1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Prepared were You When You Got Your First Doll?

Aug 19, 2017

1. I’d happen to chance upon a sculpt online and instantly got him! He was priced rather low with a beautiful realistic faceup. I didn’t really prep much except for try and source out for miniature items in my home to be used for photography ><

2. NOT AT ALL xD I didn't even know the difference between single and double jointed. I was disappointed when she arrived single jointed because I had just jumped at the chance to purchase her... she was the exact doll I'd been looking for.

I don't overly regret it though. This hobby is about a mix of research and impulse!

3. I was not prepared at all! I kinda found them online and fell in love, asked for one for my birthday (a whole year coming, and I had to help pay) and ended up spending SO much money on a hobby that I didn't even keep! I still mess around with photography every now and again and enjoy sifting through the forums and galleries to look at the pretty pictures, but I'm not sure I can justify the costs since it's not one of my main hobbies. I didn't realize doing the faceups, modifications, sewing clothes, etc., were a part of it.

4. i did so much research before i got my girl and i had everything prepared for her and i still felt like i didn't have anything ready at all when she came in i made her wig and did her faceup and was so excited and she still wears that wig to this day (i kinda want to make an alpaca version of it:XD:)

5. I would say I was pretty well prepared. It took me a while to make sense of restringing (she was a DC tiny so the elastic channels were TEENY, and the tutorials I found online were for normal sized dolls and didn't quite work) but I had eyes ready for her, as well as brush cleaner to remove her previous owner's faceup and fabric to start sewing her clothing.

I didn't really understand scale or clothes sizing yet and it took me way too long to figure it out, but I think I was as prepared as I could have hoped to be :huh?:

6. My preparation was mixed. I had admired BJDs from a distance (as in halfway across the world over the Internet distance) for some time before I finally took the plunge and placed an order. My very first doll had a factory faceup and then one day I took it into my head that this was a customizing hobby and dammit, I was going to wipe that factory faceup and do my own! I'm an artist, I can do this!

I ruined the doll's head and had to get another. Sigh, another learning experience.

Fortunately, as can be seen in my avatar, I got better. I'm no pro, but at least she doesn't look like Tammy Faye Baker. (Google her, but brace yourself.)

7. I had done plenty of research while I was slowly saving up, so in that sense I was prepared. But reading about dolls and actually having one in your hands are two different things! I hadn't seen a doll in person before and I wasn't prepared for quite how difficult they can be to pose or even to just get looking nice.

I also hadn't bought anything for it, other than one very cheap wig, because I had been saving all my money for the actual doll. So I really wasn't prepared in that sense either.

Thankfully I was not discouraged by my naked, badly posed first doll xD

8. exactly but still in most cases just take it one project at a time and you'll be fine<3

9. I feel like I was pretty prepared? I had a friend into the hobby who invited me to join a BJD discord that told me most of what I needed to know~ Even so I felt clueless about things like restringing, where to buy certain items and even now feel lost amongst all the different companies and face sculpts! I was still anxiously trying to learn the size lingo when my first doll arrived haha!

10. I got into the hobby very young, so I had to wait half a decade to buy my first doll. By the time I had saved enough money, I was well learned. :XD:

11. I was the same actually! I admired for years before I bought my first this year. But I was not prepared for the choice of dolls but luckily I found Dollshe and I knew thats where I wanted my first doll to be from. I wish I had understood more about wigs and eye sizes.

12. I would say I was pretty prepared.I think I first saw these dolls (DoD molds) when I was googling something and picture poped up. At that time I was young, around 15-years-old, but at that time the price threw my off, so I did not ever think of purchasing one. Later I found out there is a forum and other people collecting these dolls, so I got curious. Of course I learnt so many new things also after getting a doll, but before getting a doll I already had registered to few BJD forums and was trying to get as much information as I could. I was about 18-years-old, so not that young either. I started saving up and got my first doll maybe after one year. My first doll was MSD, but few years later I ended up selling the doll and switching completely to bigger sizes. Recently after getting active again been more into smaller sizes again thou... :XD:

13. I was... somewhat prepared. The first doll I actually received wasn’t the first doll I ordered. He was an in-stock doll from Junkyspot. I ordered his wig from the same place, but his clothes were an outfit set from Volks that took a bit to arrive. Thankfully, he came with eyes, a faceup, and undies to preserve his modesty during his naked period.

