1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If BJD's were to become the 'next big thing'...

Mar 20, 2008

1. Dude, that's not cool XD (I say this based on the people in my age group in my school and country)

Also, not cool because that means lots of people will order from doll companies and maybe the quality won't be as good. And also the possibility of counterfeiting/cheap imitations.

2. Well, I think that there's another side to this myself. Although I don't yet own a BJD, my opinion might change once I have one. :P

But I think that there'd probably be Korean/Japanese boards commenting on the same thing. I think, that because so many people outside of the country of origin have one it is sort of coming closer to being mainstream. I understand the horrified vision a lot of people seem to share, of Paris Hilton on cribs or what ever it's called showing off her 200+ BJDs and saying how they are "Super hot and cutteee!" could be a little off putting. But if it wasn't popular in Asia, then it would not be popular here, simply because it would not have spread. Unless you have been there and saw an artist's doll in a small indie shop window, and decided to investigate, there will probably people who consider you to be 'faddy'. I only discovered them through chance on Deviantart, so there are probably people who'd think of me like that if they knew.

But another side of it would be to think, if they weren't more popular, there would be less companies. From what I've read, people remember that time. In all honesty, I appreciate the fact that they're getting popular. There's more places to learn from, more choice and more people to meet.

And also, lets face it: Unless Paris Hilton replaces that freaky chihuahua with a BJD they will never be 'truly' trendy or popular. We shall all owe it to the likes of Chucky and those freaky porcelian doll stories, if you ask me. The confusion surrounding them is both a blessing and a curse.

Edit: Oh, I thought I should mention this. My friend went to America to visit Universal studios and bought us all gifts. I'd spoken to her once or twice about BJD, and joked that she should get me one as a gift. She actually got me a belt that features lots of different BJD faces on it with things like "I love you" and random languages, dotted hearts and flowers all over it. This was bought from Universal studios in summer this year, for about $10. Thought you might like to know that. :O

3. I don't think BJD's will reach the point where everyone and their mother has one. For one thing, the price is enough to drive most people away. But, if it were to become mainstream in the sense that they become more known or "common" among the general public, I don't think I'll mind. I wanted to join the hobby for my own personal enjoyment, so I assume the increase of BJD owners or admirers won't have much of an affect on me. My only concern will be on how it effect the quality and price of the BJD and BJD materials.

4. This is pretty much already happening as far as the world of dolls go, and considering how things started out. BJDs have been around over a decade and they might not be as well-known as Barbie, but as far as people who know dolls go, they are pretty popular. Many, many more companies and artists are making them. Many more styles and types of bjds are being made. Prices are dropping because the more bjds out there, the more on the Marketplace. Also, companies have to compete more, and more bjds are made in countries where production costs are lower than, say, Japan, where Volks started the whole modern bjd thing.

5. Holy necromancy, Batman!

I guess if dolls achieved worldwide rabid fad status, I'd have a lot of mixed emotions. Proud that I was into it before everyone and their mom was, worried that it'll perhaps cheapen quality and make waitlists absolutely insane, and happy that accessories and wigs and such would likely become much cheaper and available - not to mention glad to have more people to talk about dolls with. It absolutely wouldn't kill my love for them, though.

6. If BJDs became the 'Next Big Thing' I really wouldn't care. I wouldn't enjoy my dolls any less, if anything, I would like it because dolls might become easier to get, the community might get even more customizers and artists that could be commissioned. I see plenty of benefits to the hobby becoming more well known and growing.

7. On one hand, I think it would be nice because then it might be easier for me to find people and talk with them about bjds and make more friends who share the hobby, and it could really bring in even more people who really do love them and may not have found out about them otherwise! :) It makes things all the more fun and enjoyable when you can share something you love with others and have them return your enthusiasm! Another positive thing would be that doll clothes, props, and furniture would probably become more easily obtainable and it would provide the opportunity to shop for these items in person and allow you to see the quality of craftsmanship for yourself before you purchase it.

On the other hand, I'm also sure that if that there will also be a whole lot of people who get a doll just to hop on the bandwagon and may not even really care about really doing anything with their doll or the creative aspect of the hobby very much. Either way though, I'm always going to love my dollies whether bjds become a fad or not. I'm sure that there will be moments where it would be a little annoying being lumped in with everyone else and people assuming that I'm in it because it's the new popular thing, but at least I would know that wasn't really the case and I'm into the hobby because it's something I do genuinely like.

8. Believe it or not, I've actually thought about this a bunch. I think, for me at least, the dolls would kind of loose their overall charm? I like how the hobby is small and not many people are interested. It's always special meeting people who are, so maybe that would throw me off the hook if basically everyone would have them.

9. There would be a lot more companies and doll artists making new sculpts too, which I would love. Everything would be more affordabke tio, because the companies would have easier access to materials and people willing to do what they need to stay running. I personally am not in the hobby because it is unique though, I'm in it because I love the dolls and have fun, which I would still do even if everyone else did the same. I wouldn't care if everyone had the same doll as me because he/she would still be personalized and unique in different ways anyways. So, I would still enjoy it.