1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. I've collected dolls all my life, so I'm neither secretive nor loud about it. At work/school I have drawn out a few students out be mentioning my doll collecting, since they have a BJD. They'll ask me if I've heard of them, and I'll tell them I own one. Instant conversation.

2. I am pretty open about it, I think! it depends if the person is asking about my hobbies-- if they do, I usually will mention BJD as a hobby I'm interested in! If it's another hobbyist, sure! If it's someone who isn't into BJDs, then they would learn something new, so it's okay! If a person were to go in my room, they'd see my dolls, anyway, so it's not really a big deal. : - )

but I can totally understand why someone would be a little more reserved about showing their BJD hobby. I've been told by older people, "Aren't you a bit old to be playing with dolls?", but that's because they don't understand the hobby and what it really is. they don't understand the artistry behind it, because they're just used to the conventional idea of dolls society makes, etc.

Also some people can be judgemental about many things. So when you're worried someone is going to judge you, you might keep it to yourself, just because you're worried or anxious about it (and anxiety is a feeling I experience often). So I understand why people would not want to mention their BJD hobby. But on the flip side I've been trying to be super open about my hobby because there's nothing wrong with loving dolls. : - ) also I'm super intrigued and interested in making dolls, too, and the process of sculpting a doll, so I think that's cool and also a good reason to share the hobby with people! Because man, that's a lot of hard work there! I mean, if you watch videos of people sculpting BJDs, you can see how much time and effort they put into making the finished doll look good! I really admire that. (honestly I wish I was better at sculpting, so I can make a doll someday, but that's a whole different topic in itself) : - D

But yea, the point is: it boils down to, does the person I'm talking to know much about dolls? Regardless yes or no, do I feel comfortable telling them about my interest in dolls? Sometimes it really depends on how well I know the person and how I feel about them, too. If it's just posting pictures of my BJDs on the internet, that's another thing! It's somewhat different if you're talking to someone about your interests, I guess. At some point or another people are going to know I like BJDs. and that's fine with me! : - )

3. I agree with this 100%!! : - D
      I have lots of different hobbies, ranging in very different areas too! and I do agree it's really bad when people are bullied or insulted for their interests. It's like when people used to make fun of me (and others I knew at the time) for being into Pokemon.
      But I still like Pokemon! and who cares, right? So yea I agree with you! don't let those types of insults get you down! find people who will embrace and acknowledge your interests! (and maybe share your interest, too?) : - )

4. Yeah I have a handful that I’ve always left out. My friends think they’re weird or ignore them but the way I decorate is very weird. My aesthetic is heavily inspired by New Orleans so I have creepy catholic art and Victorian mirrors draped in rosary beads and Mardi Gras beads lol so my friends are like “oh. That’s just Adam.” However, since Covid I’ve accumulated a lot more and no ones been to my place so they’re out everywhere on dressers and crowding my bookshelves that if a friend WAS to come over, I’d probably put a lot away. It might be overwhelming and I think I do experience some shame around it which stems back to my youth and kids making fun of me for being a boy who plays with dolls. But I’m slooowly starting to gain some confidence around it all and getting more comfortable with this hobby of mine that I love. And I’m getting to that age where I stop caring what people think about me. So maybe in the next few years I’ll be able to come out of the closet around it all. So I totally feel you. <3

5. As an older man, I am not very open about it, for fear of being seen as 'creepy'. When I first started getting into the doll hobby, even other collectors thought a man collecting them was creepy, but I think it's become a much more accepting community full of collectors of all genders.
      Outside of the hobby, I will only bring it up when I have been friends with someone for a while, when they have got to know all about me and the type of person I am. Once they are cool with all sides of my personality, then they get to know all about the dolls, and they all seem to go 'that's totally you!', like of course that's the sort of thing I would be into! I joke that I find it easier to bring up the fact that I collect medical antiques than it is to say I collect dolls. The friends who I have told have all been really cool about it, because they are people who are arty, nerdy, interested in fashion etc, so they find something about the dolls that appeal to their interests.

6. I've been talking to everyone about it whether it be friends or coworkers :D

7. I'm pretty open, though I don't like to show people pictures. I also sort of try not to say I "collect" dolls simply because I feel like that might sound scary to some people. But most of my friends know about my bjds to some degree.

8. Hoooo boy, storytime! I used to be SUPER embarrassed by my hobby. I've been in this hobby since I was a high schooler, and I did an entire presentation for my speech class on the history of BJD's. I was really proud of it! People were actually interested in them and thought it was really cool how you could customize them, but the second I actually brought my doll out a lot of people bullied me and I was kind of traumatized.... Even my close friends said they're really scared of dolls and I felt really bad!!

This bothered me so much that one day, a boy I was going on a date with saw a photo I had "liked" on Instagram of a doll and started laughing at me for it. I got so embarrassed I literally stopped talking to him, even though looking back I think he was just kidding. I know it's really stupid now but at the time I just was so freaked out someone knew about my "secret" and I didn't want him to make fun of me.

