molds. Putting a name on them, though...
      Myth keeps quizzing me. I might get good at it just out of sheer necessity. :oops:
      The process is facilitated by my brain being a sponge for useless information. (The stuff I need to know though... 'nother story.)

2. I think a lot depends on the owners personalities...some people really NEED to know whats' what about thier hobbies (Probably a Virgo.... :grin: ) and some will find thier favorite companies fascinating, some will get a basic overview and be happy with that.
      The whole point of a hobby is it's what makes each owner happy. Taking into consideration everyone's distinct personality, there will always be someone who knows more than you, has more than you, or can do more than you, just like there will always be someone you can teach, someone you can let hold your doll, and someone you can show your talent to. In my opinion, it's the SHARING that makes this hobby pleasurable. I love having a lot of different people to talk to about something we have in common.
      I can't identify every single face out there, i probably never will, and if you don't care if I know every face, and you still like me, then that makes me happy.

3. I'm sort of aspiring to know everything. :) Since I repair/mod dolls and want to build one eventually, I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the actual physical/structural stuff of the dolls. Right now I'm doing some insane modding on a Rasendo body, and I'm really excited because I'm learning so much about what works and doesn't in a doll (joint-wise and proportioning-wise). It's kinda dorky, but it makes me happy.

I like knowing all the different companies, but I'm not upset if I can't identify a doll on sight. I guess it just comes down to the fact that we all enjoy different aspects of the hobby, so we're all little gurus about different things.

4. I'm kind of a dabbler, I guess -- I sew for my kids, I do their face-ups, I work on little photostories. . . and then I get on DoA and stare at all the pretty dollies in the Gallery. After a while, all that staring's gotta be useful for something, right? So I can identify most dolls.

I think the thing about this hobby that keeps me interested is that there's always something I don't know. ^_^;;

5. At a doll meet, the important thing to know is Your dolls.

I've had the good fortune to attend four meet-ups, and no one was handing out exams at the front door, but instead everyone was saying 'welcome' and 'what doll is That?', and 'could my doll try on that wig?'

At the most recent meet I attended, I got asked 'who's this cutie?' about a dozen times (Cutie Delf Mary--well-named line by CP), and I knew, 'cause Cally is my doll.

There's no need to be able to say, about someone else's doll, 'that's a (whoever it may be) with a (wig) and (eye type), dressed by (name), with a face-up by (person).'
      If you enjoy that aspect of doll-collecting, more power to you.

If you want to play dolls, that's cool.

And if you want to meet a bunch of different dolls without shelling out $$$ a pop, a meet-up is your best bet.
      I always recommend going to a meet for new people just entering the hobby, so they can heft a doll and maybe change a wig, try some poses.

I can't imagine the wonderful doll owners of Singapore would be any less kind & welcoming to you & your dolls than the people around my way have been to me.

Ann in CT

6. I feel very ignorant... but I'm ok to point wich DOD is wich... explain the sizes, how versatile they are, how perfect they are and point DOA to the noobs.
      I don't know much... to me, I know enough to survive the hobby without many questions ^^'
      I don't know anything about custumizing by the way...... Actually I'm the kind of girl that does everything WRONG XD - I don't use mask or take any kind of care while next to msc, I don't take the head off to paint.... I'm a bad sample.
      (terrible sample)

But, I'm ok to help a noob to get into the hobby without much problems... after that, DOA is my source of "go there, search, find 'cause I don't know! ^^' "[

Actually, I know nothing about it's history... and customuzing. So..... I don't know much

Kisses

Cacau

EDIT: Ah, and I don't really want to improve or not... I don't really care... time will make me know it better... I'll just read DOA a lot o.o'

7. I find it difficult to be involved in something for any length of time and not absorb just about everything through exposure alone. I don't actively TRY to learn everything, I just try to have a broad enough base of knowledge so that I'm never confused and can always find out about something I DON'T know about, just by using what I DO know. The more you learn, the more you can infer and be right about.

That goes for everything I do though. School, work, hobbies. It's a personality thing.

