1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel if someone gave you BJD clothes as a gift?

Dec 24, 2009

1. Alright, this is probably really stupid... but I want to know how you people feel about this...
      Yesterday I asked my dad if my mom was getting me BJD clothes for Christmas (My dad will tell me...) because when I asked my mom she just laughed. My dad said, "Don't mark my words on this... but I think I did see her order some clothes for your dolls online."

Ok, here's where the questions comes in.

How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.)

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that?

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?

I have no clue what to do if my mom did order clothes! She doesn't know sizes, the style I want, the clothes I had already planned out, OR the cool websites.

Sorry once again if this is stupid.

2. i would be surprised and happy! i would not return the item because it was something they picked for my dolls. even if it was the wrong size i could find some use for it. Not many people like my dolls, but my family is accepting of them and i really would be genuinely happy that they'd care enough to take the time and effort to find an item for them :3

3. I had a friend buy me some. I just told him the size and the sex of the dolls I have, and he got a nice outfit for them! I was happy!

4. I'd be overjoyed! wrong size or not they thought of my love of this hobby and made me happy so no I wouldn't get rid of it. I've been searching for some in-scale dolly clothes anyway and hinting to my friends so we'll see :lol: Actually I have been gifted..my sister bought me this adorable pillow with Spooky's name on it....shame though as I'm selling spooky's head and getting a new character :sweat

5. Um, grateful? Even if it didn't fit or wasn't to my taste, it would be a very thoughtful gift.

6. I only wished I still had a mother alive to order doll clothes. Treasure the clothing and even if it isn't right appreciate the thought. If you have a great rapport with your mother and the clothing is not the right size then find out if she can exchange it. If it's just that you don't like it I would just let it go.

7. I agree with the above posters. You should appreciate that they care about your hobby enough to get you doll stuff. Worse comes to worse you could always plan a doll around the outfit ;)

8. i would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy. but no one i know would think about my boy for christman TT^TT
      i would appreciate the thought even if it would not be the right size or style :) i'll probable eventually have a doll to wear it at the end

9. Yes, I know that I should be happy... I am, don't get me wrong. But, it's just I would've enjoyed it alot more if I had chosen it. I don't want an outfit that would give the signals of the complete OPPOSITE of the character I'm trying to build. I probably sound so selfish, but I just would've liked if my opinion was asked.
      My mom has the worst habit of looking for clothes that make myself look like a child. I don't want my dolls to be like that. My mom won't even let me wear a lip ring in front of her, how would she even think of getting me clothes that I had hoped for. o_o

10. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      Hm. It would be pretty dissapointing if the clothes were in the wrong size or style. I'm sure that the giver would feel badly as well. But if they looked online at all, they would see the different sizes and probably ask. Sure, kinda ruins the surprise effect, but its better than getting a gift you can't use.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?
      Yeah, I'd prefer that. Because, say there's this sweater I've wanted for Jacey for some time, but the giver didnt know that. They could get something I dont really want as much as that sweater or something. When it comes to this stuff on non-BJDers buying for people into BJDs, I think it's better to be discussed.

Hm. If I could, I'd probably try to. What would I do with something that doesnt fit? Might as well make the best of it.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      I'd totally be thankfull and express that to them. They meant well, and I think that means more than whatever the gift itself is.

One could always do this: Hint to the person that you susspect may give you a BJD item that you'd rather talk about it in that situation, because there's a lot of stuff out there. And then maybe you can show them what you like, and let them pick from those things. That way, you still have the element of surprise about what exactly you got, but it's also something you'll like and wanted.

11. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      Well like most, I would be most grateful that they thought of me. If it's the wrong size I may do one of two things. If it's close enough to the size, I'll adjust it, if not, I'll keep it for future dolls. But most know that I'm particular and will probably just give me money to get what I want ^^; Although my mother once suggested actual baby clothes...that looks to baby-like for any of my dolls and I just have to draw the line there lol ^^;

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.)
      Well, it would be nice, but in general they'll at least first want to know what size my dolls are before picking clothing in the first place so it doesn't matter is the style is off, both my dolls are gracious enough to appreciate them regardless XD

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that? Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      Oh goodness no O.o; I'd at least hold onto it till I can find an appropriate use, but if for some reason I can't, I'd probably gift it to someone who can use it or maybe make an interesting craft item out of it that I can use. But in general, I'd try to make use of it myself somehow as best I can as I hate to "waste" things.

12. I've had a friend who's husband wanted to get her doll stuff but had no idea about them so he kept asking me if the stuff he found was the right size. Also don't worry too much. My mum always surprises me with how much she remembers about my dolls and things. Your mom has been paying enough attention to know a place to buy clothes. No matter what be grateful though because she is trying at least. If it is wrong you can always trade it later for something better suited or maybe it will work for yours and you just don't know yet.

13. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I would suck it up if I didn't like the clothes and thank them graciously because they showed an interest in something most people think is weird and creepy and tried to make me happy with things they thought were nice.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?
      Yes, but I would be still be grateful and touched that they cared enough to make an effort.

No because that would be [IMHO] a really bratty thing to do. However, I would try wrong sized items on my doll in front of them and say "oh, this is too big/small, do you think they'll let us exchange it for something that fits?".

See above comment.

14. My mom would probably steal one of my dolls for measurements to make sure she was getting the right size, and she'd probably get something completley awesome for them, so i'd be all for it =] Only she's not too net savvy, so she'd fail at finding stuff. If she knew how, i'd be absolutly GIDDY for her to do that for me =D

Even if it wasn't something i was particularly fond of, it'd still be really awesome that my mom, or anyone else for that matter, thought to do that for me =D Means they accept and support my insane hobby ^_^

15. To be honest, I'd be greatful that they were that thoughtful, but if it's not the right size and it's not a size you intend to get, well honestly I'd exchange or resell them because I really don't have a use for them. It doesn't mean I wasn't GREATFUL for the gift. It simply means that I don't have a use for what they got me.

If it's only the wrong style but the right size, then you can just work with that, really. Save it for future dolls or modify the clothing so it fits into the style you want it. Be creative with it.

16. I'd keep them whatever the size or style they bought.

It would be such a sweet thing for them to do!

I have about every size of dolls coming my way, so I dont think there would be a size problem xD

It would be surprising for them to do so though....

17. Well, I plan on getting a doll in every size(SD, MSD Tiny) so even if my mom bought me something that would better suit a tiny it doesn't matter cause I'm getting a tiny next anyway so I'd just accept the gift and tell her once I got the new doll I'd put the clothes on him : D I think it's nice when family gets involved in your hobby and wants to help you out-my mom even keeps an eye out for little things that could be doll sized and says "hey, at ___ I saw _____. It might work for your dolls" ^^ I just accept gifts and I like the surprise so it'd be really nice to get something from the fam. : )

18. I would be suprised and happy but just to be on the safe side i would rather choose them myself just to make sure they fit.

19. I'd be thrilled and very surprised! If it didn't fit or didn't suit any of my dolls (or any planned dolls), I'd exchange, swap or sell it. I know my family would rather me have something I'll use than something sitting around unused taking up space because I feel too guilty to exchange it - that's a waste of their time and money.

20. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I'd be over the moon! It would save me sewing for my dolls all the time (they are slave drivers, I tell you!). If it's the wrong size it would give me an excuse (or at least more incentive) to save up and buy a doll to fit into the clothes hehe

Not really, I like a surprise sometimes, and people who know me tend to know my taste. And if the clothing was not to my taste I'd just go DIY on it and force it to submit to my or my doll's taste :D

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that? Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      No. Refer to above answers.