1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How quickly did your collection grow in the beginning?

Jul 24, 2018

1. Lol, it didn't. From 2008-2014, I had one doll (not always the same, but always one). That's what I could afford at the time and still have clothes/eyes/etc. I bought my first doll secondhand, and it's been a mix of new/pre-owned since.

It was much more important to me to have one nice, put together doll than several that didn't have anything. I bought my second doll in 2014, and it was another two years before I could afford a third. Now, though, as an adult with a steady income, I've expanded pretty rapidly. In two years, I've bought three full dolls and two floating heads.

2. I am relatively new to the hobby myself, but I my plans are constantly evolving...
      I have one on-topic and one off-topic doll at the moment. The off-topic-doll was my starter and my way to find out if I really enjoy owning dolls and the second one, my Iplehouse I, was a rather impulsive second-hand decision (I wanted to own a legit on-topic-doll and when I saw her, I just fell for her). Right now I am working on the project that brought me into dolls ar first. Two more dolls to come (One on the way and one body I am already owning). I am not planning on purchasing more dolls at the moment, but there are so many wondeful dolls out there... I hope to be strong and stick to the plan for a while xD.

3. Mine has grown a little quicker than expected!

I started out with a SD17 boy who was way too big for my tastes. So I sold him and bought 2 msd girls. I also bought a DC body that I traded for a yosd girl. Then, for my birthday, my family bought me another msd girl! And today I bought a MoC Goodbye bag that will have a msd or yosd doll in there. Oh! And the first doll I ever bought is actually being shipped now! So I have 6 dolls total, 2 still on the way home... and I have been in the hobby 6 months... So I guess that averages to a doll per month! ><

4. I've been in the hobby a little over a year (actually owning a doll). I've known about bjds for a couple years before actually buying one. I would rather have a doll put together with clothes and accessories and wigs, than have a bunch of dolls that are naked/bald/eyeless/etc. I have two full dolls, a head, and a body on the way. Three dolls in one year isn't that many lol but I don't really have a steady job and I never thought I would have more than one doll anyways so for me three is a lot in a year. I spend a lot on clothes and accessories so that's where my doll money goes >_< if I didn't have extensive wardrobes for my dolls like I do I would probably have enough money for another doll

5. I think mine was somewhat slow. I always try to finish one doll before buying the next, and usually have clothes/accessories ready before the doll is home or around the same time. I got three dolls in my first year, five in my second, sold a few in the third and bought a couple more...then I went kind of wild with buying because I had a job that paid really well, but now I've cut back again and am keeping it generally around 16-19 total--if I want more, I sell a few to keep the balance.

6. I've been in the hobby five and a half years now, and have purchased most of my dolls directly from companies or through a dealer. I got four in my first year and four my second year. There were seven in 2015, thanks to several limiteds and one of my favorite companies discontinuing one of their doll lines so I bought two at once. Five off topic dolls were sold to pay for those two. I managed to only buy two a year for the last two years, and have sold one of my earlier ones. So far all my dolls are tinies, meaning the prices per doll are a little lower than for most bigger dolls. Currently I'm waiting for #20 ( not counting the one I sold). My collection grew much faster than I expected. I'm now trying to get the ones I have "finished" so they all have face-ups, the right eyes, and wigs.

7. I’ve been in the hobby eight years and have just under 20 dolls. My averages is about 4 per year, which is a lot to me. I’ve purchased direct from companies, through dealers, and secondhand. I think I’m ready to take a break from buying, and just spend time finishing up my crew. I think I’ve bought way more than I should. :sweat

8. I got my first doll in 2006. It took me six more years before I got my second full doll. Then they started... multiplying... It kinda snowballed after that. I have nine now.

9. i started off with one in october 2016, then 4 by christmas
      the 6 march and more and more and now i have about 20
      so an explosion in the last year. ive also had to sell a few heads and dolls.

10. I'm also considered a newbie in the hobby, I'll complete 1 year in September! I currently own 15 dolls (half of them are not complete yet). My very first doll was a DD 07 head, which I sold after a few months of owning her. I realized that I liked SDs more than DDs ^^ I recently found my 2 grail dolls, after searching for months! And I decided I should take a break from buying new dolls and focus on the ones I have already.

