1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal room temperature for dolls?

Nov 11, 2007

1. I know high humidity can create weird white marks on the doll when you spray on MSC - it doesn't harm the doll or anything, the humidity just does that.

2. but only when you spray msc? not afterwards?

3. Worry when they run with condensation?

Honestly, beyond the fact that the elastic MAY perish quicker in damp places, there's very little effect humidity can have on a doll. It only effects MSC when it's being sprayed, not once it's on and dry and water doesn't bother resin in the slightest. All in, just don't sit them against a damp wall for a long time and maybe ensure they're checked internally for mould every now and then in the warmer months. Other than that, you're golden, wouldn't worry on it.

4. Yeah, I think the bigger worry in this case would be clothes, elastic, wigs (specifically, wig caps and maybe the whole wig if it's mohair), doll pillows/boxes and other fabric-y organic things. The doll itself should be just fine.

Besides, "humidity" is actually dependent on the temperature. 70% humidity at 30 degrees is not 70% at 21, and definitely not 70% at 5 degrees, since the rate of evaporation/condensation and the amount of water vapour in the air is different depending on the temperature.

5. its 70% humidity at about 22 degrees, normal room temperature.

6. I know all of you up in the North East are going to laugh at this, but should we be worried about how cold effects our dolls? I'm in Texas, without snow, but it's 19 degrees F outside. And no surprise, we are also having rolling blackouts. Now, I do love my dolls, but when it comes to heat, my pets (and myself) come first.

Does cold weather have any effects on resin? Say, if you lost heating for a few days could it crack the resin? Or simply bring up any cracks that may already be in the resin that you don't know about? :?

7. im in the same situation as you! stupid blackouts in texas -.- now im no expert on the cold but from what ive heard as long as the change is gradual it wont affect the resin. but like.. if you take your doll to being nice and toasty warm to freezing it could stress the resin and cause it to crack. I always heard for users to try to keep their dolls warm/bundled when they take them to meets where they have to go in the snow just to protect the resin from potentially cracking at the temperature change, though ive never seen a case where it happened >.>

8. *laughs*
      Marylander here, and unless you leave your doll out to brace the snow/cold, everything should be fine!

But blackouts do suck. ; 3;

9. I believe MSC can cloud a bit if applied in the cold -- or exposed to it for an extended period -- so if you're doing any faceups or mods, that's something to consider. As to the rest, I'm really not sure.

(I'm in Delaware -- we got our snowpocalypse last week. ;) Just an ice storm last night where I am... but we did get the blackout.)

10. Cold doesn't/shouldn't affect dolls...
      Only extreme heat is a problem.

This question has been asked before, though I know sometimes extreme cold does affect MSC...

But yeah, it is not actually extreme compared to other places though it is freaking cold. I'm in Texas too it's unbelievable right now XD

11. Canadian here.... (just like got a dump of 2 feet of snow, pretty normal for this time of year)

Uhm, I haven't seen resin cracking, and I have brought out my kids in the snow before. >_> ( - 30ish weather.)
      I just dress them to keep the snow off so that when I do bring them inside, they don't get wet.

As for temperature change (outdoor to indoors.) It doesn't seem to bother them, they warm to room temperature slower then expected. so there's no problems.

12. I just keep my dolls away from extreme temperatures. If it's too cold or hot for me, it probably is for my dolls too.

13. I was wondering about temperature and resin. does the cold or hot temps affect the resin of a doll ?.. Wondering everyone's thoughts on storage. display and if temp plays a part on how you display your dolls.. Also what would be acceptable temps in case

: )

14. Despite living in Arizona, I haven't noticed a huge difference in the way temperatures affect dolls, However I have noticed that drier weather helps prevent stains in the resin. I have yet to have the dye from even the cheapest black fabrics leave a mark on my dolls.

15. That is a plus..Living in Arizona has it's perks I see.

16. I've wondered about that myself. I haven't found much proving whether hot or cold temperatures are bad for dolls, but I can't imagine extreme cold or heat is good for them.

17. I was curious as well about the extremes that dolls might be able to handle. I'm not worried about heat so much as I am cold (not that I ever plan to take my boy out at -40 F, but still). I'd really like to know what might be considered a "safe range" of temperatures that the dolls could be exposed to without causing damage.

18. Arizona.... perks? *laughs*
      Anyway, to extend that answer;
      While the resin seems to react favorably to the dry, I think the heat reacts VERY unfavorably to the Vinyl Dollfie Dreams. While I know they're famous for staining, I think staining in the realm of 15 seconds is unreasonable. I really need to get some Renuzit.

EvilChibiNic, while I don't have a specific proven answer for you, I would think that the resin would have no real problem at extremely cold tempuratures. It could become comparatively brittle when at it's coldest, but as long as it was allowed to warm up at a relatively natural pace, there should be no long term effects. Kinda like ceramics or glass.

19. I'm not sure about resin, but it definitely has an effect on elastic. When hot, the elastic gets more stretchy and so dolls can become floppier. And when cold, it shrinks, so the dolls get tighter. It's not a crazy amount, as if you had restringed them, but it's still quite interesting to notice ^^
      I have a feeling that heat contributes to resin yellowing, though I'm not sure about that. Because if yellowing is caused by oxidization, then when it gets hot, wouldn't the oxygen particles move more rapidly and cause yellowing faster? I don't know, but it would be interesting to do some kind of experiment- leaving a bit of resin in the airing cupboard and another in the fridge, for example.

20. Ayliachan, awesome, thanks for the tip ^^ I figured that was probably the case, I just wanted to see if it could be confirmed/anyone had some good thoughts on the matter, as I've yet to handle resin.