1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Avoid Growing Bored with Your Doll

Jun 4, 2020

1. Hey.

Recently, I purchased a second hand 2DDoll body for Deklan (Migidoll Vamp. Yujin). While waiting for his body to arrive, I’ve spent a hefty chunk of coinage on (most of) his basic outfit, set of eyes, and a wig.

Deklan is certainly coming together and while I’m excited, I can’t seem to combat my anxieties.

If all things go according to plan, then that means that Deklan’s base is pretty much complete save for some modifications and extra outfits.

A majority of the hobby is waiting. So when the waiting is done and the thing you’ve been waiting for is here, what’s left to do? I’m worried I’ll lose interest in the hobby after he’s finished like I did with my first doll.

I’d hate for him to simply be another item on my bookshelf or to end up selling him. So my question is: is there anyway to maintain interest in the hobby and to not grow bored with your dolls?

I really hope I can get some feed back on this. Thanks! :)

2. I don't get bored with mine so much as I sit there and ask myself, What's the point? IMO your problem is easier to solve, or at least has more options!
      Get into photography of your dolls.
      Build dioramas or furniture or both for them
      Make new outfits for them. Or use them to hone new hobby skills like polymer clay sculpting, 3D printing, jewelry making, sewing....
      Look up photo and accessory challenges on Instagram or in the community here.
      Likewise, use them to grow your dolly network. Since I lost both of my in-person doll communities, I've gotten depressed with regards to my collection. Going to meets is a lot of fun!

Ultimately the hobby is going to be what you make of it, and if you're growing bored with them as quickly as you make it sound, it might not be the hobby for you :O Or you need different characters to make dolls of. I have two characters that I'm in no hurry to make dolls of because they'll only need 1-2 outfits at most and they'll be done. Bo~ring. Better off making those two out of Barbies or something simpler. ^^

3. I actually don't have much of a problem with my dolls sitting on shelves as I already do this with a lot of my collector hobbies (figures, fashion dolls, artwork, etc). I'm satisfied as long as my dolls look pretty!

But if you start to get worried about falling out of love with them because you aren't playing with them much, I find that dedicating yourself to taking photos of your doll helps keep you interested in them and continues to motivate you to get new stuff for your doll, craft new things, or find new places to take photos. For example, I'm still practicing faceups, and one of my dolls is already on his fourth new faceup- every time I give him a new face, I take a bunch of pictures. I also like to sew doll clothes, so I do entire photoshoots whenever I've finished a new piece for one of my dolls. Some people also like to do photostories! A healthy cycle of setting and completing new goals for your doll can help maintain your relationship with them, and the possibilities can be endless!

4. I use my dolls characters for role-playing. There's always more to discover about them or make up about them. Maybe they get a new scar or cut their hair short at some point? Something new for the doll. Photostories or writing your dolls own stories can also help but I struggle with writing on my own so I prefer to have someone else to help me along.

5. I'm going to take a step back from the main question first, and say: different people approach the hobby in different ways, and it depends on what you get out of it (or what you want to get out of it). Some people may find that they like getting the doll together, buying the parts, putting together the character, and once that is done, they're happy and they don't mind selling the doll and starting a new one. So that's also a very valid way to enjoy dolls if that's what rocks your boat. ^-^

Ok, back to your original question, I'm seconding what some earlier replies have said. Photographing them, doing craft related things (doing faceups, mods, sewing clothes, making accessories or props or dioramas, making wigs, eyes), making stories for them (role play, writing, photostories) are some ways of playing with dolls to keep the hobby fun. I also enjoy just having my doll sit with me while I watch shows on my laptop, or hugging them while listening to music, or hold their hands and shake it for no reason (I really try to just play with them the way I would as a child with dolls haha).

Having doll friends who enjoy similar things so I can share what I'm doing at the moment is another important part of what makes the hobby fun for me. I have a chat with dolly friends who like doing faceups, sewing and making things and sometimes we show each other random photos of our dolls or random brain farts like putting an Iple head on a smaller body for giggles, or just gushing over new doll or outfit releases even if we don't intend to buy.

I hope that gives you some ideas!

6. I felt that growing bored was more bound to happen with me when I had only one to two dolls, all different sizes. I got bored of the waiting and searching for clothes and other things that fit, and not being able to do much with the dolls. When the dolls were finished, I felt I didn't like them anymore. Now I have had over 5 dolls for some time (currently 7), and I think it is easier to feel happy with them when I always have something ongoing. I have gotten quite a collection of clothes and have a box of spare eyes, so I don't really need to wait much in the hobby anymore, I can just get my new dolls dressed right away and maybe do some additional purchases later on. Waiting doesn't feel that difficult at all when I already have many dolls to keep me busy. Sometimes I even forget what I am waiting for.

