1. Please check the announcement in the DOA News section. Broken links to TinyPic were noticed over the weekend, and today we confirmed they've been shutting down over the last month. Since a lot of people appear to have pictures there, be aware that Monday, 9/16/19 appears to be the last day to download your photos.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Get Doll Money: The Master List of Ideas!

Mar 21, 2009

1. Ugh. I'm so sorry.

2. Selling old fandom merch to other fans is a good way to make some easy money!
      A lot of anime figures are only in production for a little while so some can be a lot harder to come by.
      I suggest using ebay to look at their prices and decided from there how much you want to sell, I always post high and add a "or best offer" because usually I'll end up with the amount I really wanted. You could also try selling for lower than the cheapest one for sale but that depends on much you really want/need it gone.

3. Really saving money is very hard! I try to create clothes for dolls and sell it. But my main work takes a lot of time, being a favorite and is low paid, but despite that I have to sew in my spare time...
      I want to save money for new body for my last head Domuya Fin

4. One of my goals for this summer is to avoid buying anything for dolls, and use my time and energy to try and improve my skills in making clothes and props... I can save money I would have spent while testing the waters for a possible income source sometime in the future. :)

5. Thanks for sharing!I tried to make up the doll myself:love

6. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (I didn't see it on the first two pages, kinda skimmed a little thereafter), but if you have a decent phone I'd definitely recommend utilizing apps such as Couponer, Ibotta, etc. I believe you have to be 18 - 21+ for some of them, as they might include rebates pertaining to alcohol, but these apps can be a great way to rustle up a side-savings. Just make sure you abide by the terms of service - most require that you be the owner of the receipt you're scanning in for cashback, etc. It won't work if you share a receipt with your family or friends.

7. To piggyback on this, I highly recommend Digit or other auto savings apps! You can set them to save small amounts of money (around $2) at regular intervals, and you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up.

8. Seriously seconding this. Do not put yourself into financial risk if you don't absolutely have to.

The main collection of ideas on the first page is pretty thorough in suggestions but I feel like it's really good to reiterate how good it is to create a budget, not only for your doll but for your savings and personal accounts in general. By using apps (or even a notebook) to collect the honest, unvarnished truth about how you spend your money over a month's period you'll easily start seeing areas where you can trim back and add funds into your BJD fund.

Sometimes it's little things such as realizing you spend a lot on eating out, or impulse shopping, money that you'd rather spend on your doll(s). Has your phone plan finished it's initial contract but you're still paying a phone bill as if you're still paying off your phone? Time to renegotiate to a cheaper plan.

Once you have a baseline understanding of where your money goes it's a million times easier to figure out where you get extra cash. It's also doubly good just for figuring out your personal savings and expenditures in general.

9. This thread is good for financial advice. Yes it is wise to know where your money goes. Every month when my salary is credited to my account I set aside some money for the bills and a little extra for savings. I restrict myself an amount for my expenses like meals, entertainments, shopping, transport, cigarettes and miscellaneous. So yes I have two account for such purpose. As soon as I realize the "restricted amount" is almost gone by first half of the month. The phenomenon is I don't remember splurging on luxury goods.

#109 Scarlet C, Aug 8, 2019
      Last edited: Sep 7, 2019