1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you aspire to know about BJDs? O_o;

Sep 6, 2005

1. I think people just need to know the very basics. Don't keep your doll in the sun, don't use certain products for face-ups, etc.

2. I aspire to know everything possible about my favourite lines from my favourite company (Soom's Super and Teenie Gems, and their Rosette line). Things like dolls released, different editions of dolls, skin tones available, wig and eye sizes, what clothing from other companies fit, etc. And I like to know about the company itself - things like how long they take to produce dolls, how often they release new dolls, how they handle layaway, how they react to customer's having problems (like dolls broken in transit or needing replacement parts years after buying dolls).

I also follow some of Soom's other lines (Mega, Little and Mini Gems, Mecha Angels and Idealian), but the attention I pay to them varies. Mega Gems I know a lot about, because their fantasy parts can fit Super Gems (which I collect), and their heads might one day be released in Super Gem size (similar to how Soom resized some Mecha Angel heads to Super Gem Size). Little Gems I know a decent amount about, because I eventually plan to buy quite a few of them. Mini Gems I know less about (since I only really need to get a body for my floating head+parts). Mecha Angels and Idealians I know the least about, because those sizes are too big for me.

I don't really feel any pressing need to know anything in particular about other doll brands, because I don't really plan on buying any non-Soom dolls. I don't know much about MSD brands (except a little about what MSD clothing will fit Rosette girls), because most of my collection is SD or Tiny sized.

I don't think anyone needs to know anything to buy a BJD, though. I think you can still have conversations with more knowledgeable people without feeling awkward - I know I'd be thrilled to discuss Soom dolls with someone who only knew a little about them, because they're a doll brand I love and so I have plenty to say about them :XD: I certainly wouldn't think less of anyone for not knowing everything there is to know about every BJD!

3. I don't think that makes you less of an owner. It's okay to not be interested in certain aspects of the hobby. You should focus on what you like. I'm sure at the meets there will be at least one person who is similar to you. Not all of us are technical junkies, although it is interesting to listen to sometimes.

4. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?
      As much as possible. This is one of my 'stress relief' hobbies that I turn to when I feel like I can't deal with the world without blowing off some steam first. Researching things makes me happy and relaxes me as I love to learn, so naturally dolls+learning new things = one very happy me.

How much do you think a BJD owner-to-be should know about BJDs before taking the plunge?
      Honestly? Other than safety precautions, like proper PPE when sanding resin etc, I don't think they need to know anything. I certainly didn't when I got my first doll. Some things are best learnt by experience anyway - re-stringing looked like the worst ordeal in the world before I actually needed to do it myself. You learn more the longer you're in the hobby, so I don't think starting off with a solid base of knowledge is necessary.

Would you have less respect for someone who knew little and bought a doll because it was love at first sight?
      I'd be a hypocrite if I did. I didn't even know resin was plastic when I hit the 'buy' button for my boy. Literally all I knew was that they were articulated dolls that you had to keep away from sunlight.

As an owner already, are you constantly in search of BJD-related knowledge or are you content with what you know?
      I like searching for things I don't know, but I'm at the point now where I feel like I already know the basics.

Or are you focused only on knowing a handful of BJDs that interest you?
      I like to learn about new sculpts even though I won't be purchasing them myself.

Not knowing (or wanting to know) everything by no means makes you a bad owner or less entitled to be in the hobby.

5. I'd like to know everything there is to know at some point because my dolls and this hobby are very important to me. But, there is nothing wrong with not knowing a lot. I hardly knew anything when I bought my first doll, other than how to change his eyes and other very basic care information.

6. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?
      As much as possible in regards to my particular doll.

How much do you think a BJD owner-to-be should know about BJDs before taking the plunge?
      Basics. Although I know there are people out there who buy a doll and learn as they go. Honestly it isn't really my place to tell others what they should/shouldn't know. It's their money :)

Would you have less respect for someone who knew little and bought a doll because it was love at first sight?
      Absolutely not. Everyone is different.

As an owner already, are you constantly in search of BJD-related knowledge or are you content with what you know?
      I am not yet an owner BUT I am still constantly searching for BJD related knowledge. I love obsessing. I'll never be content with what I know because there is ALWAYS more.