8. Well, me I never aspire to learn everything about a hobby/musician/fandom, but somhow without my knowing it, I can become a random fact-dictionary about the subject.(but im still no valentine when it comes to BJD :oops: )

I want to learn enough to help my friends when I make them BJD lovers too, and I want to know enough to make wise buying desicions, so I guess Im at my peak level of BJD info.

On the other topic of this question, being a BJD dictonary dosen't make you a better owner, loving your doll in the way that you chose makes you a good owner, and thats all that counts.:daisy

9. Yes! Exactly how I feel also.

10. Mmm, I'd love to know everything I can possibly know about BJDs. Not for any specific reason, but generally when something sparks my interest, I end up sponging up any information about said subject that I can find.

That, and I love love love learning about things. :D

11. I'm not setting out to know "everything", but I have done a ton of searching and reading and absorbing these last few years when I kept telling myself that looking at BJDs was enough and that I shouldn't buy one. So, I can almost always name that face, ID that artist, etc. I'm the person my friends turn to with the "What was that song?/Who wrote that book?/ What movie was that from? Is that a picture of?" type trivia questions. I'm a little sponge for the useless. :chibi

On the other hand I can never remember my zip code. :?

(side note: RottenLullaby, I like your new icon.)

12. If there's a specific BJD related topic I'm interested in, I'll try and find out as much as I can, but I feel no push to learn as much as I can about everything BJD related--and I don't even attempt to remember all the different head molds. I just look into whatever happens to snag my interest.

13. I just found out about BJDs two months ago and I've learned so much! well much about those things I need to know about such as how to do faceups and so on.. I just can't stand waiting and therefore i collect as much information as possible.. But I still don't know about dolls from other companys than luts, dod and souldoll..

I think theese dolls are so amazing and it doesn't matter how much you know about them if you really love them. It's the attraction to dolls that matterns, not how much you know. :grin:

14. I think that its good to know what can harm the skin of the doll, how it moves etc........but its not really essental to find out about every single detail about every single doll. But its fun and good if you that too and you can learn alot.

15. ...I just realized I can identify most head sculpts out there now. I don't even consider myself a part of this hobby. @_@ I think all the research I've done to ensure that I'm not buying 'fake' or 'copies' or 'scalper's bargain' stuff contributed to me gradually being able to do this.

16. I think it's good to know about them, and to research before you buy. I read a lot before I even joined DoA, I really like to know a fair bit about my interests, especially since I spend so much money on this one! XD

Of course, you really don't need to know everything. I enjoy reading about them and knowing about different things... but it doesn't mean I need to know these things to fully appreciate my trio.

17. The things I've know now was just out of pure curiousity, I'd never leanr everything about all doll just so I can know but I guess the more you know the more you can help people who don't know.

18. actually im kinda content with what i know, i like to hear other info but i dont really ever search for it.. and yes >< i feel ignorant to other owners, but i still think im not too bad with my knowledge xD....i actually searched for months before i ever got one and i do feel people should learn abit, like the basics (if thats the way to say it) but i think there just too much friken info to kno xD so i guess i feel new alot of times....and holy crap do i have trouble with figuring out between glass and acrylic

19. This is pretty much just like me. But I find research fun and fascinating, if you do not like research, don't push yourself to do a huge amount. I just think people need to get firm bearings when jumping into any hobby.

20. No matter how much you know or how much research you do, in the end it comes down to buying a doll because you love it. Sure, it's nice to have some information about the dolls you like & to know the choices you have but other than that it's not neccessary to be an expert on the subject of BJDs to own or love them.

Personally though, I'm an info hound. I've been this way with anything that has interested me. I love learning about different dolls & companies & finding tips on things like face-ups, stringing, mods, etc. That's why forums like this & publications like Haute Doll & FDQ are important to me as is talking with other owners & seeing a variety of their dolls. Would I call myself an expert? No, but I do think I have a nice working knowledge of the hobby & continually try to get more.

Nobody knows it all & the process of learning is half the fun for me but is it neccesary for enjoyment of your doll? Not at all. There's nothing wrong about going with your heart rather than your head. I'd never have less respect for someone that simply bought what they loved. It's your hobby, enjoy it in whatever way makes you the happiest.