1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How quickly did your collection grow in the beginning?

Jul 24, 2018

1. haha i am actually in the same boat though i knew about this hobby 3 years ago and created a hypothetical doll 2 years ago (that i think will actually become one but it's on the back burner for what i'm planning to buy). i purchased my first doll secondhand like 3-4 months ago and purchased parts for another in the same month/following months. bought another doll secondhand around the same time and now i have 4 full dolls in my possession, preordered another doll (straight from the company so yay! my first doll that i'll personally own first [nothing wrong with secondhand :) ]) and planning at some point to buy one more doll (and that hypothetical doll)
      i feel like i'm done buying dolls (since i don't want to own too many, trying to keep it less than 10) but like i just went straight down the hole once i got into this :P now other than those 2 dolls i plan on buying, just concentrating on buying clothes and accessories, maybe some eyes and wigs for my dolls that don't have a defined look yet.
      but yeah it happened so fast...so very fast...guess i might have a slightly obsession-type of personality where when an interest catches my eye, it's all i focus on for a while :P cooled down a bit...but there are just so many things i could get *.* just money :P

2. When I first started, my resin family grew pretty fast. But the only reason I was able to get into the hobby at all was because of the money my father had left me when he passed. Things have slowed down a lot since then. I actually ended up "quitting" the hobby when that money was gone because looking at all the beautiful dolls I couldn't buy anymore made me sad and frustrated. Fortunately, I found my way back and, even though I can't buy dolls very often, I've learned how to save up and be patient if I really want a certain doll.

3. Oh man my first doll could go two ways really, I'm brand new to this hobby like only a couple months in and my first is I guess technically is an order from black box the sleeping Anubis doll, it's still being made only a month into the waiting process but the first one here with knee is a soom fosy my sister sold me

I'm living at home still so I've had cash to burn and it shows in the fact that I have 4 dolls already Anubis, fosy, a big dipper and I've also ordered mochi from black box on layaway (i'm pulling back now though since I've got moving out plans) but I've got a crazy start to this!

4. Quickly at first and exponentially slower for each doll I loved. I started with a second hand doll I loved than got a mix of new, old and re-released dolls.
      I think it’s more cost efficient in the long run to buy the doll(s) we absolutely love first. I know if I had done that, my collection would be different, smaller, probably a bit better. Im not unhappy with my collex but hindsight shows me more about my true preferences.

5. Pretty slowly at first honestly, though I first got into the hobby when I was 13-14 ish. I saved up for my first doll with babysitting money, then immediately got to work collecting pocked change for my second. My second doll actually turned out to be a floating head that I won in a contest and I'm genuinely concerned at this point that I'll probably never find a body for him due to his age. My third was purchased in 2011(I think?) on layaway with Soom's FC event. After that I didn't get any new dolls until 2013. 3 at once lol. Dang sales. Since then it's been about one new doll ever 2 years or so, though I've purchased three this year!

6. I started with 2 secondhand heads (ordered the bodies from the company) within days of each other. Then got Soomed the a month after I had them... and a month later was Soomed again... I ended up with 8 dolls ordered in the first year of doll ownership (although 2 of them didn't arrive for several months into my second year of ownership).

7. It took about a year for my collection to go from 1 to 3.

8. 6 dolls over a year and a half.

9. At the beginning I was a student so I didn't have much money for dolls. I used to own around for of them for the four first years. After that I had a job and I began to buy many BJDs. Now after 11 years in the hobby I own 50 bjds.

10. I started with two new from the company, had only those two for ten years, and then bought three more in past 6 months. The newest three were all secondhand. I'd like one more, and then I think I'll be done expanding dolls for another ten years or so. Of course, I'll still need clothes, and maybe some more furniture, and.....

11. I got one and then he needed a boyfriend, of course. It took me a long time to find a suitable sculpt. Then when I did, it was when Ringdoll was going through a rough period and cut off communication with people and weren't updating us on our orders and such. It was 9 months before I got him. I really almost quit right there because that scared me so bad. I thought I'd been scammed. But, inevitably, another captured my heart... lol Then I got 25+ more in like a 3-year period.

12. Well, having just gotten my first doll about two months ago, I just brought home number three. The first and third were second hand, the second was from DDE (the in-stock availability tempted me and I knew I wanted an anthro doll). I echo some of the others in saying that having the money to buy dolls is dangerous, lol.

I am probably going to pump the breaks now for a while because buying three dolls so fast did make a dent on my bank account. I actually have a "fourth" that came bundled with the third (she'd just a floating head) that I should really sell because I don't care for sleeping plates, but letting go of literally anything is hard for me. :sigh

13. I'd say it grew fairly fast - I felt the need to give my first doll some companions, and I kept coming across secondhand dolls that either fit existing characters in my head or else inspired characters. (And then one was a dragon, and I just couldn't resist that.) I bought five secondhand dolls (four MSDs, one tiny dragon) within a few months and bought my first (and so far only) new doll, a tiny, when I got a similar one for a friend for Christmas since they were both in stock at DDE. Finances and other interests pulled me away from dolls for a bit, but I'm currently reexamining my dolls and their characters and considering making some tweaks. I'm not planning on buying more dolls, but we all know how that goes. :sweat