I do like to see different sculpts and sometimes get off track reading about them but basically my main focus is on my particular sculpt.

7. It's okay if you don't know every single detail about BJDs, and it's okay if you DO know everything there is to know about BJDs. As long as you can say that you enjoy the hobby, I think that's all that matters.

How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?
      As much as I possibly could. I love the idea of interaction and customization, and I want to know each and every thing about how to make a doll, what's in a doll, what are the complications, etc. I find it all fascinating, considering that there's so much to this hobby than what meets the eye :) When I was saving up for my first doll, considering the fact that I was (and currently am) an aspiring art student and also jobless, I wanted to make sure it was a decision I would not regret. My tastes often change so I wanted a doll that I knew I would have interest in no matter what. And with how many artists and companies there are... the possibilities are seemingly endless!

I think mainly just the basics should be known. In my case, I am a very indecisive person, hence all the researching, but if someone is a bit more "stable" in income and more secure in their decisions, then why not? I think they should at least know how to maintain a doll, how long it takes to actually have a doll at your door, stuff like that.

Nah. I would be concerned if it was something like... "I didn't know that they can't move on their own own and you have to pose them yourself!" or "I didn't know it was bad to throw them in an open fire!"

Or are you focused only on knowing a handful of BJDs that interest you?I'm not actively searching like I used to, but it's fun finding things out when they come to me! Even if I'm not a fan of a sculpt, I still want to see what they look like blank and nude and what their measurements are as an idea of how they were originally envisioned.

8. LOL!!! Oh my goodness. Yes this would probably be concerning. Kind of like when everyone thought the ios7 made your phone waterproof and started chucking them into rivers, oceans and toilets....O.o

9. I'm fine with the basics, but I do like to learn as much as I can in any hobby I'm in. Knowlege is always a good thing, even if it is random!

My biggest aspiration in the hobby is to one day be able to at least recognize any doll's maker, if not the sculpt itself. (Way too many sculpts for that!)

10. When I first got into the hobby, I studied how BJDs were made, since that was important to me. It was also good for explaining to my parents why the price tag was so high, haha. They both respect the hobby a lot now, and often share with my relatives how interesting it is! My mom is especially supportive, she finds my dolls fascinating and loves to look at them. :) So I think it was very important to learn about!

I also like to learn about specific companies I'm interested in buying from, or ones that are more different than others. It's fun to read up on companies and how they've progressed over the years. Reading up on customization and DIY projects is great too, even if I don't plan on doing it myself.

11. I think knowing care basics is what is most important. Being able to tell one brand from another I don't find overly important... I mean, that's something I can only recently do xD and only with certain brands/sculpts. As long as you know about how to look after your doll, you're all good (: When it comes to modding and the like, research is incredibly important.

12. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?

I'm interested in bjds, so I like to know about them.

I'm not worried if I don't know EVERYTHING or if I can't identify sculpts (I suck at that--I can't even identify sculpts that I own!- I can identify my own dolls, I mean I can't always recognize them if they have been customized or styled differently than mine). :sweat

I think they should know the basics, mostly so that they don't get into trouble and buy the wrong thing. With anything, it's good to do a bit of research before throwing hard-earned money around. But if someone doesn't like to operate that way, it's really up to them. It's their money, after all.

It helps to know something. That way you can find the dolls and items you want and make sure you aren't buying the wrong size or buying from a dodgy company or person, or missing the sales period, etc.

If you don't care about that, then don't worry about it.

No. Who cares? Although, if they went around complaining about how they didn't know about something and made a mistake, that would definitely make me think they weren't so smart when it came to buying stuff. But they shouldn't care what I think. It's their own business what they do.

I'm only looking for new info if I'm interested-- like checking out new dolls/companies, or trying to find out how to re-string or whatever. I'm not just looking to find out anything and everything. I don't have the time or interest. But I have to admit that I hang out here and on other bjd spots and look about for stuff I might want to know... a LOT. I really shouldn't be messing about surfing on the internet, but oh, well.

I like checking out new stuff that might interest me as well as the BJDs I'm already interested in.

