1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Get Doll Money: The Master List of Ideas!

Mar 21, 2009

1. Wow that is such an amazing idea. Thank you for sharing. How do you deal with the logistics though? Wouldn't shipping be expensive since some raw materials may be bulky.

2. I'm new to bjds, but not new to collecting. Saving money can be really hard when you have multiple hobbies! I loved reading through this entire thread because there were a few things I hadn't thought of trying before, so thank you to anyone who has ever contributed here.

An alternative to ebay if you live in the US though, sell on Mercari! It feels a lot simpler than starting on eBay. The money you make can stay on your account until you cash out (usually no fee as long as you transfer more than $10) so sometimes I open the app and suddenly remember "oh yeah! I made almost $30 last week when I sold xyz!"

3. This thread has some super good advice of things you can do to safe in general. Me and my family practice quite a few of those things. We are a family of 4 and money goes out the window therefore quite fast if we don’t watch it. Thank you for putting all this together! :thumbup

4. I recommend software testing - manual is super easy. Also programming, its not hard to learn just you need to put time into it. Then open company, work as a contractor and move to cheaper country

5. the easiest way is selling one of your old dolls and buy another one lol

6. Housekeeping is my strategy. I have some friends with mobility issues who can’t do it themselves, but also really want to live in their own house for as long as they can. They offered to hire me. It’s basic house cleaning- bathrooms, kitchen, vacuuming, sweeping floors, etc- and they pay by the hour. I can pick when I work, as long as it works with their schedule, and it’s easy to do on the side, in addition to school and another job. As long as you’re willing to adapt to what they need- my boss has some preferences on cleaning products and cannot risk any falling hazards- it’s still hard work but it’s not difficult to manage. Plus I feel like I’m actually useful for once. We both benefit. And I get doll money, although the majority of mine is going into my savings for now.

7. I came from art and design background and teaching people art skills help. It is quite stable and can be done online.
      Can also intro to students the world of bjd.

8. @eminaanime
      do you have recommendations for art tutoring? I wish I can teach art online too

9. I apply to schools to teach freelance. After contract is over students who are interested will learn with me. It is a process, but pays off.

10. Basically how I got to where I am with my collection was this. I've started selling a previous doll and adding a little bit of money when I buy a new one. That way you don't have to shell out 1000€ at a time and can still enjoy other cheaper dolls and building your way up. Also never used/had to use layaway!

11. Part of earning money is knowing how to budget, make sure you are taking the time to plan out your savings as well as your spendings.

12. Fair warning for Mercari, I've seen bad reviews on the Android app store for it saying that sometimes you can lose your money or access to it and the customer service is nonexistent. I was really hoping it would be convenient and easy but I'm not willing to risk it unfortunately. Chances are most people have a good experience and it's just the people with bad ones who post reviews, but if anyone knows of a good alternative, please let me know! I have some stuff I could sell on Ebay or similar, the main issue is organizing it and figuring out shipping, but ease of use is always important so I'd be happy to hear of some good sites or methods to sell things quickly and easily (in my case varying old electronics, fandom merch, and the like, but I'm happy to hear about other options).

13. Interesting! I've been using Mercari for a couple years now, and I've made over 100 sales and tons of doll money just by selling things around the house I don't need anymore, or from when I was younger. I personally love using Mercari!

14. I've had good experiences with it too. They take a big chunk out of your sale but not really much more than eBay. I've been able to move stuff there that just sat elsewhere.

15. I haven't had any bad experiences with it either! I didn't need customer service, but I did get a refund and everything was fine.

16. It's good to read about good experiences w/ Mercari- I'm thinking of trying it out after all. However...

One thing I was wondering, is a lot of the things I'd consider selling are old unofficial fandom merch- i.e. stuff I've bought at artist alleys at cons, or Etsy stores, over the past ~5-10 years. I'm wondering about the legalities of selling art items such as these especially as for many I do not know the original artist as I have either lost relevant business cards or long forgotten the booth etc. at whatever convention they were from. Is there any particular etiquette when it comes to selling stuff like this? I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me; after all, fandom interests can change and one can collect a lot of misc. stuff before moving on. Would it be feasible to make doll funds by emptying an old ita bag of its goodies for example, or is selling fanmade stuff second hand a no go? Particularly when brand names tend to be expected on selling platforms it seems for search purposes if nothing else. Not to mention fair use and its limits re: fanart. I haven't been able to find a lot about this on Google since most results just turn up info about selling things you've made yourself.

17. This is all so helpful. Thank you so much

18. That is pure genius! I'm going to start that with my fivers.

19. Is there any recommendations for someone who can’t work due to disability?

20. A garage sale might be worthwhile!