1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Prepared were You When You Got Your First Doll?

Aug 19, 2017

1. Not as prepared as I thought! I had already been dabbling in customization with some OT's I had gotten to dip my toes in the world of bjd and figured out a lot of what to do and not to do, and had already gotten plenty of practice sewing clothes. However my supplies were cheap, I knew nothing of wig making and styling (or even about wig caps to keep slightly too big wigs from sliding), and was in no way prepared for how big he was even as an MSD. I really did a lot of learning after I got my hands on him.

2. I did a decent amount of research before purchasing my first doll. It was kind of agonizing because I would get pretty obsessive with the details and made myself wait quite a bit before buying her lol. I had considered a lot of dolls before making my first purchase. Now a lot of those considerations have changed.

3. I wasn't prepared at all, and I'm still not prepared very well. ^^; He fits in Barbie clothes, so that's all I have for him, and I don't have any eye putty or re-stringing materials or anything, haha. Just got my second doll and I'm just as unprepared for him. :P

4. I'm currently witing on my first doll (Iplehouse SID Mari) but reading all of these experiences has been really awesome!

5. I wasn't prepared at all! In fact, my first doll arrived and I didn't touch her for six months because I was too scared of breaking her. I had no wig, no real clothes (she came with this awfully ugly little angel costume that was in her original fullset) and I had no idea about anything relating to doll maintenance. I've learned a lot since then and consider myself to still be learning!

6. I am researching for my first at the moment. I can't decide between Amelia Thimble or Realpuki but will probably end up owning both at some point. I know that when the time comes that I will be unprepared or at least not be ready to do things to make them into the character/characters I am thinking about doing.

7. I think I may have been more prepared than I even needed to be at that point lol

I had done so much research and looked at so many different websites, reviews, forums, shops, etc. that I really could talk someone's ear off about a doll I didn't even have yet ^^" I had been collecting other dolls for years (Monster High, Ever After High, Barbie, Madame Alexander, other miscellaneous porcelain dolls), so I was familiar with the basics of doll collecting, but resin BJDs were something I hadn't delved into yet, but had wanted to for quite a while. So when I finally was able to start collecting BJDs I was definitely ready to pretty much go all-out with crafting, sewing, displaying, photographing, etc. :sweat

8. I haven't been in the hobby too long, but I think I should have done more research actually. Quarantimeoff has revealed that to me since i'm doing all the research now.
      I first made my own bjd first to see if I liked the hobby enough to dive into buying one which I did enjoy. So I ended up doing a somewhat impulse buy on a doll that caught my eye. I feel like it would have been better to know about/make myself dive into the second hand markets. Honestly I am much more in love with my second buy which was a second hand head. I don't know If i'm going to be much of a collector vs just having a couple dolls that I just adore, but i suppose time will tell.

9. I sprung for an inexpensive doll for my first. Before that I had done a lot of online searching but had never seen a bjd in person. I immediately feel in love though! So I think I was fairly prepared and since then I’ve learned SO much more. I find this hobby to be extraordinarily diverse and so much fun! There is something for everyone and I find myself constantly searching for my next doll.

10. I was absolutely unprepared. I had wanted a bjd since I was a teenager and my parents never gave in. So for my 30th birthday my best friends mom got me my first as a surprise and I had nothing!! I added myself to the addics group on facebook and was adopted by my now friend Kecia. She sent me a outfit. Wig and a set of eyes. While I waited for her care package I began sewing outfits for Ashi and I made her a wig with some scrap faux fur fabric. Now before I get a doll I make sure I have some things on hand. But recently I got my first SD male and I only had lady clothing so he sat in sweatpants until I was able to order him a proper outfit.

11. ^^ I sprung on the opportunity to adopt from a friend after idly eyeing cute sculpts for awhile- I never had the money to spare, frankly- and she came with a wig, eyes, and shoes/socks only! I made her a robe ASAP once she arrived so she wouldn't have to sit around naked, because he sent her with only a day's forewarning that he'd gotten to the post office.

12. I wasn't, and it was amazing!

I'd only ever seen 1 BJD in my life before mine arrived and it was a Dream of Doll U owned by a friend, who'd gotten me into them. I knew about the ability to change eyes, wigs, face-ups, clothes, etc. but nothing prepared me for the actual artistry of just appreciating one even naked. Standing my first doll up out of the box was like casting a spell on myself. He was just so beautiful! It's like I couldn't believe how pretty he was, much less that he was mine.

13. I thought I was prepared because I did a bunch of research and watched a bunch of videos, but I didn't take in to account that clothes sometimes take a bit longer to make and I ordered them too late, so my doll ended up not having any clothes when he arrived.

14. Not prepared much at all really. I am not entirely new to doll collecting, but I am new to BJDs, and the BJD world is very specific and precise - what is and is not a BJD - I still don't think I fully understand. But my first (and only) purchase so far was expensive, so I did a lot of research on that particular brand (Angell Studios) and BJD in general. But, I had no clue about layaways or all of the customization options. Excited to learn though!

15. I got mine 2nd hand, not because of money or test doll reasons, but i wanted to do maintenance, and i cant do maintenance on a new doll with all the bells and whistles.

all the research couldn't prepare me about some things, like taking him fully apart once he got home. :evilplot: or some things that nobody really say but you just goes "this seems weird" and have to look it up or ask questions. this is a very hands on hobby, looking at companies, watching tutorials, or even seeing bjds in the "wild" or showroom, really doesnt prepare you for holding one in your hands and about to take his head off. :whee:

16. Not prepared at all. I wish I would've gotten some wigs, eyes, and maybe one outfit at least. I already have ideas of what I want, but it's the waiting - and also deciding on a faceup artist. *-* But, In the end, if everything goes as planned I'm fine with waiting.

17. Uh, my first doll is coming sometime soon and I just have basic faceup materials and a sewing kit. No clothes, no wig caps, nothing. :sweat

18. My girlfriend was already into the hobby when I moved in with her, so I kind of just jumped into the hobby. She got me my first doll and I was so scared of messing it up. But since then I have learned a lot about the hobby and what I like and want from dolls and have actually changed what I had planned for the doll in the first place and I love her even more. Now our collection has grown so much and it is something we share and plan and learn about together.