1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Prepared were You When You Got Your First Doll?

Aug 19, 2017

1. Let's just say I accidentally bought $200s of yosd clothing for a 72cm boy...yikes.

2. I had pants... And I had ordered shoes and a wig that weren't supposed to arrive for another two weeks.

He had pants.

3. I had done years of "research", watching how-to's and unboxings and reading everything I could get my hands on. I think it was about 6 years of spectating the hobby before actually taking the plunge and buying a doll. By then I knew more or less everything I needed to about caring for a bjd, but it was still daunting because it was the first time I'd physically seen or had a doll!

4. I wasn' t prepared at all :,D
      I didn' t have a wig, the materials do do a faceup nor clothes or shoes.
      But within a few months I ordered most stuff I needed and made it work.

5. I had almost zero knowledge/ preparation when I got my first BJD, I knew you could change their eyes and wigs, that their resin was fragile, and they were held together by string, but I don't think I knew much more beyond that. I found out about the world of BJDs in a mid October and had one in hand by mid November if I remember correctly! I ordered an angel of dream doll because that was my price range as a newbie and I was shocked at other's price tags at the time, she was sold by a dealer who had her in stock so my wait time was only what it took to ship. She had nothing but her body suit that came with her. When I opened the box and took her out I was so disappointed because her knee joint was turned around backwards and I thought something was wrong with her :lol: luckily the dealer was very helpful and explained that I could just pull on the string a little and turn the knee joint back around. She also told me to join DOA so I could learn more.. I didn't even know about this wonderful place when I started out!

6. I was in the hobby for 3 years before I finally bought one. I'm so happy I did.... almost immediately after, I ran into money troubles. I won't be getting another any time soon.

7. I'm still very new but I found some helpful videos which confused me a lot but in the long run I'm greatful for past me's research :cheer

8. I was too prepared I think. I was so ready for her. I learned all I could. I bought her shoes clothes everything. And when I got her I was disappointed in my choices because that was not at all what I wanted for her lol. I did this not once but twice. I learned my lesson. Get the doll first then go shipping. Otherwise I'm likely to style the doll get it and completely change my mind. In other ways it helped because I restrung my first doll like a week after I got her becau Sr she was so floppy and I could only do that because I studied up. But I still think I was too ready at that time. I was jumping the gun a little.

9. I have clothes and stuff ready for two dolls. The ones I could buy but haven't bought yet. I have absolutely nothing ready for the doll i actually bought. Luckily I was able to get him a wig and underpants at the same time I bought him.

10. I did a ton of research before I made my first purchase. The dolls I want are not cheap so I wanted to make an informed decision to ensure I was using my money wisely.

11. I spent a couple of years looking at dolls and watching tons of videos, so I new what I was getting in to! I still was kinda shocked at how much there was to learn with the doll; after I bought it and it came home!

12. I had only admired photos before owning my first doll. I got him second hand from someone who had some other stuff available as well. I ended up buying everything from her. Hair, Eyes, an outfit, shoes.. Sadly it turned into a rough transaction, but it was well worth it, I love my boy.

13. I did a lot of research before buying my first doll, so I knew most things about general care.
      I had also bought her eyes, shoes, and both wigs, and I had sewn a few outfits and made a few props. She was practically complete the day she came in haha.

14. I research the living daylights out of anything I have interest in and have been intrigued by the hobby for years. So I was very much prepared to the point I was paranoid to handle my first doll when he finally arrived.

I'd already gotten eye putty, socks, shoes, a wig, his whole outfit, made a bed with blanket and pillow, had some accessories, had a wooden chest for the foot of his bed... I'd researched him so much that I got the measurements for his bed correct and everything I bought him fit (though I had to mod the socks as I think they'd been thigh highs for a female doll and their initial foot shape had been too small for him).

Mind you, as a doll owner I feel like there is always more I can be learning. But I've relaxed and am able to actually enjoy my doll now that I've let myself learn with him as opposed to feeling like I had to be an expert on everything.

