1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Prepared were You When You Got Your First Doll?

Aug 19, 2017

1. I knew about BJDs for all of two months before I bought my first one, a Mirodoll Mika. Let's just say thank god I already knew how to sew :lol:. I had a wig and a pair of shoes for her when she arrived, but I was so scared to restring or suede her that she was floppy as all getout until a week or so ago.

2. I wasn't very prepared honestly. I had a pair of shoes for her and that's it! Though I had ordered a wig... I didn't know how long those can take to make and ship to your house. (Ordered start of December and the wig isn't here yet.)
      Luckily, the awesome girl who I bought my doll's body off secondhand included a pair of eyes, some awesome clothes (some of which she handmade), and some other accessories. She was awesome for helping me out like that and I cannot thank her enough!

3. I had done a lot of research before I purchased my first doll, but when I made the purchase I could only afford to buy the doll and a pair of eyes. So I was prepared with knowledge, but not with supplies hahaha.

4. Not at all. I bought Thranduil on impulse when I barely knew what bjds were. I just saw the head sculpt on Modoll’s shop and wanted it. I found him a body on Dollmix after a bit of measurement panic.

When everything arrived I was... :ablink:

What?! I ordered him with face up, but he was still bald and naked. I made some really bad jeans and crocheted a hat. Did not look regal at all. I looked for wig making help, and made a dodgy wig. Then bought boots and sewed trousers and shirt as best I could not great).

None of it matters: I thought he was great, and still do. I blame him for the whole collection, though!

5. I told my parents something like soon there'll be a baby.

6. not prepared at all and it had me shookt LMAO but i figure out this is the best way to learn things x'D
      i do get some help from friends tho ^ u ^

7. I'd always been curious about bjds, but my grandma had owned porcelain dolls that were so CREEPY! Lol they were ball jointed and for some reason they always freaked me out. As I got older, though, I started looking for different mediums for customizing. I really loved the idea of bjds and the ability to make them into whoever you want! I did a lot of looking into pricing and matinence, but other than that I didn't feel like I needed to read books and books on the topic to get the general gist of how to maintain a doll.
      The one thing I would recommend the most is having a character in mind when looking for a doll! This makes wig selecting, eye hunting, and shell choice so much easier! You'll know exactly what kind of look you're going for and what sculpts meet that criteria. Also price shouldn't be a big factor in character developement. No matter how much you spend on a doll, you can make it look like it's worth thousands even if it was $200. Just my opinion!

8. I was fairly prepared for my first one. I bought the doll, outfit, wig, and shoes all at the same time from the same place.

It was after that I went off the rails as far as preparedness. :lol: Now-a-days, I like to have the doll in hand before I really start getting stuff for it. Measurements are helpful, but it's not the same as being able to hold it and figure out what will work best and what look I want to acheive.

9. Pretty much well prepared I guess... not like a pro already, but at least my friend taught me how to change the eyes, how to restring the dolls, how to change the head etc. I prepared her needs too, like wig, outfit, shoes etc. :XD:

10. I like to think I am prepared. I found qbout BJDs back in november and just ordered my first doll a few days ago. Since I found out about them I have spent at least a few hours a day pouring over the threads here and on youtube. Hopefully by the time she gets here I will at least have some idea what I am doing, though I will still never have have seen one or held one in person by that time.

11. Knowledge wise, pretty prepared. Clothes and accessories wise: totally unprepared.

12. barely prepared at all, i didn't have anything ready for her and didn't until ~1-2 years after i got her. i was 13 and in way over my head.

13. Not at all prepared.
      I had read everything I could find but didn't do any shopping for her. So I didn't have clothes for her nor wig or eyes or anything else. And I ordered her without make-up. First noob's mistake.
      I think I unconsciously did it that way so I could figure if I really liked the sculpt or maybe I wanted to convince myself that I shouldn't start an expensive hobby like this. As I am writing here now, five years later, this last idea didn't work at all xD

14. The only time I'm totally prepared is when I'm buying a fullset!!! :o

First doll-- it was hard to find things back then, so... I had a pair of Dollheart boots and a fur wig...!

But sometimes... even when I buy things ahead of time... they end up being wrong for the doll. So sometimes I wait until after I have them home to figure things out. And... because I now own a gazillion wigs and eyes... I just try those on and figure it out from there.

15. My first dolls I was never prepared. My first boy I literally had no idea what i was doing and there were much less resources as there are now! Jumping back in and waiting on my first doll in nearly ten years, I've gone full force on collecting clothing and shoes for her! I thought it would make the wait easier but now I'm more excited than ever for her to get here!

16. I wasn't prepared at all sorta. I bought a full set thinking that would be enough while I save to buy more stuff later. My doll end up being half naked (I was afraid the black skirt was going to stain) for about a few months before she got a new wig, eyes, and clothes.

I was prepared mentally and with knowledge. Just not with must have things like I should.

17. This. Kaelen - my MNF scar Breakaway - while he was out for face-up painting and his body on order, I got a bunch of wigs for him... and then when he came back and was assembled, he proceeded to reject every single one and I had to spend another several months trying things to find what was going to actually work.

18. I've only had my girl since February and have already made a couple newbie mistakes. Like sliding the S hook without realizing the tension and instant recoil. That was intense. Didn't realize how hard it was to remove the head. And the first time I changed her outfit, I forced it over her head. Glad I didn't ruin her face up.

19. I compared between eating and buying the doll for this month. I calculate about the effect if I bough it as enough money to eat in the whole month, not distrub parents or friends for money and other elements . After I thought , all was well, I took him home.

20. I prepare my money, my money is enough for my doll outfits and accessories.
      and prepare some necessary items such as face guard, bags, magic sponge, etc.