1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. I'm very open about it to some of my friends and will talk about them freely, but in general don't really talk about my hobby (or hobbies overall) to everyone. However, I've never hidden the fact I have dolls either just will not talk about them until asked and I'm more than happy to talk!
      I'm not embarrassed nor ashamed to have them and I've taken my dolls to events and out in public multiple times, its just a case
      that some of my friends/colleagues really do not care at all about the hobby or are even scared of dolls so I don't feel the need to bore by talking about them constantly! hehe :)

2. Well, I don't tell that much about BJD's to other people. I'm not embarrassed but most people just are not interested in them so why bother? I don't talk about my horses to people who are not interested in them, or talk about metal music to somebody who doesn't like that kind of music.

3. Family and a few friends know. I don't mention it at work: I say I collect figures or toys. I doubt my colleagues know about BJDs, and I just don't want they 'ugh, that's creepy!' reaction I've had in the past.

4. For me it is also a difficult question: " is it hobby?"
      For sure I know, that I am not a collector, because I'm not keeping my dolls in mint condition, of cours I like first to give them a life, but then, I really play with them, they are on my desk, when I'm working, or they are waiting for a new dress, they are in my bed , when I'm looking a movies, in my bag, when I travel... It is part of my life..
      Can you say about 4 years girl, that she is in a hobby of Teddybears....
      Maybe, would be wright to give a names like: BJD art creator, or BJD player, or BJD hugger and kisser and clothes buyer...;)

5. I've only told a few people. Just my partner, my parents, and close friends. They're all pretty accepting, they realize it's my thing and that I enjoy it. I recently decided to tell my favorite aunt, and she actually told me it was impractical :| So for now I'll keep it between those closest to me, and all of you fine folks.

6. I'm only open to people who I trust. I don't share my hobby to those I'm not very familiar with, or are known to have judgemental traits.

7. I'm reasonably open. I don't bring it up without asking, and I no longer take my larger dolls out in public regularly, but I do post pictures on my main Facebook feed instead of just in BJD groups. I don't show off my dolls, but I don't hide them either.

8. I don't always talk about my bjd hobby to people, but I'm not in the closet. I don't talk about my bjd hobby to people I barely know. Most of my friends and my family know that I have a bjd. I don't tell them how much I spend on my doll. They do know that I post pictures of the doll online and they are cool with it.

9. Pretty much I only tell people who would be seeing them when they visit anyway, so close friends and family. They understand it's something exciting for me like any other hobby, even it's not personally something they are into or know anything about, so that's good enough for me!

10. I am very open about the hobby. Why bother being in closet? If someone is going to judge you and ridicule you based on your hobbies are they really someone that you want in your life anyways?

11. Depends on the person. I’ve shown off pics of my girl to some women I know and they both thought she was gorgeous. I think if one of them was younger she might’ve gotten into the hobby because it’s cheaper to make a Civil War dress for a doll, rather than herself (she’s a re-enactor, talk about expensive! One of her dresses can cost as much or more than a doll depending on how specifically and authentically you want it done).

On the other hand I work mostly with guys whose big spending is on fishing and hunting gear. Or working on cars/motorcycles. I’m pretty sure they’d be baffled by the idea of bjds as a hobby. I doubt they’d be hostile or anything, but if I gushed over it I might get mocked, but then fairs fair, I’ve teased them when they start going into detail about their hunting camp plans.

12. I learned the hard way.... told a colleague (who seemed very open and supportive) about my hobby, who then asked to see my instagram of doll pictures... she showed it to my other colleagues behind my back and they all made fun of me and called me creepy. This is a group of adults in their 30's and 40's who should have known better.

I don't work there anymore.

Only family and a few close friends know about my hobby. I'd rather connect with collectors on my (new; deleted the old one) instagram.

13. I'm semi opened about it because some remarks are pretty insulting.

14. Not very open about much of my life these days, but I don't purposely keep my dolls a secret from anyone which has resulted in some good natured teasing which I don't really mind and occasionally being treated rudely for it (which really bothers me) but I'm done trying to fit in the mold of 'normal' so love me, love my dolls or at least be understanding of their worth to me.

15. I have a few friends says that my dolls give them nitemares! So i dont post them on my facebook, i only post in private doll group and instagram so they can unfollow me if they are uncomfortable.

16. The only people that know about my bjds are parents and siblings. But they don't really know about them, you know? They just think they're dolls I do things with... they don't know about their characters, why I collect them, what I do with them, or what they are :( But then again, I don't talk to them about it.
      I would classify myself to be deep in the closet of this hobby. I don't have any real life friends so who would I even tell anyways? But I would choose to have my siblings not know that I collect dolls because I see it as my 'thing', my safe place to be.

17. I'm always eager to talk about them, so I generally don't hide it.

18. I don't hide it. I'm not a very talkative person but I tell everyone, who asks me, about my hobby. My partner collects them and all my other friends too. So I have nothing to hide and I don't know why I should.

19. The subject usually doesn't come up. I don't keep my dolls out on display due to our cats. My family knows I collect dolls but are not interested in them. I talk with my husband about them. It was amusing to find out that I actually had a few friends from another hobby that also owned BJDs--I think I posted a picture of one of mine and they were all "!!! We didn't know you liked BJD's!!"

20. I talk easily about my hobby to people.
      My familly and friends know about it (I had a cousin who used to collect doll) and a talk about it to my cowokers if I feel it.