1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. I often get asked something interesting about me and I tell them that I collect expensive dolls. It's a great ice breaker.

2. I don`t hide my love to bjd. But also I don`t talk about this with every person. I have tried to say about this with my familiar. It was a big mistake ). Because now I`m discussing only for my mother. For other people around me BJD dolls are very expensive and useless.

3. Look, I wont go around telling people ‘I play with dolls’ but if someone asks about my hobbies and I trust them, or I think they will be into it I will tell them/show them

4. My dad will never know how much it costs (at least I don’t want him to) but my mom knows about the hobby and has gone to a doll convention with me! I talk my little brother’s ear off about it and my girlfriend accepts my interests. Honestly, I got lucky enough to be open about the hobby in front of the people I care about. I usually bring it up lately because I’m just so excited about bjds, but then again I’m mainly talking to a couple of people or total strangers.

5. I'm closeted :XD: My best friend new about it, because ages ago we started to look bjd pictures together, and planning to buy one one day - now I bought my first one and she's also super exited. But I'm not very open to the 'public'. I feel I always need to lie to my family about the actual cost - hehe - and still they think I'm crazy... Also someday I would like to bring my boy to an outside photo shooting but afraid about people T-T .

6. My family simply goes " you're to old for a toy why do you have it?" And none of my friends are interested in them. T__T I am pretty open about it but scared of what people could think about it.

7. Yes, the real cost of dolls scares many people...

8. Most of my family and my closest friends know, and I've posted pics online on Facebook and instagram so most of my internet friends/aquaintences are at least aware of it, but anyone outside of that probably don't know. Like, none of my coworkers know. I keep my personal life and work life completely separate so none of them really know me outside of the workplace. I doubt they would understand or appreciate my interests not only in this hobby but most of my others, as well. And I'm just a very private person so I don't tend to advertise myself or talk about my interests unless I'm really comfortable with the people I talk to.

9. I am pretty open about it, I even told my boss at my job interview, and still got the job so lol. Actually they found it really interesting that I design and sew clothes for them.

10. I used never tell anyone about my interests in the fear of being rejected or made fun of etc. and it was really stressing. Nowadays I openly tell anyone who asks of my hobbies.

11. All my friends know I have dolls, and my parents and siblings too. I’ve always been kind of nerdy so BJDs just one more nerdy thing ^-^. I dont generally bring up BJDs to others unless they seem like they’d be interested. For example, one of my coworkers had lived in Japan for a few years I college and mentioned having gone to some of the Volks picnics with a friend who had dolls... I couldn’t help but tell them them I did too!

12. I'm pretty open about it. I don't like to push my interest on people if I don't think they're into it, so I usually won't discuss things unless someone brings it up first. I try not to post a lot of dolls stuff on fb because most of my friends there aren't that into dolls, but if there's something I think they might like, then I'll post it.

I don't have a job or family or friends that I need to hide my dolls from, fortunately.

13. Well, my friends and family knows... But I don't disclose this information to work colegues for example... Or people who don't like art in general, otherwise they think I'm kind of a weird person (and who are not?)

14. It's a bit of a "open secret" that I collect dolls at home, but when it comes to discussing my hobbies with others, I leave BJDs and anime out.

15. Personally I enjoy being open about it with others! I’ve even managed to convert friends to the hobby. It’s fun being able to express my love of the hobbies with my friends, and seeing other people’s dolls is always great!

16. I just ordered my first doll and I've been telling everyone I know about her lol I cannot contain my excitement !!!! but all my friends are just as weird as me and creative so they all think it's really cool, they can't resist the cuteness of her face when i show them pictures ^^

17. I suppose I'm secretive about it because I tend to skip BJDs altogether if someone were to ask me about my hobbies. Then again I don't tell acquaintances many things just due to the fact that I'm an introvert and only want to discuss a topic if the other person truly shows an interest. I know dolls are not a typical or popular hobby so I'd prefer not to deal with "Chucky" comments because I find it rude and insensitive. Maybe I'm too serious about the whole thing, but I put a lot of time an effort into my dolls and I love them dearly and I don't want to share them with people who don't understand or don't care. I don't hide them in my home and chat about them with close friends and family, so those closest to me definitely know about my dolls!

18. I don't hide my BJDs but I also don't go out of my way to talk about them unless people asked me specifically. In my personal life, my close friends and family are aware of them and haven't thought anything of them. My co-workers do not know about my BJDs, though I do work in the contemporary art business so it wouldn't be completely out of place if it ever slips into a conversation.

19. I don't necessarily "hide" my hobby, but if people don't know me very well or if I don't trust them then I don't tell them.

20. You can't take outdoor photos if you won't carry your models in public.

The elves are my primary hobby. Not mentioning them wouldn't make sense.

Then again, I am a mohawked slab of spikes, pleather, and Victorian lace. The last thing people are going to judge me by is the toy I'm carrying.