1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop yourself from spending all of your money...

Feb 2, 2017

1. I have a dolly fund, money from the fund goes into buying dolls and doll stuffs. Sometimes I sell off some of my dolls' stuff to raise funds for the dolly fund. I'm currently on "Fundraising for Zak" mode LOL. Some people also sell older dolls to get money to buy newer dolls, so it's kind of a self-funding cycle without having to spend more money.

I have a priority wishlist of dolls I want to get and characters I want to make into dolls so I try to stick as much as I can to it. It helps to have a list to compare to because I don't have unlimited funds so when I see a new doll I feel like getting, I can always ask myself, do I want this new doll more or the one in my wishlist if I can only get one with X amount of dolly fund I have? Sometimes, it helps me to curb the temptation to click on the buy button, but sometimes, I still end up getting side-tracked anyway LOL.

I like the idea about getting a new doll only when the current one is finished but sometimes it's not feasible if the doll you want is a LE or is on discount only for a limited time. If it isn't limited, I usually wait for a bit to see if I still like the doll after a period of time. I find that waiting it out is very helpful for me to know which are the ones that are momentary infatuations and which are the ones that I truly need to bring home. Unfortunately, that's hard to do with LEs and I usually get side-tracked with LEs and events LOL so now I have a backlog of dolly projects but hey, at least it means I always have something to do with my dolls so I'm never bored aaaaand it might take my attention off newer dolls...

...which mean checking up less (or not at all) on dolly news which is probably the best way to stop the temptations LOL. Well, at least rationally speaking my brain knows that but what can I do, my fingers are itchy and RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Sometimes I think the best way is to never got into the hobby at all, because these dolls multiply like jack rabbits LOL. Be careful that they might just form an army to take over your house and bank account lmao. But if it's your first doll and have never seen a BJD in person before, I'd really suggest you to at least wait for the first one to arrive before deciding to get a second (or third or fourth or fifth). Just my two cents though, that is if I even have one left. :lol:

2. When I'm in absolutely 'no-buy' mode, I will just cut myself off from all things doll-related. No facebook, no instagram, no forums. I don't think it works that well though, I find that I sometimes end up buying other things ( more games or makeup )...

>__> I need to go on a no-buy month though, just bought a doll I've been admiring for awhile and now my hobby funds are realllllly low.

I think putting aside physical money for dolly things will be more effective, as then I can see exactly how much I am allowed to spend! I'm hoping it will also encourage me to sell more of the unused/not as loved items from my collection. :sweat

3. Recently, I've used money made on selling unwanted items on buying in stuff for my incoming little guy. Rather than using money in my bank account, I just used money brought into my PayPal. I did have to dip into my bank balance to buy the doll in question, but it was only about 59% of the doll's cost in the end. The rest came from different sales I'd made beforehand.

I might start a small doll fund, for wigs and a few items of clothing, but I'm going to try making clothes and I also don't plan on going crazy with their wardrobes this time round. Alex's original wardrobe must've consisted of 20+ items he rarely wore; pants, tops, shoes, wigs, etc. They need a couple of items, max, that can be paired in different combos to make numerous different outfits.

As for resisting dolls, I go through stages of "I want, like really want" to "I could maybe do without that one for at least a while" and, if I still want it a while later, I'll maybe look at how I can afford it. Savings plan, layaway, sell items off. I have a head coming that will need a body, so I'll need to look at funding that (once I've picked one that's a good enough resin match).

4. I really like the idea of a separate "mad money" account. It sounds much less stressful than having to do the math every time.

5. Oh, this is a hard one! I've implemented the 'dolly restriction plan' this year and it's been rough. In order to keep myself on track, I don't spend time in the marketplace (unless it's looking at wtb threads to see if I have anything to sell), and I have been buying clothing and other items to finish off my dolls. Only one doll left to finish and then the real struggle begins. I admit buying clothing, etc has helped curb the desire for a new doll, but even that has to end. I'm saving up for a doll convention in August, so that is a great motivator!

