1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I made a database of all my dolls, past and present! (You can too!)

Oct 16, 2020

1. @Zegal Definitely take a look! This is user-friendly and allows you to organize things any way you want to draw correlations and relationships between it all. You can also print things off, if you want to be able to continue your binders!

2. I decided to try it, as my multiple tables in Microsoft Word were getting a little confusing. It is very user friendly! I find Ecxel a pain to use. Though maybe putting in the prices of my current dolls was a mistake...the total is a little scary*_*.

3. I did this too! I agree it's a bit scary, but keeps you honest right? And you get interesting insights like.. I have only one male doll and he has cost me the most.

I'm hoping that having the digital copies of my invoices/receipts/coas make it easier to sell my dolls in the future (if I ever do--still undecided since I tend to only buy dolls I don't intend to sell). I showed this to a few of my work friends who are also analysts, and they were like, are you going to include your fabric purchases? Then my head started to spin at the idea of doing inventory management of all my available fabrics. So I promptly decided that was out of scope.

Did anyone start with a template? I think I looked at the art collection one to start, and it was only then that I really made the connection that I should view my dolls as art pieces and myself as a "museum curator". It was a different mindset that I hadn't stepped into yet!

4. @Leo Pheonix I'm so glad you tried it and found it easy to use! :D (And I had the same experience when I started adding in prices--at least, the ones I could remember or find data on!)

@VeraLyne Yes, that is what I love about this program is the relationships and insights you can start to see that you never thought of before. They just come out naturally!

And haha, even if the fabric one seems daunting now, you might change your mind later, especially if you want to make your currently inventory available to people if you sew for others, you could make a public view that shows all available fabrics only for them to choose from! You could also track what you made from each fabric, etc.

I am not sure I started with a template. I might have, but I don't at all remember what it was. Strangely, it was probably something like the Recipe Organizer one because I first made one into a recipe book, then I think I duplicated that base to make one to track my nail polish collection and my doll collection (I also have one waiting for my gemstone collection but I haven't found the brain space to finish that one yet). Though, it doesn't really matter if I start with a template because by the time I'm done, the final result in no way resembles the original template! XD

And I love how it brought you into a different mindset with the art collection template--I hadn't seen that one when I was looking!

5. This is such a great idea! I just made a listing similar for my bjds to keep a track on everything!

6. This is impressive- one day I hope to be at this level, haha.
      Awh. At the very least, it's nice that by making this list, you were able to reminisce on them!

7. Great idea. I love a good list. I keep an excel file of my dolls.

8. I tried AirTable and I love it. I’m using it to organize my wishlist, and prioritize purchases. My wishlist is much bigger than my doll collection. Soon I will add my current dolls too. It’s so easy to use and I love that you can include photos.

9. @A_Nonyme.Art Yes, it is super handy to have a list like this! Even if some of this info is in my doll profiles here on DOA, I still found I needed to be able to save a little more than that for accurate record keeping. :)

@Tulkem If you are just starting you may want to begin a list like this (whether it's in AirTable or some other way--there are lots of ideas in here about how other people have done this)! It's very difficult to remember details later that you think you will never forget!

@Bianca I also love a good list! Hahaha. Excel is another good way to do this--I think others who have responded here say they use Excel, as well!

@Riverboat Those are excellent uses for Airtable! :D And yes I love how many options Airtable allows you for saving allll the information you could ever want! I am hoping to go back and add photos of receipts and COAs for mine (though some of mine are old enough that they have no COA or I don't think I could ever find the receipts).

10. Thank you for the inspiration! I have needed something like this for a long time! A CoA photo sounds like a good idea.
      What interesting things do you record if you want to share it with us? It worked for me to share my characters in the to-do list table, so it's nice to tick off the finished modifications, blushes, faceups etc. :)

11. If you go to the link I provided, it will show you generally what I track. Other things I track but for which I have the fields hidden due to sensitive information are things like who I bought it from, who bought it from me if I sold it, how much was paid, etc.

12. I'm tracking similar information, it's useful. I plan to use Airtable in the future as a space for backing up Wordpress BJD posts.

13. Really? That's good to know since I have a WordPress blog!

14. I read it somewhere. I have to try it. So far, I'm just starting with my WP and Airtable too.

15. I've actually started using Notion for my doll database. I just started it so I haven't included dolls I had and sold, mostly because I can't really remember some of them, but I've got all their technical data, character profiles, and wish list. I'm thinking about setting up some type of gallery for the clothing and accessories I have too.

16. I was JUST poking around general discussion to see how other folk tracked dolls that they bought and sold, or how they set up wish lists, and lo - I found this thread, and the clouds parted. Angels sang hymns of joy.

Currently making an Airtable database of BJDs I have, I've sold, and my wishlist. I realized that I'll see a doll, get that initial "WANT!!!" urge, and then, after saving up/layaway, buying, and receiving - do not want. Or at least, do not want as much as I thought. So now, I'm creating a wish list. Even though I run the risk of missing out - better to miss out than drop $1K on a doll I don't like as much as I thought.

THANK YOU!!!!

17. @MaleficentMrsofEvil You are welcome!! I'm so glad it was helpful for you.

Your post made me think of what I called my "thinking cart" when I go to Target. I always want like a million things while I am there, so I put it all in my cart, then think about it while I walk around and I am always able to pare things down to what I really need.

18. I had to make a database for insurance purposes and now that I have it it would be way easier to keep up with everything I have bought. Including wigs, eyes etc. All from date of purchase to price etc. It can be really helpful at some point. Great job with yours!!!

19. Yes!! This would be so handy for insurance purposes, that is a great point!

20. Also for tax purposes..