11. I've gone about it pretty slowly. I have known about BJDs since high school then forgot about them for years til 2015. Did a bunch of research and got my first one near the end of that year. Almost halfway into the following year I got my second one, and it's stayed at two since then. They both have wigs, eyes, plenty of clothes and whatnot; one of them still needs shoes but that's about it.

I've only ordered directly from the companies so far, and I've had no issues with any of the past purchases! At this point, whenever I decide to do another purchase it'd be to upgrade the body my MSD sculpt is on. I want to get something that poses a lot better.

12. This is amazing! :dance So many dollies! I’ve gone the kind of opposite direction in that I started with 1/6 scale dolls and now that I have a 1/4 I’m feeling like the smaller dolls just aren’t for me! But I’m going to think long and hard before I let them go!

13. Congratulations on your upcoming one year! :chibi Wow 15 dolls in that time! That’s so awesome I’m glad you were able to find so many that you like! I’ve seen some amazing SD dolls but have never seen one in person and am terrified that I would feel uncomfortable :sweat

14. I've been an admirer for a long time ever since seeing Dollightful on YT and I was super interested in a doll more unique than MH dolls.. So I did research and joined DoA to kind of immerse myself into the hobby and soak up knowledge before making any purchases since this hobby isn't the cheapest lol! Now I have a Dust of Doll Appi Khol home with me, and two on layaway and I'm saving up for my grail doll Viola who has her second ever preorder in LESS THAN A MONTH! I could not be more ecstatic to have her (fingers crossed I don't miss it, I'll be devastated lol!)

I have a rather long list of other dolls I want but I'm trying to keep my priority on Viola, and I can go from there.
      (But as we talked about that 2D doll earlier you know I may cave in for her LOL)

I never thought I'd be one to have such a large collection of dolls (large to me is more than 5 LOL) but here I am... preparing to have probably more than 5 by 2019. Ugh :whee:

#34 maddison3m, Jul 26, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    15. I was hoping to only have ONE, but I bought a second about 2 months after the first! --Then two more the next year. It's crazy, but bjds can be a bit like eating potato chips. I'd try not to let things grow too fast, is my advice!

16. First was through a dealer who had her in stock. I was impatient, to use an understatement—I fell in love with BJDs about 8 years before I could ever buy one! The second two were ordered within six months, one secondhand at a fantastic price with birthday money and the other on layaway with summer job money.

Since then, I’ve been good. The doll on layaway took six months almost exactly to arrive, so I didn’t even consider ordering anymore dolls until she came! A year and a half after starting and I only just put Doll #4 on layaway, again with summer job money. I expect her to take a long time to arrive as well, so my current collection can get all the love until then.

17. After I bought my first doll back in ‘09, the following few years were a boom of buy dolls left and right with little self control. A few years after that, the number of dolls was overwhelming so I purged a good chunk of my collection and then took a few years off the hobby as life kinda got in the way. The past few years have been more controlled and limited, usually one or two dolls a year as certain ones come up. So far this year it’s been one doll and I plan to add a few floating heads to my collection.

I certainly encourage you to pace yourself. Easier on your wallet and doesn’t get overwhelming.

18. I'm quite new to the hobby having only been in it for 3.5 years so honestly my collection grew pretty fast... In my first year I bought 2 SDs, second year 1 SDGr and 4 MSDs (but sold one of them because she didn't fit my collection and tastes) , and this year 1 more SDGr. But I can sense myself slowing down as I understand the constraints of space...... haha...

19. In a span of a year I went from having nothing to having three complete dolls and two floating heads, so my flock grew pretty quickly in the beginning (it's since dropped off to no growth at all since I'm happy with what I've got for the time being). My first and third complete dolls came new from the factory, while my second doll and the two floating heads are secondhand. My collection of accessories also grew very quickly, thanks to both my new job and my mom, who was feeling generous at the time.

20. I admired dolls for about 6 months before getting my first doll. I would say I got one doll a year, some new, some used. My doll family has always been very small. Recently, I rehomed 2 of them. I do have a doll wishlist, and hope one day I will own all of them, but seeing how much gap there is between every new doll, it'll probably take a few years for me:sweat