1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much modding is too much?

Apr 30, 2008

1. Wow that's amazing, Kiyakotari! I've seen a couple of different multiple-arm-pairs dolls and I just love looking at them!! :D

I've actually thought of one situation in which I dislike a modification- when someone mods off a feature that makes a limited version of a standard doll unique. For example, taking vampire teeth or elf ears off of a doll in such a way that it then looks identical to the human standard, removing fins or other unique body sculpt elements when the same body is available in a human form, etc etc. In that case I'd just wonder why they didn't buy the human standard. Usually when people do this though, it creates a non-identical doll (i.e. removing vampire teeth but leaving elf ears on, opening a sleeping doll's eyes but giving it a different eyshape than the awake version, etc), I don't actually know if anyone has modded off a feature like that to create a standard-identical doll. *shrug*

2. I think it really depends because for some people having as little done as mild sanding or a new face-up can result in a "ruined" doll, I'm not sure if removing a face-up is a mod.

Lately I've been liking my dolls or dolls that I would purchase to be orginal. I enjoy it when other people mod their doll as long as it looks professional and not like and experiment gone wrong, but in the end it's their choice to make.

3. Personally, I really love heavy modding, so long as the doll is no longer recognizable as whatever the mod intended it to be. If you're aiming for a broody androgynous male elf and land somewhere around crazed female zombie in an advanced state of decay, you missed a turn somewhere.

I mean, I love Kiyakotari's Hideo, even though I'd never have the guts to make a six-armed doll with a sex change. I still appreciate all the effort that went into making what's turning into a gorgeous mod.

On the flip side, I've seen some things as simple as an eye opening that make me wince a bit because it no longer looks natural.

I think the most important thing is to find a sculpt (both head and body) that comes as close as you can manage to what you want before embarking on a grandiose modding journey. You might find that you won't need to do very much modding at all to achieve the look you want.

4. I do have the belief that the dolls are ours to do what we wish. So I can't really place my beliefs on a ruined doll. Seriously, I think anything different than how you got it is "ruined" XD Ruined definitely isn't the word for it. Ruined is when your doll does a nose dive onto the jagged asphalt as you were doing 60 down the highway, and its remains bounce into a vat of mud colored oil based paint. That is ruined. XD

I do admire people who dare to mod their dolls. It's something I couldn't do, nor could I risk. They are taking their dolls beyond what most people do with a non factory face up and creating something that is truly their own. Really personalizing their dolls into something truly unique.

So if they modded their Bermann into a guitar pick then so be it. (It'd better be a damned pretty guitar pick though if you're going to mod it into one XD)

5. I suppose on the one hand it is up to the individual to do what they want with their own dolls.
      But then again, I can't say I entirely adhere to that viewpoint. I mean, I've seen houses with extensions and such put on that have just made me think, 'what was the point?'
      And cars with all kinds of weird things done to them which lead me to make unfortunate snap judgements about their owners.
      So in the end, I suppose you can do what you like, but you can't expect others not to react to what you've done.

6. I'm a fan of modded dolls, but A lot of modded dolls aren't done in best way possible. I'll admit I'm modded a doll myself, but I tried to do the best job and even then, I know what I did so I can go back and change it.

Modding limiteds... I'm not really down to much with that. I mean, they are limited, and if they are like the Luts Breakaway and such the sold out fast. Its kinda defeating the purpose for getting the limited in a way. To me though.

7. I don't think there's any limit to it. I suppose the sculpt is ruined once you make any changes to it because it's no longer that sculpt, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think we should hold ourselves to the idea of a sculpt. I think certain sculpts are sources of inspiration for people; that might be why they chose to mod a Shirou Tachibana over a less expensive or rare headmold. The results just wouldn't be the same.

8. One of my girls has some 'horror' mods I'm working on, since she's my little zombie girl. She's orriginaly a Dollmore LE30 Noir asha. I got her second hand, so I didn't feel bad about re-doing her face up as it had rubbed off in several places.

The horror mods, are pretty extensive. Her fingers have been sanded to points an then segmented like skeletal bones an distressed. Her arms have had a lot carved out so you can 'see' the bones. One of her arms has been carved all the way through to the other side... but I made sure the remained resin was strong enough to suport itself, the walls of the arm were surprisingly thick! One thing that was important to me is that NONE of her mods have been done to her limited white skin parts. They were all done to extra NS peices I had that were painted to match her, and she can be quickly an easily changed back to her default state!

I also have a heavily modded Dollmore Ray head, that I purchased here on the marketplace. I have NEVER liked the Ray sculpt myself, but I adore this head... though she's not foreveryone. She's had her nose reshaped, her eyes closed to dreaming an elf ears added. Then on that she's had two extra eyes and a patch of scales and horns added to her forehead. And her mouth has been extended up the left side of her face an numberous pointy teeth jut out from it... oh an she has a scar over her eye! XD She's rather scary looking, but I adore her!