6. I agree with what some of the others have said, its always good to finish a doll before moving onto the next one! I usually order the clothing and the doll at the same sort of time, so generally everything comes more or less together, and then all I need to wait on is any potential face ups.... Buuut my three newest girls... HAVE NOTHING :'( They have hair and eyes and... shoes.... but that's it! I HATE IT!!! They have a large order of clothes and stuff for them that's been ordered on AC, so waiting for that.... but generally, the feeling of them being incomplete is the worst, so get your first doll finished, or as good as, before you get another!

7. I like to do what @ivorysand does, and sell items on the secondhand market before purchasing a new doll.

I also have 10 doll limit, which was put in place because not only do I have very little space in my home to store dolls, but I also have very little money. :sweat Recently, I wanted to buy a new doll but had already reached my limit, so I sold one of my dolls in order to make room for another.

8. Easy. I have no money! :D

But seriously, I've kind of had to sit and do some serious budgeting after a couple times I had no money to get some unexpected things around the house. I put money I know I can't touch into a savings account, and recently I got a medium sized piggy bank, super-glued the stopper, and now THAT trapped money is essentially doll money. If I want to use that, I'd need to take a hammer to it and.... well, I'm lazy.

9. Don't have money.

Like, none at all. Either buy dolls, or starve.

10. My first doll hasn't even arrived yet and I keep trying to talk myself out of buying a new one in the mean time! The one I'm having trouble resisting is the DC Medusa in green. I'm obsessed with her sculpt and keep going back to look at her pictures. The only thing keeping me in check is rent and the security deposit on the apartment I'm scheduled to move in to :sweat

11. My first little guy isn't here yet (he will be in a few days though!) but I have been hardcore window-shopping for more clothes for him ever since I ordered him on the 9th. I need to wait though... I just remind myself that if it's something that is meant to be, it will still be there for me when I am able to comfortably purchase it without going too low on funds since my paychecks are small. (That's how I am with a lot of my purchases even outside of this hobby though. :lol:)

12. i consider myself quite new in the hobby, but i've always did it this way:
      since i earn money with my art in my free time, this is the money
      which i allow myself to spend for other hobbies like dolls.
      this money is on my paypal only and doesnt influence my bank account.
      also i only work on one doll at the same time. when i'm finished
      working on her, and i'm happy with the result, i can start thinking about a new project^^
      so you dont spent too much in a moment and you can also focus on each doll

13. I'm having the exact same problem. ^^' while waiting for my first doll to arrive, I'm already thinking about getting a doll head :doh the only thing that is stopping me from doing it is the guilt I would feel for now spoiling my first one before getting a second one.

14. I have a finish a doll first policy and I also only transfer money to my debit card for specific purchases.

15. Bills come first. If you can' afford it then it will have to wait. No matter how much it pains me to say... I have made impulse buys before but if it sells out before you can get it then it wasn't meant to be.

16. You must be my twin! When I get in the mood to shop for dolls, I really shop for dolls.

They are like potato chips, I bet you can't have just one!

#56 RabbidBunnies, Nov 11, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    17. This wasn’t a problem for me for a long time as I only had the one doll and didn’t know what I wanted to do with her. However, I now have two boys on the way and have figured out my girl’s style so I now have a doll fund. Every paycheck a small percentage of what I get goes to the doll fund. If I see a clothing item or doll I want, I will only get it if I have enough solely in that account.

18. Can’t give any solutions to you as...I also can’t stop my hand to buy dolls....really can’t stop. I am serious.

19. To keep myself from going too crazy buying doll stuff, I sit down and ask myself whether the item I want to buy for my doll is something I really would use. If i really think about it and realize that no I wouldn't make use of 4 fluffy skirts anytime soon it helps stop me from going too crazy with spending cash.

But in case of an emergency (aka OHMIGODINEEDTHATDRESSNOW!!) I try to keep some spare funds aside after I've finished paying for all my home essentials.

20. I've been in the habit of saving up doll money for so long, I ask myself if I really want to buy a thing, or be frugal and add to the doll cash pile. This in turn made me realize I enjoy the feeling of wanting, but not necessarily buying stuff. Hence I content myself with browsing more than purchases, and premeditate a lot before hitting the "checkout" button.

I also recognize this approach doesn't always work for others.