15. I was not prepared at all xD he was an unplanned one :D the 1st doll i was supposed to have was a doll i ordered from alice which would take abt a few mos and the impatient me could not wait at all and then i saw a doll being sold at a local web store and i got him out of the blue. No clothes, no wig, nothing lol but im still glad i got him :)

16. I was... sort of prepared XD
      I'dbeen drooling over BJDs for about six years before getting myself one, so in the meantime I tried to gather as much information as I could about them. I watched plenty of video tutorials about face ups and the tools needed for it, I got myself a few Monster High/Ever After High dolls to practice on while I was waiting for my doll to come and, although I didn't have MSC because it is extremely difficult/expensive to find in my country, I got both Liquitex Matte Spray and Lukas Spray Film (which was suggested as an alternative sealant for bjds on Youtube). I also got plenty of acrylics, brushes (okay, I already had quite a bunch of colors because I used them in some of my past artworks, but some others were bought specifically to paint the doll) and I also collected a whole lot of watercolor pencils, pastels, including what appeared to be an -uber expensive- "flesh tone" PanPastel box. I ordered shoes, clothes and a wig, too. I didnd' really look much into how to restring my doll, because all the reviews I read about Souldoll would pretty much agree on the fact that their dolls are super tightly strung, so I didn't think I'd need to restring my boy at all.

Then... I got my doll.
      And I found out that the wig didn't fit, that my brushes were too huge, that most of the acrylic colors/pastels I had weren't what I needed for the face-up (just to make an example, the "flesh tone" PanPastel turned out to be basically BRIGHT ORANGE). Also, watercolor pencils turned out to be a pain in the butt to use, because no matter what I did, I couldn't manage to get thin lines for the life of me .___. ALSO ALSO, my Liquitex Matte Spray can (which I'd successfully tested on my doll's headcap just the day before) decided to die on me JUST on the day I started to work on my face-up. On top of that, the doll's legs and arm were quite loosely strung, so he was in need of restringing, too.

I eventually ended up ditching almost everything I had and used Lukas Spray film (which I hadn't thoroughly tested as I'd done with Liquitex D: ), a bunch of awfully cheap nail art blushes and some (actually flesh-toned) acrylics I'd casually bought that morning for my face-up. Luckily, things went pretty well, my doll's face didn't melt and his face up didn't turn out half bad at all (I mean, been almost a year and his face is still there as it was on day one... '_'). I'm still too scared to restring him, so he's gonna have to deal with a loose arm and legs for a little longer, but luckily pretty much everything turned out to be fine at last :D

17. I was not really prepared when my first doll arrived. I didn't ordered anything because I thought I had the time ...
      So she stayed nake for some weeks :sweat

18. I was prepared but it all didn't all go quite the way i had planned.. The msd clothing i bought for my JID only fitted slim minifee's( so not that prepared i guess:p) and the wigs and eyes i had ordered took longer to arrive then the doll itself! When she-the doll- arrived my hopes had been so high up that it was quite the let down that i didn't really like her face up which is why i kept her in the box for maybe something over two weeks.. However as soon as i had done my own -first- face up on her and the items -that fitted- had arrived I again fell in love with her! :)

19. My first bjd was just a head and I was prepared in the sense that I done loads of research and I had started my bjd Instagram and DOA account and asked loads of questions but in terms of supplies I was less prepared! Still haven't got a respirator to give him a faceup :S (sorry Pip xD)
      I will however be more prepared for when his body arrives in January sometime as I've ordered some clothes and a proper wig and some eyes for him. I will have a respirator by then too xD

20. I've been watching monster high doll customizing videos on YouTube for at least a year now and then those channels also had some bjds on them, and I grew more curious. I still don't have my first dolls, but I have three on the way already. I hope I'm not jumping in too quickly. I feel like I know enough for a beginner, and I'll continue to research before I do things like a faceup, making clothes and wigs, blushing and etc. I'm really interested to play with the interesting doll joints and posing these dolls can do. :) So excite!