9. This! haha

Personally, I'm a fan of mods, a lot of the time when you find a sculpt for a character there's just one lil niggling thing that bothers you about them, so why live with that one little thing when you don't need to? I can see why people get antsy about LE's being modded, but at the same time, I kinda have to respect anyone with the guts to go against the community and do what they like with their lump of resin, LE or not!

Really, I suppose it's personal taste isn't it. I don't have a single "factory standard" doll and that's the way I like them. Many of them have been rescue cases from the MP, often already modded, but even when I buy new from companies they very rarely stay as is for long. I just don't see why I should have to put up with something like a joint that could be better, or a faceup that wasn't suiting the character regardless of how limited it was.

Of all of my horde, I think the most modding of all of them are my two SD's. I tweaked the eye shape on my lishe boy and worked on his body's to have smoother movement, my Robel's SDF body is probably no longer actually recognisable as an SDF body thanks to my partner in crime and her dremel antics because those ridiculous muscles and RIBS drove me insane and as far as I'm concerned, he's better for it!

Essentially, if you're prepared to eat the cost if you can't sell whatever you did to the doll later on, or you have no intention of parting with it, do what you wanna do, it's your cash, your choice as far as I'm concerned :)

10. I love to mod dolls and almost all my dolls are modded a lot. I think there are no limits if you do it well and you know what are you doing, the problem is when people tried to mod a doll without care and ruined it.
      well, I think that if you paid for them you can do whatever you want with them but I'm not able myself to mod a doll when it is very rare and you know that there are only a few in the world.

11. XD! I have to agree with you there!

12. I would LOVE to see her. I think this is part of what people have been talking about RE the importance of planning. You've obviously put plenty of thought into this project.

13. [​IMG] [​IMG]

X3 I'm still waiting to get her some extra feet from Dollmore so I can do the last part, an mod her feet. They'll be done up like her fingers. Sanded to points, an segemented. I need to do a little research on the bones of the foot first, so I'll know how far to carve. I had to sit for a long time, thinking about EXACTLY how I wanted to do everything before I even touched her with a knife once. Cause I knew as soon as I put one cut in her, there was no going back. I sketched everything out in pencil first then slowly started carving away. I -did- get a little impatient on her arm at one point, but suffered the price... exacto knives are NOT forgiving on human fingers :(

14. Wow, before you said you didn't do it to her limited body, I almost had a conniption fit. XDDD However, extra parts are okay. She looks great! Ouch for your exacto-knife accident, though.

16. Thanks X3 I'm really proud of her, she's the first one I've ever done any real work to. Other then just cleaning seam edges or doing faceups.

17. WOW...she's exquisite! I love what you've done here, I'm very impressed!!!!
      :)

18. I think no modding is too much unless you have ruined your doll. (Wich means he/she doesn't look beautifull anymore).

OMG Remmah such a fantastic job you did there :O

19. First I just love the skeleton girl and the six armed doll! I love seeing mods. Sure some of them kinda bug me on a personal level in that it creeps me out and I'd never do that to my dolls, but as its been said its personal taste. It is your doll to do as you please. Sometimes I do feel a little sad seeing a limited be modded beyond recognition, because it is harder to get those. But again its something THEY paid to have and whether I like it or not its not my place to tell them they can or can't do that. I want a Black Lahoo, but I'll most likely get a regular one and if I decide I really need him tanned I'll do it myself.

One thing I noticed though is I've seen people say 'I got it second hand so its ok'. I honestly am more scared of modding a second hand doll! I plan to do a body swap to use a girl head for a boy doll and down the road to do a major mod on a girl. I'm thinking hard about if I want to get a doll second hand for these though. I mean the doll you buy second hand was at one time loved by someone else. Yeah it would be my doll to do as I please as I said before, but with how attached I am to my own dolls it feels like I would be taking someone's kid or pet and that makes me nervous. I'm not saying I won't, just that I'm surprised people seem to think its ok on a doll that was 'previously loved'.

20. I saw a dollzone yuu that was so terribly modded that it wouldnt sell, well pendrithgirl happened to snatch him up and save him. although she had to do a lot of work, her mods to him were beautiful. and although he didnt look like a yuu by himself anymore. He still looked like he could be the brother of her other Yuu.

I do think that modding a limited beyond recognition is wrong [because there were other people that wanted that limited] but i do see how it would be ok if by some chance someone had destroyed the LE and it needed those kinds of mods.. for the better.

me, personally, i wont mod ANY of my dolls. If I don't like them, then i shouldnt buy them. simple as that.