1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If BJD's were to become the 'next big thing'...

Mar 20, 2008

1. While I definitely think it would be fun to hear more about dolls in the news or have bigger meets, I kind of like talking about my BJDs to people who know nothing about them. It adds a little uniqueness to the hobby, in my opinion. But no, I don't think I'd like 'em any less.

2. Well, I still like anime. Not that I was into it when it was very obscure stateside. And I liked Pokemon all through its insane craze. The popularity of things doesn't really bother me even if it is rampant.

3. No, it signifies I don't like to be annoyed by hordes of people, many of whom don't have the same priorities with the hobby that I do. This applies to about every activity that I do. I don't like huge band concerts in giant football stadiums either, I prefer little band concerts in small clubs where I know the people at them. Has nothing to do with being "too hip to like some popular band" (I will occasionally go to big sold-out shows if I enjoy the band enough) and everything to do with me feeling comfortable, enjoying myself and having a good time. I dislike crowds.

And when a hobby or anything caters to crowds it can get boring, like those 14324 anthro cat dolls that were all coming onto the market this year.

Other than DoA and a couple other doll forums (all of which require membership access so I'm not sure if it's "openly"), I don't "discuss it on the Internet." I'd go so far as to say that if DoA didn't have a Marketplace, I'd be here about 1/10 as much as I am.

I post very few pictures where anyone can see them, I do not have a doll site and I have yet to show anyone my doll. (Edited to add, I just remembered I showed one of my dolls to my mom and to my best friend, once. They live out of state.) I don't do all these things because I'm worried about "mainstreaming" of the hobby, but because I simply don't have time, plus getting some kind of recognition for my dolls is not important to me.

I'm not interested in being "special" but I am interested in not being bothered.

4. Several people are saying they don't think BJD can become more 'mainstream' because of the price.

Already there are 'cheaper' BJD companies coming out. Now it's not uncommon to find 60cm dolls in the $300 range, or MSDs for under $200. In a world where many people shell out $600 for a PS3, I don't think spending $200 or $300 on a doll is that far-fetched.

5. I doubt BJDs would ever turn into a big fad, but if it did.... I think I'd have very mixed feelings about it. On one side, it means more people to talk to, less people telling me I'm crazy for saving up for such an expensive doll, etc. But as much as I hate to admit it, I'd be a bit sad if it ever turned into some big media-based frenzy. I mean, I'd still love my *future* dolls and continue to participate in the hobby, but I kind of like being part of a smaller community, y'know?

6. I wouldn't really care too much if it became a big fad or something. I just don't like the people who get into fads and never truly appreciate it. I see them sometimes. They act like they are the person who started the fad and never really knwo what they are talkign about and then end up throwing away everything as soon as they see that the fad is slowing down.

On the plus side though, it will be easier to find people with similar interests and some people may find that they really do love dolls look further into them.

7. I would LOVE it if this hobby was a bit more... well, popular, for lack of a better word. I would actually love to see people carrying them around. It would make it so much easier to make friends!

But of course, I would hate to see people who owned dolls JUST to fit in with the "next big thing".

8. You again!? Seriously, I was being facetious about not posting, not keeping a doll site, and so on. I don't lie awake worrying about bjds going mainstream.
      Most-well all of my hobbies are solitary. I don't like hordes much. '
      The presence or lack of crowds would not be the reason I would become bored with the hobby.
      I know of one doll person who was temporarily burned out because she was on a few forums, subscribed to mailing lists and just became overwhelmed. If dolls were everywhere you turned this could demean the hobby I expect.
      Hmm...I think the hobby is quite out there. Once a person is aware, there are any number of sites where one does not need passwords to see all of the forms this hobby can take. And there is Youtube, of course.
      A few months ago I read an online article which taught one how to be an 'elitist b*****d' in the music world. This came to mind in regard to this discussion although I am not suggesting anyone here approaches bjds in that manner.
      You said you are interested in not being bothered- I tend to feel this hobby attracts many people who are introspective and not very inclined to be a crowd person, and furthermore are not seeking approval for their dolls. Which makes me wonder how many people come here only in search of specific information and seldom post unless to ask a question.
      I've taken hundreds of pictures of my doll, posted maybe five here and there and sent a few to my sister. I am looking for something in the photographs.
      Maybe there is something to fear about mainstreaming. Think about RC airplanes and RC cars. CB radios. A lot of fads and trends have crashed and burned.
      Then again, are we talking about American mainstreaming? Maybe the time has come and gone in other countries.

