1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How open are you with your BJD as a hobby?

Sep 18, 2017

1. My friends know about my hobby, but my work colleagues don't. I have a separate Instagram for my dolls so other people don't see them. My partner is aware of them (but not interested) and my best friend is the reason i'm in the hobby in the first place! haha

2. I'm not that open about it. I've only told one friend so far, and she's the one I tell everything too. I wouldn't tell my workmates or friends that I don't trust as much. My mum knows but doesn't truly understand, and my dad would only know if my mum has told him, but he would definitely not understand.

3. I’m pretty open with how I’m in the hobby. I usually explain them and how they can’t really be played with, and most people find it pretty cool

4. I'm not open with it outside of the community, very few of my non-hobby friends (even online ones) know of my dolls. I'm very aware that some people thing adults with dolls are weird, that dolls are weird, and I want don't want that sort of attention
      Unfortunately, if I'm out with my mother, she has a tendency to bring it up to people =/

5. Only my closest friends know my doll hobby. I keep this away from my parent and family members. I just don't want to get into an argument with them, since people often have misunderstanding about this hobby. But I am upset that I can't display them proudly in my room. I have to keep them into the box so my mom doesn't find out. Hopefully. one day I have the courage to show them.

6. I'm very open about collecting BJDs. It's a beautiful hobby & I love sharing my dolls with others. Many non-doll people have never heard of them & I've found most folks are interested in learning more. Very recently I invited a group of ladies to my place to look at the dolls. They'd heard me talk about them & wanted to see them. It was a very positive experience as this was something new in their lives & I felt so thrilled to introduce them to something I love.

7. I'm mostly open about my dolls to my friends and family. I had all kind of reactions when showing them to others but they are part of the me-package so imI not afraid to take them to the street with me or display them at home where they can be seen.
      As a funny sidenote, I once started talking about dolls very passionately and showing pictures of them to a guy who was bothering me at class to see if they would scare him and he would leave me be. Didn't work out but it was worth the try xD

8. I'm open about it with my friends but my family wouldn't approve so I don't talk about it around them. I seem to gravitate towards niche hobbies in general so it's a dichotomy I'm pretty used to;;

9. I only have one doll which I'm too scared to take out to conventions just because I'm busy with my table and I don't want him to get damaged or lost, otherwise I'm open. If anyone visits and sees him I'm more than happy to have them look at him and talk about it :)

10. I'm open. Though I wouldn't flood my facebook timeline with doll photos. Maybe I'll post it in private and put it in public after a week because I understand many people are afraid of dolls. I don't hide my hobby though, and I really love it that whenever a person sees a doll they always tell me about it. It makes my resources wider when it comes to doll accessories purchasing. Dolls are like the trademark of my personality. Plus, I grew up in a family who loves dolls. My mom likes dolls (especially stuff toys), my cousins LOOOOVEEEEEEEEE dolls. In my grandma's house, I opened the picture box and found photographs of my cousins in other countries and their rooms got lots of dolls too haha. Another cousin has a cabinet full of dolls. I'm thinking she got maybe 200-300 dolls. Now I think it's in the bloodline of my family to collect toys (The guys are addicted to miniature cars)

11. i don't mind allow certain people to know:hug:

12. I'm very open about my dolls. All of my coworkers, family and friends know I'm into dolls! My coworkers are always asking me about my dolls when I come into work LOL Everyone has been incredibly supportive and even excited to ask about my progress with dolls and I'm extremely grateful!

13. I only told my daughter and a couple of close friends. If I feel other people wouldn’t understand I don’t tell them. I can’t be bothered justifying my hobby!

14. At first I was going to try and hide it, but then I just got so excited that I kinda blabbed about it to a couple of the other girls at work. So now it's pretty much out in the open.

15. I am open to it in terms of posting picture on Instagram. I’ve only actually talked to my best friend about it though, like just about what clothes I’m making for her, etc.

16. I guess I'm fairly open, I post my dolls to Facebook and all my real life friends know about them. That's a two fold reason though, firstly I live in an apartment with my husband and I don't really have room to hide them from view, secondly my friends are artsy nerds like me and tend to like them. Co-workers and random people I am much more cautious around. I take my dolls to meets by the lyft app and I always put my babies in a giant non descript suitcase and say I'm going to a craft meet.
      My husband and his friends aren't crazy about dolls and people can be really judgmental towards those they do not know. So I don't tend to mention my hobby unless I know a person fairly well and share some interests with them.

17. V E R Y open. Like I don't babble away about them to people that know nothing, but if they catch a glimpse of what i'm looking at on my phone or they ask about my hobby i don't hide the fact that I collect dolls. If they inquire further I am easy to show them my collection since it's easier to show than to tell and I happen to be quite proud of them... Usually people are thrilled xD My coworkers keep asking me to bring different dolls at work now...

18. I don't talk about it unless prompted with most people. If someone inquires about my hobbies or specifically asks me about dolls, then I'll happily discuss it, but otherwise I don't mention anything.

19. At the moment, I don't tell anyone at all, but I'm hoping with more time I'll get more confident and be able to talk about it more openly with people. :)

20. Fairly open. Although I don't spam my dolls everywhere, if someone really is checking me out online, they can easily find them. Luckily, I'm not in any sort of career where dolls might possibly be viewed oddly. And if friends and relatives don't like dolls, they can just not look at my doll-related posts! :XD: