1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. VERY open I'm not ashamed, though only my friends and those online (where its allowed) know what I really use this hobby for, my parents just think its another one of my weird collecting fits.

2. My doll hobby isn't something I talk about to uninterested parties. Friends and family know I collect, and you're definitely going to figure it out if you ever come to my place, but it's not a topic I engage in with everyone. I have friends who are aware of the hobby but don't care for it, and that's fine. I have friends who also collect and we can geek out together. No one in my professional life knows about it, because why would that be relevant?

So I would say I'm open about it to someone I know outside of a work setting, but I don't talk about it if the person I'm with isn't receptive. There has been many times where it's just been an acknowledgement: "Oh, you collect dolls? Alright, I didn't know that."

And that's all it needs to be.

3. Hmm...what do you "really" use it for?

Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by those who are quick to judge and won't bother to understand why bjd dolls interest me. However, it is fine for now and be private about it. I have one close friend that is very understanding and doesn't judge :aninja:

4. Can't say cause its NSFW and I got in trouble for mentioning it before, if you really want to know you could PM me though:

Or I guess the SFW version of it would be: I use them to promote a childish/cutesy aesthetic in order to attract guys. Think of it as my own personal form of a mating ritual.

5. The only tiny bit of garden I have is in front of the house, so if I photograph my dolls outside it's generally there, in plain view. Everyone walking their dog will know I play with dolls and take pictures of them...
      Other than that, my dolls are all in my hobby room, on the ground floor, and they're mostly in a glass cabinet, or on my desk, or on my sewing table.
      I have a group of six SD boys in my room, and none of them are particularly cutesy... Not sure I'd like the guys they might attract... LOL!!!

6. Within the family: open as heck. I'm on vacation right now in my aunt's and my doll is just there in the living area. Nobody in the household cares about it so it puts at ease that it doesn't catch too much attention xD
      I only post about my doll on certain social media too, so I can't say i'm as open when it comes to online/other people.

7. I like dolls, teddy bears, vintage toys and music boxes... and everybody know that.
      I use to tell people about my collections, I avoid to speak too much because I don't want them to get bored.
      But actually a lot of people have different hobbies and it's fun to share our experiences.

8. I'm not very open with it. This hobby means a lot to me and I am very worried that people finding out about my hobby may say rude things that could damage my love for the hobby. My family is supportive of the hobby but I still haven't told my boyfriend. I even setup a separate Instagram to post about doll things and see doll related content.

9. I only told my family and my close friends that have an unusual hobby too.

10. I’m not super open about it. My family knows, my close friends know, any friend that bothers to follow me on Instagram knows. But it’s not something I bring up in general conversation....mainly because some of my friends are going through some tough financial times and I would feel like a jerk saying how I bought a several hundred dollar doll when they’re struggling to make ends meet. It’s more something I quietly enjoy on my own.

11. Everyone has a hobby. That's my line when someone tries to badmouth my dolls. I'm not hiding the fact that I collect dolls and I'm always interested in seeing how other people react to it. So if there are people questioning my hobby, I question theirs and then we come to a point where we see that everyone has a hobby and no hobby is cheap or is liked by everyone <3!

12. I'm pretty secretive about my hobbies, especially my dolls. If you come to my house, you wouldn't know I collect them, until you get to my room. They're Everywhere!
      I think I would be more open about things if people were more open-minded. Until that happens, I guess it's my little secret. :D

13. I have to get my doll parts delivered to my dad's work place because I don't trust my neighbors to not steal it off my front door step, so I'm used to people seeing me handle doll pieces and having casual conversations while doing so. In short, I'm not ashamed at all, but that might be because I'm already so used to being bullied and made fun of for the things I like that the judgement just makes me laugh more than anything else. I also annoy the heck out of my roommates by asking opinions about how I should style my dolls and how to theme them. The amount of "I don't care, but I'm going to respond anyway" looks I get daily is amusing.

14. I'm very open when as in I feel close to no shame if this hobby is brought up in a conversation. I'm willing to bring it up myself if need be. Then again, nowadays I'm pretty picky when and where I'm open, if this makes any sense. It's mostly due to the fact that I'm tired of answering loads of questions and dealing with the answers. Mostly it's about the costs and me being not-that-wealthy right now. I feel like I have to make excuses and explain too much and then I'm kind of ashamed for taking part in such a luxury hobby? But when it comes to people I love, I'm all about rambling and answering questions or when I'm prepared to do so in a casual conversation with some rando. People are nice in default, I think. I'm just lazy and/or tired.

15. Close fiends and family know, not afraid to tell about it.

16. I'll talk about it if it's brought up, but it never really is. I have close friends who know because they were with me when I originally got into the hobby, and some family. I'm not really worried about judgement from others, they know I'm already a bit weird if they've talked to me enough. If anyone wants to be rude about my interests, they don't belong in my life. The only one I'm worried about is my boyfriend, but he seemed ambivalent the one time I briefly mentioned it to him. I should probably bring it up more with him since we plan to live together. I don't want to spring this on him.

17. My Large dolls sit on a book shelf in my room, the smaller ones are stored in a clear storage bin.. I’m always buying more dolls stuff or making things for them, so I’m pretty open about my collection.

18. Depends on the person. If i know the person it's easier to tell them about it. But I have no problem telling people about it if someone else mentions it in passing and they ask about it further. Anyone can try to rip into me for my hobbies but they had better be prepared to get the same level of grief from me for anything at all about themselves. I'm too old (any age is too old, imo) to take that crap just cause they're too ignorant to dish it.

19. I usually tell people I like doing 3d animation and that leads into the BJD as a hobby if the conversation goes well. I don't usually bring it up out-right because I'm worried people might be weirded out by it. A lot of my friends already find BJDs 'creepy'.

20. Anyone who knows me already knows that all my interest and hobbies are quite obscure.. so it came as no surprise when I stared announcing and showing off my dolls.. I’m totally okay with the negative reactions from some friends/work colleagues :) I wouldn’t discuss it with someone I didn’t know very well because I like to save my weird interests and drop them like little surprises as I get to know people XD