1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. I don't announce it but most people in my world know that I have dolls but since I just now have my first one, I just started posting photos of her. No-one has given any grief about them or anything. To me it is kind of an extension of my art and hobby. If I want to have dolls, I will have dolls, end of discussion to anyone in my world that has anything to say about it. IMO it is no different than collecting vintage cars, baseball cards, or anything else. They can get over it! :)

2. I'm not really hiding them, but they're also not my go-to for things like work meet and greets (which for some reason ALWAYS want "fun facts" about you to share). On occasion someone has seen a picture on my phone or the like, but I don't seek out talking about dolls outside of the forums or friends I know.

3. I'll talk about them if asked, but don't really mention them unprovoked. I just don't feel like there's any natural ways to bring them up in a conversation lol.

4. I tell everyone. They make me happy. I just ignore the bad comments

5. very! a few years ago i may have been a bit more shy but i really dont mind anymore, especially given the types of dolls i like it doesnt really freak people out haha

6. I'm with Kultakorppi in this. I always tell people about it when asked but rarely when unprovoked. Most of my friends know that I own a BJD anyway so there's really nothing to hide.

7. I just consider it a normal part of my life. "While we are out, I want to look at fabric for doll clothes." or "This would make a cute prop for the dolls." or "Do you like this outfit, I think it might fit one of my dolls." are all thing I say frequently while shopping.

Sometimes I get strange looks, from strangers I don't know and will never see again, and sometimes I run into other doll people, and then whoever might be shopping with me has to hear us ramble on about dolls in general for a few minutes. I also have a friend, who doesn't live near me anymore that collects BJD's, I didn't find out about this, until I posted a picture of my doll on Facebook, and she commented about it. I haven't seen her in years, so that was interesting that she also started collecting them.

As far as family? I am the weird doll person, but that's okay, my grandmother was too!

8. I told everyone when I first started the hobby, lol. I think I'm pretty open about most things. People who knew that I used to be deathly afraid of dolls were surprised but overall the reaction wasn't bad.

9. I'm a private person naturally, but I don't hide the fact I collect dolls. If someone asks about my hobbies, I tell them; and if anyone goes to my Instagram, then they'll see my dolls. I don't post them on Facebook outside of doll groups, but that's mostly because I'm not big on Facebook and mostly use it just to store photos of my hubby, kids, and furbabies. I might post them every now and then in the future.

10. I don't think I go out of my way to hide it, but I'm not making efforts to publicize it either. Someone would have to either live with me, be close to me, or also be a doll enthusiast for me to talk about it openly. I just don't see the point in talking about it to people unless they are either fully supportive, or equally as hyped about dolls. I also get tired of having to defend myself to people or answer mean-spirited questions. I don't think it's out of shame, I think it's just that if I'm sharing my passions with someone, I'd like to feel like the other party is truly interested.

11. I am old. One of the things that often happens with age is an utter indifference to people's opinion of oneself.
      So I am open about my unusual hobbies and my somewhat unique work history.
      It's fun!

12. Even though I only have the one doll it's enough that every single family member, and friend that passes through my home has to make a comment on my "scary doll", as if he's freaking annabelle or something. It's not something that I hide, but I definitely don't advertise it. It's my house and I'll do what I like.

13. I love talking about my dolls, but I just moved across the country and since I get to start fresh basically at a new university, I'm not interested in introducing myself with "I collect dolls!" If I mention a meetup or something in passing and someone is curious, I'll elaborate, but I'm good with only other BJD collectors knowing for now.

14. If I'm on the topic of hobbies when talking to others I will bring up my BJDs, I don't have any shame so I don't hide them. That being said, I only show pictures to my friends or on my private social medias. I know how most react "Oh I hate those real life dolls, it's like chucky", and nothing aggravates me more than someone calling my girls Chucky. So in a sense I'm honest but reserved with my dolls, that seems to be pretty common now a days. I think the last 10 years or so being open and honest with what makes one happy, even if it isn't the "normal" sports hobby, has become more accepted, and I hope we all continue evolving like this,

15. Honestly, I'm pretty open with it. I'm a corporate trainer and when we're doing get-to-know-yous as a class, there's a "what's your favorite hobby" questions and I always phrase it as "I love sewing tiny clothes for tiny dolls." And it usually opens a lot of curiosity or admiration of being able to sew. I haven't really gotten any pushback on it so it makes me even more confident when I'm telling someone else about it. I don't know if I'd be able to hold back if I try at this point because I'm so madly in love with this resin babies.

16. I am happy to tell anyone I collect BJDs. I collect realistic baby dolls, and sometimes divulging that information doesn't go over as well, for some reason, but most people find the BJDs to be charming and cute. :)

17. I used to be really secretive about it since the people around me tend to judge others. Collecting dolls definitely wouldn’t be a popular hobby due to the high expenses spent as well >< but as of now, i’m open about liking dolls and my friends are aware too! :)

18. My interest in BJDs is pretty secret... I'm just kinda frightened that others will shun me for how I choose to spend my money (cuz I know it definitely isn't a cheap hobby) as opposed to other things like clothes and stuff lol.

19. For me, it’s not a secret I’m actively trying to hide. I’ve been pretty lackadaisical about bringing in my giant doll boxes and tons of Etsy purchases. But I’m not excited for the day someone in my family or my boyfriend finds my dolls. I’m just scared they think they’re creepy or chide me for spending money on them even though I’m an adult.

20. Not that I'm really trying to hide my hobby, but usually I prefer not to mention it talking to people who are neither very close to me nor doll owners themselves. I don't want to explain that it's not childish, that I have every right to spend my money the way I like and so on. People always have something to say to you and about you, and I hate facing it and defending my hobby. Meanwhile, I admire those who do not care about other people's opinion and go and take photos of their dolls in public places, for example, feeling relaxed. I hope that one day I'll be able to become absolutely indifferent to what others say or think of me.