1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal room temperature for dolls?

Nov 11, 2007

1. From what I've seen in the boiling threads, if she just boils it and lets it cool without trying to reshape it, it should actually just return to its original shape on its own. Good luck to her. :)

2. I am really curious about this boiling thing...I know a girl who does it and it works great and I want to try it to get the mysterious dents out of one of my boy's heads. So weird...heat can be the enemy or friend.

3. Resurrecting this thread because my question is somewhat related...

So it's okay to sit next to a fireplace with dolls, but what about positioning or sitting a doll near candles? Not touching of course, but I wonder whether anyone's done photoshoots with dolls near candles, and what the experience was, whether the doll was hurt (even if a little bit), etc...

Thanks!

4. My mother always seems to have candles going and since I often have dolls near me I am fairly sure they have sat by the candles. I think it is likely okay though I might not do it too often because of possible smoke damage? But I am sure a quick shoot would be okay. Just do not let them catch fire!

5. .

#25 mystic-angel, Jun 7, 2010
      Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    6. I've been worried about the same thing, actually. It gets very hot and humid here and the house is not air-conditioned.

I keep my BJDs in a cabinet with a shade and recently I've kept a fan in the room they are in. So far it's helped and their resin is still pretty cool to the touch... hopefully it will be enough to keep them safe during the summer months.

7. I don't think you need to leave her face protector on when she's laying down in a safe place. They're more for shipping. I'm not sure if water would condense under there, but it sounds like it could. When I have to cover my girls' faces in my house, I use a clean white cotton cloth.
      Resin itself doesn't react to moisture, but the elastic stringing can get funky/mildewy, so you should check it periodically throughout the summer. Also, heat can speed up yellowing, though it has to be pretty extreme heat (like leaving your doll in a hot car).

8. Well, I live in Florida and haven't had a problem yet. I just try to keep the dolls indoors most of the time. I wouldn't put plastic over their faces because of the possibility of condensation; just use a clean white cotton cloth.

I don't think the elastic will have much of a problem with the humidity unless it's so humid you get drops of water on your hands when you stick them out the window. :lol: I live near a swamp area, too, and my dolls seem to be ok. I haven't had to change their elastic from mildewing or anything. I would just keep them out of the humidity as much as possible (like by using a cloth or fan gently blowing on them if you don't have AC).

Again, from my experiences, the face-ups should be ok so long as you don't let moisture gather on them and start wiping or something. It doesn't get hot enough here for the heat to melt the face-ups, so I can't help you there. But if you live in a place like that, chances are you have air conditioning because humans would not want to be in that heat, either. ;)

9. .

#29 mystic-angel, Jun 7, 2010
    10. I second the suggestion to leave the face protector off to avoid condensation, but I live in Colorado - similar climate to Utah - and have not had a problem with any damage from heat or humidity. I think there is possible elastic damage if her elastics get too wet from the cooler and then get stretched out, but that would only happen if she was right below it and it leaked I think, or there was a sudden temp change where she is.

11. Maybe for the moisture you could keep her in a box with, like, some rice or something? XD; (You know, like how you put rice in the salt shaker to keep the rice from getting moist. Although I don't know if it works for bigger areas..) OR, OOH! Some of those packets that come with certain things that say "do not eat". And just keep her low down in a closet or something..

12. .

#32 mystic-angel, Jun 8, 2010
    13. Hello. We recently moved in a new flat. A few days ago we checked the humidity here and it's over 70% in all rooms (we have no idea why, opening the windows etc. doesn't help). Anyway, I know that humidity isn't good for dolls, so now I'm very worried about them. Could anyone tell me if those 70% humidity are a risk for my dolls and how much % is risky?

14. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how humidity would really damage them -- I suppose it could have some effect on the elastic tension, and of course it causes difficulties with the actual casting process, however, I don't think it's something you'd need to worry about. I'd be much more concerned about heat.

15. well in quite a few threads i read that humidity is bad for the resin, msc and face-up. some doll companies dont produce dolls in humid phases.

16. Humidity can cause problems when casting a doll, that's why companies won't produce them during times of bad weather, and you don't want to go spraying MSC or other sealants in high humidity. Moisture can make the elastic rot, but other than that... there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

17. alright, thank you :)

18. What they're talking about is if you go into a shower or sauna, and let it condense. That will ruin a face up or the elastic. :3

Or if you take it in and out of high air conditioning and wet heat. Back and forth, back and forth, it's going to ruin your doll because of the moisture causing it to expand and warp.

19. Hi Mello, I am no expert at casting :) I just know a bit from art school and what I pick up here and there. I think that humidity becomes an issue with casting the resin but once the dolls are made the humidity should not destroy the set resin. Resin casting is a process very sensitive to climate and temperature. Humidity messes with the clarity and color of the resin and produces unpredictable results. I think that resin can even crack during the process if the temperature is wrong!

As far as I know, once the doll is cast it can be exposed to humidity without becoming damaged. However, I seem to recall someone saying that you should not soak your dolls in warm water because it could accelerate yellowing etc...

As for Face-Ups I believe that humidity messes with the MSC when you spray it and build up your layers. Once the Face-Up is there and sprayed it should not melt off or be effected by the humidity. When I paint my dolls I avoid very humid hot days because the MSC seems to not stick and dry evenly. I only tried once on such a day so again, I am not really the expert. I am just too hot to feel inspired to paint in 30c so I avoid it anyway :)

20. i see, ok thanks :)

thanks for the explanation :) just wanted to make sure.