1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. I don't have any BJDs yet, but I feel I would keep open only to close friends that also share an interest with BJDs and my parents. I already do that with anime merchandise like with my ita bags, but I also take those bags out for special occasions (anime conventions) as everybody else does in the hobby.

2. I don't keep it a secret, but don't really tell strangers about it. Except when I'm in the public park, with one or two dolls (or plushies) and a camera, swearing and trying to force them into positions :D

3. I have always been open about my hobbies when I was younger though not many people knew about them as we didn't have the internet so only the ones that asked what I did at weekends found out..
      fast forward to now I'm 56 and the world wide web is at its height and as I share my photos of my BJDs on face book all of my friends on there know my hobby of buying and doing photography etc with them. One friend as been most helpful as she is already a photographer so has been giving me tips and adivse. I wont bore every one to death about it as I know full well It doesn't interest a lot of people, but if any stranger asked me what my hobbies were I would tell them.
      I have found a few give me funny looks but most who know me just think oh here she goes again :wiggle

4. I don't really hide it, but I don't really bring it up either? I've had friends in the past who are scared of dolls, so, meh...If I have people over, I don't put them away though, and am happy to talk about it if asked.

5. I am open but casual about it. Everyone in my life knows about my hobby, they are supportive and think the hobby is really cool. I've mentioned the hobby the randos in conversation and they ask about but don't seem phased one way or the other about it.

6. I am pretty private about my dolls. my parents just think it's great that I have found a hobby that connects me with other people socially. my brother thinks it's hella weird ( to be expected of a basic 16-year-old teen boy, I guess). I am quiet about it to my closest friend since he hates spending money and hates buying anything he doesn't NEED. so you know? it's not something I want to bring up a lot, also my classmates will never know since I don't talk to them anyways and I don't want a chance to be bullied :sweat

7. I'm completely open to talking about my dolls (and dolls in general), but only if I have an interested party and a place for it in the conversation.

If I had a friend who wasn't supportive of it, or of any of my hobbies/projects, I'd begin to wonder if that person was really friend material.

8. I'll tell people, if it comes up! That is, unless I have reason to expect the person I'm talking to wouldn't be too cool about it.

9. All of my friends know that I like collecting dolls.

10. My close friends and family know. I don't make a point of telling everyone I know but if the topic of hobbies comes up I'll most likely bring up my dolls.

11. I don't generally bring it up but if it comes up in the discussion, I'm totally fine with it. I have separate accounts in IG for dolls and personal stuff and I don't publish doll stuff on my personal accounts either on IG or FB (and that's all that I have, I'm not very big on social media).

If I talk about the hobby, I tend to say something like "I collect and customize dolls" and leave out the story/character aspect though. Not because I am ashamed or anything, it's just a slight bother to explain.

12. I don't mind talking about it when people ask and I don't mind if they can't understand either. Different people have different thoughts. =)

13. I'm quite secretive about it because I anticipate the people around me being everything from startled to curious to horrified, and I don't like inviting that kind of publicity and an opportunity for others to get involved in one's harmless hobbies. (Reading is the only 'respectable' hobby I advertise.) I've even kept it from members of my household by confining my doll to the room (for his own safety, really). Only two friends know, and they are close to me. On both occasions it took some time to figure out what their responses might be before deciding to mention it.

14. One cannot know me and not know I have dolls. It's one of the first things I tell about myself. I spend lots of time daily on sewing, so it'd be hard to hide even if I wanted. Also it's helpul when I go out to find some fabric-I need to tell the shop assistant what for :)

#194 CutieKitty, Apr 9, 2019
      Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    15. I'm pretty open about it, but my real life friends find it extremely creepy. :(

16. My BJD are openly on display in my home, and I post about them on Facebook and Instagram. My family must surely know that I own them and my friends sure do. However, I don't think it's something I'd tell people at work just because I don't like sharing my hobbies in general. I have no idea why I just feel a little shy about them though certainly not ashamed.

17. It doesn't come up in conversation very often, but I don't hide it. My family knows about my hobby, and I'm grateful that they're very supportive. They understand the crafting and art aspect of it, and think it's interesting. Most of my friends know, too. One of them does resin casting, so we can chat about that aspect of it. We'll probably make some accessories together at some point.

Generally speaking, I've found people are pretty positive and excited about BJDs. If they seem confused, I pull up some artfully posed company photos or certain artists on Instagram, and that usually helps them understand the appeal of collecting and customizing them. Sometimes people even take the opportunity to tell me about their own unusual hobbies!

18. I would say i am about half open to half closed. somewhere in that grey area.

People know i have them if it comes up, or they may have seen a photo or so on instagram or posting on social media, but i dont bring them with me everywhere, though, i would like to get a cute little chair for my Yosd to he can come to work, but then i wouldnt want anything to happen to him. i still have lots of work to do.

its cold most of the year where i live, so taking them out isnt the best as i wouldnt want the resin to get too cold. so i have done a few meet ups with friends who no longer live here (dont even know at this point if they still own bjds) but i will answer questions, though people here are VERY judgemental about my hobbies in most cases. but i spend my money how i want, and i love all my crew.

I love finding out someone has one or wants to know more about the hobby. i love meeting up with others too to see who they have or brought, it really helps make friends too.

19. Only my fiancé, family, and a couple friends know. My fiancé's family is super judgy and if they knew I collected dolls...ugh.

20. Not very open about it. I’d be happy to talk with someone who’s interested, but when asked about my hobbies I don’t usually mention dolls by name, I just say “collecting/building toys”... for some reason dolls have a really negative connotation where I’m from.