How well did you doll fit the initial blueprint/sketch of your character?

Feb 23, 2019

1. I did a search for similar threads and didn't find the same one, hope this discussion is ok!

My question is, for those of you who created an original character and had a specific appearance cemented before buying a doll, how well did/does your doll fit that blueprint/plan/sketch?

For me, the sculpt I chose fits the character 98%. After spending some time experimenting with wigs (I had to buy two similar ones to play around with) I am mostly satisfied. Although i'd like the hair strands to lie a bit flatter, it doesn't bother me much. And now, the doll itself fits the image in my mind better than the sketch. The main thing that I have to do next is create the uniform that is the character's signature look, but i've got to find someone able to sew it for me. Before ordering the doll I had some doubts whether i'd be able to get the look right, but I am glad I took a little risk.

Please share your stories of getting dolls to fit predetermined images!

2. My doll hasn't shipped yet, let alone needing to make his 100% custom clothes/blue dye. DX
      But I did hold a pic of him I painted up next to the doll I chose before I bought him, and I'd say he's REALLY CLOSE. I might chin/nose mod him a little to be "sharper?" Longer maybe? IDK but overall even just the way it is, it's almost perfect. D:
      [​IMG]

3. @Pigxels the doll really matches your painting! At least, if you've got the foundations right (features, expression) then you're on your way there. Good luck with the dye :)

4. Frankly, when Lavinia arrived I was planning to use her doll for another character, but when she and what I intended to be her temporary wig showed up, I realized that she was Lavinia, a character from my novel THE HIEROPHANT'S DAUGHTER coming out this May. You have to go with the flow when a dollie tells you who they are! Another doll will have to be found for Sophia, which is ironic, because Lavinia is a Resinsoul Sophia.

Similarly, the doll I am waiting on, Miracle Doll Melanie, so resembles my villain character, Ophidia, that I was actually shocked to see her. I felt completely compelled to get the full set...here by April, maybe?

I have a couple of other characters in mind for dolls, and I have found their dolls now, but of course I must wait until I can buy them! It is better to spend some time with a dollie before introducing a new one, anyway. That's what I tell myself until I'm rich, anyway!

5. I have three pretty much complete dolls shelling preexisting OCs of mine, and I'm happy with all of them and feel like they all look very closely like my mental images of the characters. For the most part, the only things they're missing are a few accessories here and there.

Aramy (Mystic Kids QingChen) I feel is the most "incomplete" - the sculpt is absolutely perfect and he has a gorgeous faceup, but I've hated his body from day one. It's too muscular for him and poses badly. I'm hoping to replace it at some point in the future, though that's very much a long-term plan. I also had to replace its hands with Soom female long nail hands, because the original hands were these awkward yaoi clunkers. I'm also on the hunt for some cuff bracelets for him, as those are a significant part of his look, but they've been surprisingly hard to find in the colors and style I want (silver with red gems).

Kestrel (Angell-Studio Ty) I'm pretty much satisfied with. I was worried that his skin tone might be too light, but thankfully AS tan isn't as pale as I feared. The first pair of boots I bought for him were too big, but his new ones just arrived and fit him like a dream, so now he's 100% complete. However, I would like to get a more casual alternate outfit for him as well.

Heron (Asleep Eidolon Fay on a Camellia Dynasty body) I'm the happiest with because he's the most complete and looks the closest to my mental image. I did struggle with shelling him - I originally meant for him to be an Sio2 Little Prince, but that didn't work out. Thankfully Fay is perfect for him, and his outfit is complete including all the jewelry and accessories. I might get him more in the future, but for now I don't feel the need to work on him anymore. :3nodding:

6. Mine tend to be about 50/50---either it works exactly as planned, or they end up being very different.

7. Sigrid was the only fully planned out character I had. I used the Skyrim avatar maker at the beginning of the game to get a rough idea of how she’d look, since I was too short on time to draw it out. She turned out 100% great! However I have a doll right now I’m trying to develop based on a drawing and an old character of mine. We will see how she goes, but I’m pretty confident she will work out great.

8. I only had plans for two of my dolls my girl Chomby is really defrent from what I had planned she was suppose to have red hair and green eyes she now has black hair and white and red eyes she was suppose to have a lot of energy but she much more of a clam presents I love her so much though!:XD:

9. My Holland (Switch Waseon) went both ways. My initial mental image of the character was the bare bones of a sketch. The sculpt I chose felt closest to the vague impression I had of him, in terms of the shape of the eyes and lips, and the potential expressions he could have (from gathering various face-up references), and how the head sculpt could express his gentle and sometimes reclusive character. However, the sculpt also filled in the missing details. He arrived via the marketplace with a face-up which really shaped the character in more meaningful ways than I had originally envisaged. I had no clue what eye colours and hairstyle would suit him, having left it deliberately open since his style would change canonically depending on the project he was working on, but a serendipitous choice of wig (the white he currently has on) ended up perfect for him. I'm still hunting for the right shade of grey/blue eyes for him, but right now I'm very satisfied with the way he has turned out so far. In retrospect I'm glad I did not pre-determine his character and appearance too much, and instead had the sculpt and its progress shape him organically. It avoided much potential disappointment.

10. I never have a 100% solid vision of my OCs, they're usually kinda anime style in my head and even then it's vague, so I don't tend to get a true idea until a doll seems to fit. I guess my best example of this is my Homme Ducan, his OC is quite jovial and laid back, which I used to envision with bigger eyes etc, but when I saw that sculpt I just felt that was right. I now try and give the character more of the dolls look when I draw him, I guess in a way the dolls have helped the characters complete themselves!

11. Well, I'll talk about my most important OCs. First was Andromeda (Dreaming Doll Judy), and I didn't have the character when I bought the doll, so it was slowly developing around the doll, and I guess it doesn't counts. My second, Daniel (Iplehouse Dexter) is just a bit more serious than the character, but facial features are almost perfect for him. The one that fits the less is Christina (Withdoll Margery), because the character is chubby. But I've never seen a chubby SD, so I focused on other features: big eyes, cute lips. Sometimes it frustrates me some, but hey, it happens.