1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Prepared were You When You Got Your First Doll?

Aug 19, 2017

1. I remember when I first got my first bjd.. i really was clueless about everything,, but always enjoyed there photo
      I only had few clothes bought it for him as he was a male minifee bjd.
      After that i start looking and googling and i learned it all

2. Not a lot, I admit. I thought I was prepared but everything ended up surprising me. Mostly costs.

3. I kind of jumped in head first. Weirdly I bought clothes and a wig first. I wanted a Volks SD13, but was leery of taking the plunge on a doll right off the bat. Waited a month after that before I ordered one.

4. I was pretty ready! I'm into other doll hobbies so I kind of knew what to expect. I had eyes, a wig, and clothes ready. I wasn't prepared for just how gorgeous they are in real life, though, or what it would feel like to handle one.

5. I tried to be very prepared. I knew I had some time because of shipping so I got a carrier and handling gloves and whatnot. I did a bit of research too but I think you can never be too prepared!

6. My first doll that arrived was a fullset so I didn't have much to prepare when she arrived. Later I purchased blank dolls, heads, etc, and realized that I preferred purchasing as many things for the doll as possible before it arrived to make sure it wouldn't just sit unfinished. I ended up selling all of my floating heads a couple years ago and it was a relief for me. I just knew that since I had been pushing them off in favor of other dolls I was doubtful they would ever be completed.

7. I'm waiting for my first doll and I'm *trying* to be prepared, but there's so much to learn! I think I'll probably end up over-cautious because I'm petrified of staining and yellowing after everything I've read here.

8. Nothing none. No preparedness, which is probably why I don't have that doll anymore. He was an impulse buy.

9. I was very prepared on knowledge but I wish I had thought to get more accessories and clothes right away! The "play" of changing eyes/hair/clothes is definitely how I love to spend time with my doll but I don't have a ton of options. I've been doing LOTS of sewing lately to remedy this!

10. I knew a bit about the hobby but i made a terrible mistake by ordering my doll without a faceup and arrogantly thinking i could manage it myself. Haha, it was extremely frustrating but after many wipes and reattempts i got something... passable XD.... my next doll i ordered with a factory faceup lol XD

11. I was sorta lucky, before Volks in S. Korea closed I frequented the shop when I was in town. I asked one of the employees several questions, before I finally bought my first, It was like 6 months after I initially went into the shop and bought her. I would just pop in ask some questions, look around, buy some thing small non BJD related and leave. I fell I was prepared for my doll, but whom really is. I returned like almost every 2-3 months or less to get stuff for my dolls, buy another doll, or just to visit with my friends, or to take pictures at the store.

12. My first doll is supposed to be shipped out very soon and I'm extremely ready xD I already got two wigs, two outfits, two pairs of shoes, a set of pastels, msc, acrylic paint, tiny brushes, and I've been making my own resin eyes....I'm so ready for my baby to come

13. Mentally? I was super prepared. Off and on years of research level prepared. Physically? I dashed off a wig and gave my first doll a much-too-large dress to wear the first few days I had her. I had n-o-t-h-i-n-g ready for my doll when she came home. My second doll wasn't much better; she could sort of wear my first doll's stuff, but not really. My third girl, I had her wig and boots and some clothes waiting. I'm a slow learner.

14. I had seen pictures of BJDs on Pinterest and thought the detail and customization was just the coolest thing, but somehow it didn't occur to me as something I would actually get into... until I got my first full-time job and was living on my own and all realized I could do whatever I wanted and abruptly I decided that something I wanted was a BJD. XD And once I'd decided that, I wanted it as soon as possible, so I researched furiously for two months and then bought the doll that fit what I was looking for at the time. By the time she arrived, I had learned quite a bit about care and maintenance, so I was well prepared in that sense, but I had no clothes/accessories because I didn't want to get stuff that wouldn't end up working for her. Luckily DreamingDoll sends a random wig as well as random eyes with their blank dolls, so she did OK with her "defaults" and a towel dress for a long while. She still wears the lovely wig they sent, in fact, though I change her eyes often.

15. In 2006, I was about as prepared as I could be without holding a bjd in person, I guess. I had seen a couple at an anime convention in 2004, and found DoA in 2005. I knew when SDC Kurenai was released that she was the one I wanted, and I visited Volks' website daily and searched the 'net ravenously for pictures of her. When I finally got her though, I was still a bit surprised by certain things. Her weight and the feel and SMELL (omg the smell) of the resin took me by surprise. I also wasn't prepared to have to go the trial-and-error route when buying wigs for her. Who knew wigs would be like women's jeans? You'd think a size 6-7 would be a 6-7. Nope. :lol:

16. I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know where to get clothes or accessories. When I got her in the mail, I thought she was so pretty, but worried that I wouldn't know what to do to make her a complete doll. It was all trial and error.

17. i bought it due to impulse. Learned about her size and bought her clothes.

18. I was maybe...a little over prepared. I found out about BJD from one of the manga magazines (Shoujo beat? I think.) I found DOA right away because of the magazine article, even had to wait to register because I wasn't 13. I spent about a year on DOA saving and researching everything before I even bought him, and then waited around 3-4 months to even receive him. I waited a few months and finally settled on someone to paint him. So by the time I was nearly 15, I had him and everything he needed, except for the faceup. We didn't have instagram or tumblr, so I got almost all the info I needed from DOA at the time, and some from livejournal as well. I probably could've chilled a little with the research.

19. I'd done a LOT of browsing and I think I even joined DoA before my first doll arrived, so I think I was pretty prepared. I had no clothes, though. My brother was getting me an outfit set for Christmas so he was naked for almost two weeks lol

20. I had next to nothing. Not even a camera! and it wasn't easy to get stuff back in 2004... Gradually, I started getting things I wanted for my first doll--it took a while for bonding to happen.