{I imagine doll talk involves discussing these technical details and exchanging knowledge and news, and I'd feel intimidated since I'm just not into that kind of thing at all.}

Not true. It's not like you have to pass a quiz or you aren't accepted! I've been to meetups where we barely talked about dolls at all! You can just go and pose your dolls and check out others and talk or not talk about dolls. I've been to a LOT of meetups. You don't have to know a thing! There are newbies who go all the time. It's a way to learn a bit, if they wish to. If they don't, that's perfectly OK, too.

Does that make me... less of a BJD owner?

Of course not! There is no qualification anyone needs to meet to be an owner. You can be and do whatever you want. It's fine.

Do you believe it is imperative to become knowledgeable and wise in all BJD related matters?

No. Why?

How much knowledge is enough or is it never enough?

However much you want to know is enough. If you don't want to know anything, that's cool. If you want to be a walking encyclopedia of all bjd knowledge, that's great, but not compulsory!

13. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?
      I LOVE to research, read, inform myself, so I always aspired to know a lot about my new hobby.
      Before I got my first I made sure to read as much as possible, I wanted to be prepared and be able to talk with others and knew how to handle my doll to prevent any major mistakes to happen. Worked out quite well.
      So I'd say I aspire to know as much as possible without getting too specific in some areas (I don't care about certain doll companies so I never made an effort to know much about them, same with a few crafting-related BJD topics, like how to make your own BJD).

The basics on "How to not fuck up your doll after a few hours of owning it".
      No oily stuff, no direct sunlight, no sharpies, always seal before you try to paint something etc.; the basic terms (stringing, face-up, seamlines, sueding...) and how to make the easiest things without flipping your shit (changing the eyes, removing the head...).
      Also not to buy recasts/to buy dolls at shady places and what to expect before ordering, like long waiting times or that your stuff might end in customs.

Yes.
      I'm a bit harsh here but I HIGHLY dislike it when people don't do any research at all, it seem's careless and a bit greedy to me ("I WANT IT NOW AND I DON'T CARE!") and I hate it when they afterwards start complaining about the results of their carelessness.
      Why would you splurge several hundred Dollars on something you don't even really know?
      Would you always throw money at a store without doing a bit of research before?
      Get something without having an idea how to care for it?
      Research is important and it prevents many mistakes, tears and frustration and so many, countless times I saw these exact people whining and complaining about something they could have easily avoided with minimal research.
      However, if they keep it to themselves and don't complain about their laziness I don't care.
      Oh, and as long as they don't walk around celebrating their lack of knowledge and spreading false information and lies, because that's unfair towards other newbies who don't know any better and might believe them.
      If you have no clue at least keep it yourself and don't drag others down.

As an owner already, are you constantly in search of BJD-related knowledge or are you content with what you know? Or are you focused only on knowing a handful of BJDs that interest you?

I keep on informing myself, even though there's not that much more to know...I also like to dig deep into the past, get to know what has happened years ago, what kind of dolls/companies where around etc.
      I try to keep up with the newest stuff happening, but in some cases I limit it to certain areas or companies.
      There's no need to know everything about a company you don't really like, but I think after a while you should at least know this company exists ;)
      It's good to watch out for things out of your usual comfort zone and it's always good to know as much as possible.

14. Just an opinion of someone who's new here but I don't think there's nothing wrong with buying a doll because of love at first sight. And although I think doing some research would be important, I don't think it's imperative for you to be extremely knowledgeable before you buy a doll or go to meetups. You'll have plenty to talk about even with just a bit of research c: And I'm sure the experts would be willing to help you out and give you advice and stuff.

Moreover, I don't think anybody expects you to learn everything right away! In my opinion, this isn't something you have to "work" for. It's a hobby so as long as you enjoy it, it should be fine. Knowledge comes naturally later on.

15. I would love to learn loads I don't own a bjd yet so I thought it was a good idea to do my research before buying one. Knowledge is never enough! But its okay I can't tell a glass eye from an acrylic one :) and I don't think I will ever know the difference. I've never been to a doll meet but I hope to in the future.
      But do not worry ,not having much knowledge does not make you any less of a bjd owner!

16. I like knowing the details when it comes to the dolls that I have in my own collection... but I really don't have the time or the interest to become expert in every company and line out there, or in every doll-related activity. Especially not now, when there are SO MANY different brands and sculpts out there, with more coming out all the time. That's just a monumental amount of information to process.