9. Having things and people nearby would not be enough of a virtue for this hobby to become mainstream.
      Thank goodness they're expensive. I'd hate to see a lot of dolls bought for the sake of being popular, and then they get neglected.
      Dolls should not be treated that way. There's a reason why we say we want unwanted dollies to go to a new "home".

10. It's a good question, for a toss-out! Well-- for some people, having their scene suddenly move from underground to popular does change what they liked about it in the first place. The feeling of 'specialness' might well be part of what drew them to that hobby in the first place. As you've noted, dollhobby attracts a lot of introverts. Some people are naturally drawn to activities with smaller followings, because they're not comfortable in a throng (of bodies or minds, so to speak). When what they love suddenly becomes too crowded, it changes their enjoyment of that activity, because it changes how they can participate. Like what Bunnydots said about concerts; you might still enjoy hearing Marilyn Manson just as much in a massive arena show today, but you'll never have quite as much fun as you did the night you saw them on the tiny beersoaked stage of some gnarly little club. ^^ (For just one of a million examples.)

For your hypothetical person, I don't think it necessarily signifies that the hobby was LESS important than the 'specialness'... let's say, it was MORE important that the hobby be entirely pleasurable. Once a certain part of it started to get uncomfortable, that was enough to give them that feeling of Burnout. Some people will just seek smaller niches to hang out in, and keep playing, but others won't tolerate any sour taste in their mouths & just flee.

I've always loved the old saying: "Oh, nobody goes there anymore-- it's too crowded." XD It says so much, without truly making any sense! What Is Cool will always be one of those elusive things. For something so insubstantial & so fleeting, its power over people is phenomenal.

11. This is kinda a maybe or maybe not question for me. I don't know how exactly I would react...
      I know that you can't like everyone in this hobby, obviously, but if everyone started to get into them...I guess it would kinda ruin it a bit for me. I think I would still totally collect them, but I would feel that the attraction would be less. Because I really like those small meets where there are twenty or so people, and you can kinda know them all. I like the small community. Sure, it sucks living in a town with only one other BJD collector, but you know, I kinda think that is a good thing in this case. If I were to see anyone else in this town collecting them. It might be odd, because I really don't get along with people in this town.
      So there are so pros and some cons, I think it would actually have to happen for me to know...
      The people in the hobby are one of the biggest things, because of the meets, so I think it would greatly effect if the collectors suddenly grew by thousands or just even hundreds. It would definitely affect the entire BJD community, including the stores.

12. If they do become the next big thing, I hope the more expensive companies stay expensive and high quality. And the little El Cheapo companies who the Fadders buy from, I hope theire dolls are inferior quality and tacky.
      And all us with the good nice expensive dolls will laugh at them :)!

13. Im not bothered. Who cares if Paris Hilton suddenly got one, Im not part of some 'dollfie elite'. Most of this talk is borderline snobbery.
      Paris Hilton is ace anyway :)

14. I agree with you honestrabbit, i love my dolls because i love my dolls, it doesn't matter who else has bjds in the world. If you can only get enjoyment out of something because you are in some elite club what does that say about you? Also even if they did become the 'next big thing' even more so than they already are I'm sure as with everything else fashionable, the craze will pass and anyone who genuinely loves bjds will be there at the end to adopt all the discarded dolls!