7. I can understand how you feel. I was looking forward to waiting for my new doll. When I first got him, I was very excited. But as time goes by, the freshness of the doll will pass. At this time, I will take pictures of him in different clothes, then share them on social platforms and discuss with doll lovers. Or I will practice the doll's makeup so that I can draw the makeup I like according to what I have in mind. What I like most is to set up different scenes with dolls according to my own storyline, which sometimes even becomes the inspiration for my writing, which is a very interesting thing. These things let me not get tired of the doll for the time being, and I hope I can help you, too.

8. I have so many plans for oufits for mine (and little time or enegry for sewing) - and their backstory is always ongoing as it's prompted by their interaction ith each other and their friends among other people's dolls.

Teddy

9. Growing bored with things is bound to happen sometimes. You can keep buying new dolls, but I fear you will just waste money because the boredom will keep happening over and over again. It's really hard to give advice about something that happens psychologically inside of us.

10. I'm in the same boat as ZennoSaji, where I don't tend to get bored but it's more of a "burnout" of sorts. They just end up sitting and I do nothing with them for long stretches. I wouldn't call it boredom. More a lack of motivation. But, at the same time, I do the same as zzsleeps and just let them sit on a shelf that I can see. They are a collector's item more than they are a conventional "toy". Maybe, change their clothes once in a while. Alter their pose a little or their seating arrangement.

However, with the onset of the quarantine and lockdown with the ongoing pandemic, I started to consider a major overhaul of my collection. I put my first FID on layaway [concluding tomorrow - I can't wait to see and hold him for myself once he comes in], and I took to looking at the other Original Character dolls I have and want. Would they be better in FID proportions, to allow for more space and easier/convenient props? I do love SD and 70cm dolls, it's what I got started with, but I don't handle them. I was going to say 'all that often' but, as of right now, it's 'at all'. So, I'm going to wait for my FID guy to come in and see how he fits in the environment of my doll shelf and with me. The set of characters I want in doll form has also changed. I write stories, as I think a lot of us in this hobby do, and I used to flit from one tale to another. Right now, I'm trying to focus on one set of characters and one story-world [if there's potential for sequels, for example] at a time until I am absolutely done with it. The characters I have on the doll shelf are from a shelved story. I intend to go back to them, eventually, but I now want the characters I'm working with currently. As I work on their stories, I can purchase the characters I want in doll form and have the set complete by the time I've done the story.

Overall, I don't think I've ever been bored with them. There's a lot of opportunities and possibilities with these dolls that, I think, it gets a little overwhelming. So, I step back every now and then. I have spurts of motivation and then nothing. And I don't think the waiting around for things to come in helps either. Therefore, I'm going to look at making a lot more of their clothes from now on. Fabric is a lot easier to come by in my country than doll clothes, which get shipped in a lot like dolls. It's just shoes that I might have to buy, as well as eyes. I might turn my hand to wigs, I was meaning to a while back and never did, to keep from hanging around waiting on the postal service for those as well.

11. I've had this issue too many times to count. I create a whole look in my head and I end up creating a photo collage of ideas on what I want a certain doll to become. The excitement is truly in the anticipation and creation of your doll. And, well, as you said: the waiting. The only three resin ball-jointed dolls I've ever had, it's played out the same; even for my grail. >__<; I get everything done and then they just sit around for months on end.. and then become something to sell at a later date, to someone who you believe could put them to better use. It's saddening, really. I wish I could get one or two of them back.. but alas, I can't.

However, now that I've gotten back into the hobby after a couple years of taking a break, I've found a new way to keep my interest. While I currently don't have any resin dolls at the moment, only vinyl (sort of like training wheels to see how dedicated I am), I've been trying to take photos, and also, as Cap'n recommended, I use them for writing short stories. I enjoy writing so it's a way to combine two hobbies into one! Not only that, but joining a community, like Den of Angels, and keeping everyone updated about your doll family helps. It can keep you accountable and invested. Whatever way you chose, best of luck!

12. I second what was said, namely that some people approach hobbies differently.

For some the main interest is in preparing and creating. They want to have the window shopping, putting together plans, the waiting, the anticipation of putting together the final pieces or crafting something.
      I for example realized that with many dolls I don't care about owning them, but I really like painting them and taking pictures once. Which, considering how expensive these dolls are or how long they take to actually arrive at your door, is really not something you can do or should do often.
      I was able to scratch that itch for a long time with commissions. Gave me the chance to see a lot of faces and paint them, without having to buy them myself.

