1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you buy a new doll?

Jul 20, 2018

1. I try not to buy more dolls than I can handle. My limit is 10 dolls. To buy new one I have to sale someone from my collection, but It’s so hard every time. So, I don’t buy a new doll very often.

2. I started in late 2016, and now I have like 30 dolls...definitely not the number I initially plan on having, they just multiply...But as I'm already running out of space to store all of them, I guess I will have to control the doll population. So maybe someone has to go to make room for a new doll...that way they don't increase in number, but it's just so hard to do...

3. I went two years without buying a doll, then bought four in the last year. It varies depending on whether I see a doll i want

4. For me it depends on the year. Some years I don't buy any and some I'll buy like one. This year I been really bad at control since I already bought 4 (3 limited and 1 from MOC surprise bag) and 2 on my next to buy. I'm waiting untill closer to the end of the year to buy the last 2 so I can count them as my "2019 purchases". I think I'll stop there because I need to keep my collection to less than 10.

5. For the past five years I've bought one doll every other year (and similarly after buying my first doll I didn't buy a second for two years), but from mid 2010 through the end of 2011 I bought a doll nearly every month. Some of that was that the options on the market were really starting to expand during that time and some of it was just that I'd started working from home and had more fun money available (since the costs associated with train tickets and going out for coffee with coworkers disappeared). I regret some (but not all! :) ) of those purchases, which is why I slowed my buying down so significantly more recently.

6. With the exception of this year, I might get 1 or 2 dolls a year. If I have a doll thats in need of a body or a head, then it’s 1 doll and a body/head.

7. It really depends. A lot of my purchases are secondhand dolls because I love a lot of really old sculpts that aren't available new. But sometimes sculpts I like are released in waves, I'm currently waiting on four new dolls that I've ordered to arrive, and have bought one secondhand recently

8. I've gotten my first two this year, my second one shortly after my first, but now that they're both here they sort of feel like a complete set and I don't feel particularly moved to get any more. Plus, it took me almost a decade to finally take the plunge and get the first one, so I feel like my collection of dolls is bound to be small (though perhaps I'll make up for that in wardrobes :D. I'm having a blast decking out my boys!)

9. Back when I started I ended up with 4 floating heads then I took an 8 year break. I haven't even been back over 2 months and I already bought 2 full set dolls and the bodies for 2 of the four heads. I want to cap myself at 5 but I am already at 4 full dolls and 2 floating heads. I also have 3 second hand dolls I am watching like a hawk I want to get but I need to finish paying off the bodies and 2 new dolls I got. Maybe if I limit myself to 10 I will behave haha. Really do not need 10 though so many limit to 8. I already know the 4 I do have are going to get spoiled with different outfits haha. Someone make me stop. Haha.

10. It depends. Mostly when a doll face hits me in the heart, and I am determined to get him/her. After my first, it was over two years, then only a year, then several years. Last year saw two newcomers to the crew and there have been three so far this year.
      Now I am trying really hard to not even look at any. The 20 I have here need my attention!

11. I will only buy for a special occasion, as there are other expensive hobbies I have like gaming and tattooing so throughout the year that's where I plan to spend random money but since Xmas is coming a doll will be on its way soon then nothing until my birthday

12. I try to keep myself to one doll a year. When I first start I bought one doll and the following year I bought 3. Now I keep to one doll a year. though this year I might fall off the wagon. I blame ringdoll and loongsoul :...(

13. I have no pattern at all, I bought my first doll in Feb and i bought 2 during august.....so whenever i feel like i guess?

14. I have been in the hobby for a decade, and have bought on average a doll a year. I do not buy a doll, unless I can easily afford it, and I have been looking at it daily for at least a month. I do not do impulse purchases.... and I have never sold any of my dolls.

15. So, I started a collecting BJD in 2016 with the intent to only have one... I've been crazy about BJD since 2008, so I don't know why I thought I could stop at one. :sweat
      When I got my first BJD, I thought, "well, just a second one then they'll have each other as company."
      But I ended up seeing a grail for sale on the MP the next year...
      And I ended up seeing a grail on the MP this year... and then a few months later another grail was getting discontinued... and there were these hard to get heads on the MP.... and here I am now. :?
      I swear, absolutely no more new dolls!! I'll focus on getting bodies for my heads, and then I will stop there for a long time. It was never my plan to make so many acquisitions in such a short time. I feel pretty weird about it because I thought it would take me five years or more to get four full dolls. I actually have been keeping a document with my acquisition plans so I can properly prioritize what dolls to get. I just never planned for the opportunities to get grails! But I don't really have any grails now, so I'm safe...:shudder

16. I average one doll per year. I may buy only a head, then two bodies and a second head the next year depending on cash flow, but the trend works out to one doll added to the group annually. It feels like a sustainable rate when it comes to ensuring everyone is wigged/clothed/shod and I still have time to evaluate and change older members of my collection as I go.

Right now I need to sell some things for mental space just as much as funds so I can move on to next year’s acquisitions freely. I have a pretty solid idea where my collection is going, though, and the number of things I need to craft seems to grow exponentially with each new face, so I think there will be a point where I have enough to chew on and things will slow down—likely by the end of next year.