15. Why? Does it really matter to you that what you collect is obscure? I buy from love not popularity or lack thereof.

16. I do admit I like a smaller and cozier group of hobbyists rather than everyone and their mother. I totally agree with JennyM. And I do want to clarify there's a difference to enjoying our own dolls and enjoying the hobby as a whole, with all the activities and people in it. As the hobby grows, it becomes a bit overwhelming...

But mostly what I HATE about anything I like getting popular is the cynic backlash. I hate mentioning something I enjoy like sewing or wanting to learn quilting only to have someone roll her eyes and call me a hipster or make a comment on how "ohh everyone is doing that and here's my opinion"... :( The more people know of it, even if they're not into it, the more editorializing one encounters. Without asking for it, of course. Why can't I just enjoy my things?? Let me be. -_-

17. I must confess, I'm usually a little bit elitist about my hobbies. I don't like sharing them with everyone else in the world, because they are special and mean something personal to me. It is nice, however, to occasionally find someone who will share that hobby.

In any case, as with anything that becomes mainstream, I would be pretty annoyed. I don't like people buying things (in this case, very expensive things!) just because it's a big fad at the moment, and not because they really like it and are committed to it. Especially since so many of us have a hard time earning the money to buy a doll, and people who are better of financially are many times the first to jump into any trend.

I wouldn't mind if it became a little more well known, because I'm pretty sure that here in Portugal there are very few BJD owners, and it would be fun to occasionally have meets, or spend the afternoon doing photoshoots or sewing with someone else who is into the hobby.

18. I like the fact that they it is not an easy hobby to get into as of the time and money it takes to enjoy it properly. But I really wouldnt mind if it became a bit more mainstream then there would be more shops in the US where I could buy my pretties. For some reason NewEngland is BJD shop free :...(

But I will stress I would pray that it would NEVER become like a "pokemon" or "beanie" craze.. then you would get sloppy workmanship and cheep knockoffs everywhere in lieu of quality and beauty; And People buying just to horde the LEs for their resale value and not because they love the hobby.

That is my resin nightmare.

19. I think that my worst fear, if BJDs became so popular, would be that so many people who don't really know what they were doing would buy them.. Especially when e-bay and other places would start to be full of dolls that the owners don't want anymore, after the possible craze.. I'd find that just horrible and sad.

I've known some people, who have just abandoned the hobby and the dolls after a while because of lack of interest. And I can't help thinking that it's unfair to the dolls. :sweat

As someone said, this hobby takes a lot of guts to get into, because of the prices. And I like it that way, as it lowers the amount of people who get into it... not because I want to keep the hobby all to myself, but because I wouldn't want to see the aftereffects of the possible popularity.

20. I really like this excellent and quite lucid explanation. It comes to me that many people perceived as elitist are only people such as you describe.
      If the mainstreaming of bjd takes place, perhaps there will be a splintering of the hobby. I can imagine groups of doll owners with specific preferences forming, and regaining some of the special feeling of intimacy which comes from being apart from a crowd.
      Then I think again. First, I just don't believe the cost will keep people out of a trend or fad in a decent economy. People will often let the needful things slide in order to have something they want.
      One thing, in my opinion, which will keep people away or quickly cool their ardor will be the dolls. Even small bjds are a handful to be managing just to be seen with one. How many times would someone take their doll to a club or mall before they would just let the thing sit at home. And an inexpensive doll requires clothing, eyes, wigs just like the more costly ones.
      So Paris Hilton or Hannah Montana is seen with a doll. The hordes go in search of one of their own, comapanies are swamped with orders, and other companies spring up overnight to handle demand.
      The would-be owners are left unfulfilled mostly, or learn that that their is more involved to having a doll than just possession.
      \All in all, I would predict a short-lived phenomenon. However, I have noticed something among doll colletors who are already in the hobby. Just a little thing in doll groups and forums: here and there people are selling their Blythes, Pullips, and Tonners in order to afford a bjd.
      By the way, the splintering I mentioned may be happening to some extent anyway, nevermind mainstreaming.
      What I love about 'cool' is that a better term than cool does not exist to describe 'cool', and the concept of cool has been around for centuries.