To get back to the original topic: it's okay to realize you're "one of those" collectors. For some owning the finished doll is just not interesting to have.
      This is especially true if you don't do anything with it afterwards. If you don't do that yet, maybe you can start with photography? Buy more, different outfits so you can change things up (starting with season appropriate attire is often a good plan).
      Get them a partner you can take pictures with together.

Or just accept you just really like finishing dolls but not owning them. That's okay too. Some people are "revolving doors" in their hobby, and that's fine.

13. I know this feeling you have. I often change my hobbies and afterwards I'm sad that I lost interest - because when I was still into this hobby, it was fun, right? However, I'm now at the point where I say "So be it". When I concentrate too much on keeping a hobby, I forget the most important thing: That a hobby is supposed to be fun. So I try to not worry about it much and have fun. In my opinion, I even stick more to my hobbies like that. If I didn't feel like playing with my doll for a month, then that would be ok. I won't force myself just because I spent money on my doll. My doll stands for joy, not for forcing yourself.

Sometimes meeting with others can help you staying interested in a hobby. Sometimes that can put pressure on you though and you loose interest instead. Find out what's the right thing for you, no-one else can tell you that.

Often I don't play with my doll itself but craft items for it. You can always find things to do for your doll, even if your interests change. For example once you liked sewing and sewed clothes for your doll, but now you prefer taking photos. Count your doll in! Instead of sewing, take photos for her. Or you are suddenly really into crochet. Make her clothes and little figurines.
      I even like it to just change my doll's outfit almost daily (though it's mostly about scarfs and other accessories due to the lack of clothes). It's not much, but makes me happy.
      That's a nice thing - you are free to do whatever you want and your possibilities are endless :) Don't force yourself. Keep calm. Even if you just adore looking at your doll that's totally fine.

14. So many good pieces of feedback in this thread!

Building on this sentiment, everyone has different approaches to the hobby. I left the hobby for almost a decade, in which time my collection of nearly 30 dolls sat around in display cases as decoration and were mostly ignored. I didn't have a space concern or a financial concern to act as a forcing function to sell them, so I was fine just moving on. Once I wanted to redecorate that became a different story :lol: But now that I am rehoming most of my collection, my "forever" dolls are getting attention again. Upgrades to eyes, wigs, faceups and popping out of the case once a week for some quick photos. It's been a fun way to have more of a 'light' touch with the hobby rather than being all-consumed with it like I was back in 2010. Plus, I enjoy seeing what other people do with their dolls :) I hang out in discussion threads for the companies I like best and am always thrilled to look through unboxings and such. I've decided acquiring new dolls isn't for me anymore, and that has given me the freedom to just enjoy what I have.

I think you have to get comfortable with the "worst case scenario" you have in you head about getting bored in the hobby. If you enjoy it for the time you spent on it, then it wasn't a wasted effort. Everything takes time or money or both, so it may as well be BJD. :thumbup

15. Well, my first piece of advice would be to take a few days off the hobby and put away the doll that you're bored with. I've made the experience that not seeing a doll all the time will enhance my adoration and once I get the doll out of the closet again, I can't stop looking at her/him again (although this excludes my favorite doll, who has been on display on my desk for the last 16 months and I never got bored looking at her:lol:).

And my second piece of advice would be to ask yourself what got you into this hobby in the first place? Do you just like collecting dolls and putting them on display or do you maybe enjoy dressing them up in different outfits or even want to create clothes/eyes/wigs for them?
      Every one of us enjoys their dolls in a different way so maybe you should try out doing something with a doll that you've never tried before?

16. I love all the advice above so far and the support everyone is giving to this topic, as I think it is something we’ve all experienced at one time or another.

On top of all of these other amazing suggestions, I think sometimes taking the time to look at the dolls of others can help to reinvigorate and inspire you. If I’m ever in a rut where I’m not feeling too motivated to do something with my own dolls, I look at what other people are doing so that I can maybe think of fresh ideas or new outfit plans or a fun activity. I took one of my dolls out the other day to the craft store because I saw another person had done the same, and it was a great experience after being cooped up inside for months!

I think it’s really a personal journey for each and every person to find what brings them back to their love in the hobby, but I’m sure that you’ll be able to make it through! We’re all totally here for you! :D

17. I enjoy my dolls in many ways. I like dressing them, taking pictures, sewing for them, the usual stuff but I also like them each to have in depth characters so I spend a lot of time writing and roleplaying them. Those things give me endless ideas and development and are about the only thing in this hobby that’s totally free!

But sometimes, the day does come that I get tired of a Doll/character and then nothing helps. When I reach that point, it’s time for me to sell the doll and start a new one! I’ve been in the hobby for 12 years but usually only keep a doll for 1-3 years. I like to mix things up to keep it interesting.