Now, it's been 12 years... I'm a lot older and I live in a big city where people are encouraged to be themselves. BJD's are the only hobby I've ever had that actually stuck with me into adulthood, and they bring me so much joy, I finally stopped caring about who knows. I tell people up front if they ask about my hobbies, and when I was still single I would bring it up pretty quickly because I wanted my boyfriend to accept it. Now I'm dating someone who encourages my hobby! I figure everyone has a weird thing somewhere, BJD's are a pretty harmless thing and it makes me really happy ~

9. I don't have a BJD doll yet, but once I do get one it would be out and known to the world just like all the other things I proudly collect. Even if I'm not allowed to fully display anything, I don't shy away about it from friends and family.

10. I think I might be a bit closeted with this hobby. Sure, my family, boyfriend, and some of my friends know, but it's not something I like to talk about much to people I don't know. Maybe it's more like a personality trait, I don't feel the need to open up about my hobbies to almost anyone.

11. I’m reading these replies and I’m so glad I’m not the only one who is quiet about this hobby. My family absolutely makes fun of me and thinks I’m childish for collecting...it’s as if my mom is ashamed. I try not to talk about dolls too much around my family at all. When my friends come over they legit try to break into my room to see them and then laugh about how creepy they are. A work friend found out once and was like ummmm yeahhhhh weird. So yes, I also keep quiet about it. I don’t see why it’s such a bid deal to my friends and family who have to harp on it. How is it any different from collecting things from Star Wars, Star Trek, or even model cars? No one seems to rip on those hobbies. Aaaaanyway....life goes on.

12. I am pretty open about all of my hobbies whether it be reading, photography, or doll/toy collecting. If someone has taken the time to get to know me, they are typically not surprised to find out I have a collection of adorable dolls.

13. My family and friends are fairly supported. They don't ask or show much interest, and I'm still learning that they don't have to for me to feel good about my hobbies.

14. It never occurred to me to be secret about it, but I am part Japanese, and we have always had dolls around the house. Dolls are a part of our culture. We have special occasion Hinamatsuri dolls but also dolls we keep out all year. I've taken classes on kimekomi doll making and am still at apprentice level, and my family is very supportive. But, dolls have always been celebrated as fine art in our culture. And adults, including men, appreciate the beauty, skill, and artistry. Some have religious and celebratory meanings. I am sad to hear about people who feel like they are shamed for their love of dolls. Art comes in many forms.

15. My family and friends know about my hobby. When I meet new people, I won't tell them at first.

16. My mum knows, but she's also into a lot of craft hobbies and has made dollhouse miniatures and scenes before, though usually she sticks to 1:12 scale. She called my LittleFee creepy though.

A few of my friends know because I just have to vent how excited I am sometimes. They've been pretty patient and tolerant--so far! It's hard to get a conversation going about the hobby, I don't know anyone else that is into BJDs. Closest I can think of is Warhammer miniatures, so kind of apples and oranges there.

My roommate has been pretty cool about it. He thought my doll would be creepy but he said she actually looks pretty nice, and he likes what I've got for my room box project so far. I'm glad nobody I know has picked on me for it, but I'm not about to go telling my neighbors or anyone else. I grew up liking puppets and learned firsthand the weird expressions people make when you tell them that. I want to think "Who cares," but I'm still a very sensitive person by nature, so I'm selective with who knows. That's one reason I like DoA so much, it's like a safe haven for collectors.

17. I think for me, it's less the actual dolls I have any shame over and more how expensive they are. I'm not frugal by any means, but I grew up financially insecure and like to keep my savings very thick and relatively untouched. The dolls immediately equal dollar signs in peoples eyes (if they're aware of the hobby) and I've still got the residual shame on spending so much money on something that serves as nothing more than happiness for myself.

My partner is extremely supportive, however ; she loves them as much as I do. So that's good enough for me.

18. I am pretty new to this hobby but I treat it equally to my other "nerdy" hobbies (collecting & painting tabletop miniatures, D&D, lolita fashion) which means I am pretty open about it. It's such a wonderful and creative hobby :).

I do have some friends who find dolls creepy but they are not disrespectful about it. It's just not their thing and I respect that. At work I am the only one with "nerdy" hobbies but it's not a secret at all.

19. I'm pretty open! But I think I'm also physically incapable of being subtle... :sweat:sweat

Shout out to my friends who put up with my endless spam of "oh my god look at this sculpt" and listen to me ramble about doll ideas

20. Honestly, there's not often a chance that something like talking about collecting BJDs ever pops up in my life. My friends who collect different types of dolls know, and I think I've posted a picture or two. But once I get more into the hobby, I plan on filling my social feed everywhere with the cuties haha.

And I hope I can help my friend get back into their own collecting!