I guess I prefer the "narrow, but deep" approach to dolly research. I know a lot about the things I care about, but my scope doesn't include a vast number of different manufacturers, or every aspect of the hobby.

17. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?
      I always like to know as much as possible about all my hobbies, but all things in moderation of course. I collect comics too, but I really only care about learning as much as I can about the characters or titles I really care about. its the same with dolls - if I'm interested in a company, I'll research it before I buy, if I like a sculpt I want to see owner pictures or dolls from the company if it's a brand new sculpt. I also love my dolls and want to make sure they stay beautiful and whole as long as possible, so I like learning new and better ways to take care of them. Do I take some satisfaction that after 4 years I can finally identify some Volks sculpts on sight? Sure, but it only came in time and exposure to all the lovely dollies ^^

I think an owner should know basic care at least, like many others have said. No one starts out as an expert, we all must start somewhere, but you should know how to not ruin your doll. Knowing how to restring, what to avoid using on them, and general maintenance is a great place to start.

A bit, yes. When most people make major purchases (and your first doll usually feels like one because of sticker-shock), they do some research before handing over their money. A blue-ray player, stereo, TV, etc can all be items similar in cost to a doll, and everyone agrees it's a good idea to research brands and models before you decide on one.
      New or owners who do not know how to take care of their doll are usually the first to complain and cry for help when they've done something damaging to their doll, and there's been a lot of later whining "everyone is so meannnn! Just because I colored on my doll with a marker/nail polish/sharpie/used a nail file to sand his nose/otherwise ruined my dollll!" in the past when other people admonish them for really messing up their doll(s). An hour or 2 of research could've prevented the mistake in the first place; my parents always taught me to respect my belongings and to me ruining something you spent a fair amount of money on because you're too lazy to learn how to take care of it is pretty childish, especially when the internet makes information so readily available.

I add a disclaimer here that I am not a "cabinet-baby", glove-wearing, my doll is make of soap bubbles and dreams owner lol! I like to have my dolls out, carry them around my house, play with them, leave them in their clothes, and other things that make much fussier owners cringe. I just think we should all aspire to be mature collectors and treat our dolls with respect ^^

As an owner already, are you constantly in search of BJD-related knowledge or are you content with what you know? Or are you focused only on knowing a handful of BJDs that interest you?
      I like learning in general ^^ I think its fun to read about old companies and dolls, companies that have evolved, dissolved, or been problematic. Sometimes you can find something you really like and would've never known about otherwise - Dolkot is an older company that's fallen out of favor (for several reasons), but while doing some research I found that I really like some of their sculpts and gained an appreciation for the older, more stylized dolls that were the 1st ABJDs. That being said, I don't feel the need to be a walking encyclopedia lol. I pay more attention to companies or sculpts I like but I like to have general knowledge about most companies I can.

18. How much do you aspire to know about BJDs?

I'd like to know anything i can possibly know! Although i think i already know quite enough, but for sure there is always something left to learn. I just have to be as educated as possible to provide my dolls best care.

Well, enough to not to cause it any harm by accident, like, do the faceup without using mr super clear. But i think small mistakes are ok, they can always be fixed and that's a lesson too. Can't think of any example of this, but whatever, small fixable mistakes do happen.

I don't really know... Well, probably, like, subconsciously i will, but i know that there's nothing criminal really... I did that myself after all! :3 Bought a doll knowing nothing about bjd's just 'cause that seemed like a dream come true for me. And nothing bad actually ever happened. I had plenty of time to learn more while waiting.

I am pretty much content. I think i have collected enough of knowledge through many years in this hobby. But there's always an area where you're a newbie, like i've never tried making wigs, but i know how to do it, same with faceup etc. So i'm not that familiar with this and can still learn & learn...

19. I think it's important to know the needed facts (like how to care for resin, how to change eyes, etc.) but I don't think every one in the hobby needs to be an expert. There's so much to learn about BJDs, and I'm sure it would take many years and looooots of reading before one can be considered an "expert."

20. You all seem to be pretty smart about them.. is there a good place for beginners to do more research? Sometimes DoA just becomes a sea of threads... I wish there was a website or something...