In terms of preparedness beyond the realm of appearance, I was a bit short. His SIZE, for one thing, shocked me. (He’s only 45cm; I literally could not sit down when I got my Ringdoll Dracula. I felt like I had to step WAY back to even see all of him!)

I have to say, I was a bit scared of him. Not at all because I found him creepy—he was the cutest doll I’d seen in all my nineteen years of life. More like I was afraid of what I might accidentally do to him, which I think is pretty normal. I wouldn’t let him sit directly on my desk. I had to baby proof it with the fluffy blanket he came wrapped in. When his right eyelash fell out, I almost cried.

So in terms of having all the stuff he needed, eh. He went a long time without shoes, but I always felt that he didn’t particularly need to wear shoes in my bedroom. I was much more ready for my second doll, who came blank but with all the clothes and accessories he needed. And I wasn’t scared of him, lol.

14. Before I got my first doll I had been lurking on the perimeter of the BJD and OOAK community for years, about 8 to be exact! I always wanted to get a BJD but I was so nervous about investing so much money into a hobby I'm not sure I was going to be super dedicated to. While I was humming and hawing in my indecisiveness I watched a lot of videos about BJDs (their care, where to buy clothes, tutorials on how to make your own, etc.) so I think I might have been in a position where I was more knowledgeable than I anticipated when I got my first one.
      However, I was definitely shocked to see how big my first doll was, so I definitely wasn't as prepared as I thought I was!

15. I have a friend who has an extensive doll collection. She had an Iplehouse BID that I loved so I purchased one also. In that way I was prepared because I had held my friend's doll. I had purchased a "coming home" outfit for my doll so she would have something to wear. In that way I was prepared.

I was not prepared, however, for changing her eyes. I had no idea that the top of her head came off. That was actually a little scary. When it first happened, I thought I had broken her.

I have always had dolls in my life and I am very comfortable with them so in that way I was prepared for her arrival.

16. I was unprepared. I have owned various dolls for decades but never BJDs. I stumbled across my first BJD and approached it with a certain amount of hubris thinking it would be similar to owning any other doll. I was wrong. Just learning the nomenclature was a steep learning curve for me. I ordered a bunch of MSD sized clothes for my 1/3rd not knowing the difference between MSD, SD, YoSD, etc. I thought all BJDs were the same. Rude awakening. Even when comparing my SD sized dolls, I learned to pay close attention to the measurements listed by the manufacturer. Sitting my Dollmore Model Dolls next to my Feeple60... oh boy.

17. Dear Art Dolls, I completely understand. I have been a general doll collector for years but I had not gotten any BJDs so I knew nothing about them. I think I was afraid that I wouldn't know how to interact with them. Luckily I have a friend with a huge doll collection, which includes BJDs. She graciously allowed me to "meet" her dolls and I got to know about BJDs. Now I have one BJD and I am saving for another. I love my sweet doll and I cannot imagine not having her in my collection.

18. That's good you had an opportunity to "experience" a BJD before you had your own. I randomly came across @Botflybaby selling my first BJD on Instagram and just HAD to have her. The rest is history. I have a few buddies who collected Smart Dolls but I didn't contact them until after I had already had my own. Thats when I first started noticing there were size differences. At the time, since they were referred to as "SD" size, I thought all BJDs were made by Volks. Seems amusing now how ignorant I was.

19. I had face up supplies and... nothing else. I was super not prepared.

On the other hand, I knew how to sew, and paint, and craft so many of my hobbies fit nicely into the hobby.

20. I was not prepared! He was the first bjd I saw in person. He was soo HUGE! :aeyepop: I just touch him in gloves. I was after a two years of researching, so I knew something about face up, wig making and restringing. And after a few weeks of frights, I try out everything. Except face up. He was blank for about 6 months brefore I paint him. But sadly couldn't bond with him, so he isn't with me anymore.

#160 Triexiz, Apr 4, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 4, 2020