1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How-tos, tutorials and the business end

Oct 12, 2008

1. Sharing knowledge is extremely important for a thriving hobby community; without the wonderful tutorials available on DoA and on other websites, the BJD world wouldn't be as interesting, innovative and beautiful as it is right now.

I love tutorials and find myself reading up on various dolly projects on a regular basis (face-ups, blushing, wigs, sewing, etc.). However, even though I do give many of tutorials I read a try, I by no means become an expert at the technique being shared!

For instance, a while back I decided that I want to try sewing basics for my dolls - T-shirts, socks, simple skirts and pants. I bought the supplies and started out with some basic tutorials offered on DoA. Result? I gained so much more appreciation for the wonderfully talented tailors out there! By following the tutorials, I realized that sewing is not for me - it doesn't excite me, motivate me or otherwise interest me. Maybe, eventually, I'll revisit this, but for now, I am happy to commission experts for my dolly clothes needs.

Blushing tutorials, on the other hand, made me enjoy my dolls that much more. I find that I like the process of blushing my dolls and have already found my own little tricks for getting the results I like. If it weren't for tutorials, it would have taken me that much longer to get to this point. As for the business-end of it, I never sent out my dolls to get full body blushing, so by learning to do it myself, no business was lost - I was never a blushing customer and never intended to be.

Right now, I am trying my hand at face-ups, but, I know that I will never be good enough to be happy with what I create, so I still send out heads to artists and will continue to do so. Trying out face-ups is simply a fun project and, since I already have most of the supplies from blushing, doesn't require any further investment. I'm very thankful for the wonderful face-up tutorials out there - they are very fun to watch!

Tutorials, on their own, will never create an artist - dedication, practice, passion and talent will.

2. Like I mentioned in my post before, I've seen people who do really nice face ups posting tutorials, and I'm not going to copy the face up in the video. I will say that I did see a bunch of video tutorials for face ups on YouTube by someone on DoA, and I still remember what she said to do because it was a very helpful tip.

I can remember one bit of information, and it was about the direction of your eyebrows. It is very important to get your eyebrows in the proper direction, and I learned why from her video. Granted, it's probably not going to lose her much money (if she did commissions) if I know know how to do an eyebrow, but it will save my dolls from looking too goofy.

3. While I enjoy the business end, I don't make it my sole source of income, it's more of a hobby then anything....or in my more crazier moods, an art-form.
      In fact I enjoy making tutorials with my findings. It's not only teaching that I enjoy but the answering questions that arise......and for the most part seeing photos of the work that other people had done using my tutorial is very rewarding.

This, ^
      Tutorials are only a stepping stone...

4. I think it's a fine thing to do! Showing your process might give some people the information they need to do the work you'd do themselves, but it also shows other people the kind of work you put into the work you do, which can attract customers who know they can't get the results they want even with a tutorial.

=^__^=
      Anneko

5. Anneko, I agree with you :)

6. I would really like tutorials, but I probably will pay to get certain things done since I'm not willing to put in the time or take the risk.