1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If BJD's were to become the 'next big thing'...

Mar 20, 2008

1. I'd be a turn off for me :doh

2. It would be great. Then it would probably be easier to buy both dolls and stuff to them and I'd have more people to share interests with! I don't mind if some of my interests were to come the next big thing. It already happened to anime, manga and videogames and so far it's only led to positive things, like a more accepting attitude amongst other people.

3. I think that it would kind of suck.Because if everyone wanted one then they would just want one for the sake of having one.I myself, and I am sure that many other users on this site have fallen in love with them for quality,beauty and the overall taime it takes to make such a one of a kind look that keeps us drawn in.If they were to become mainstream then they would simply lose their appeal.

4. I wouldn't mind if ABJD's became the "next big thing" or whatever. I purchase my dolls for myself. Even if it does bring in annoying fangirls and fanboys I wouldn't care. I love MY boys so why be so thin skinned and let others get your hair in knots. Folks are entitled to like whatever they want no matter how frivolous and shallow the reasons. I just mind my own business and enjoy myself regardless of screaming fans.

Lets say you have a boyfriend then all of a sudden all a bunch of girls your know get boyfriends because it was the "cool" thing to do. Would your relationship with your guy be strained because girls with one everywhere? Would you dump your boyfriend because everyone else has one?

5. The idea of them being "the next big thing" is both an enjoyable and detestable idea.

Enjoyable:
      - Easier to obtain the dolls themselves
      - Easier to obtain outfits and accessories
      - My extended family would stop calling me a freak behind my back
      - More people would understand me
      - More people to talk about bjds with
      - Possability of prices lowering

Detestable:
      - Possability of prices increasing dramatically
      - Collecting might lose charm
      - I'd become "one of those bjd girls"
      - The whole "I was into it before you" would definitely ensue-- it happens with everything that goes from being a cult classic to being mainstream/pop culture, so of course it would happen with this

6. People who say that if BJDs were to become "mainstream" would make them not like it, sound kinda stupid to me. BJDs aren't that big of a secret really. And saying you wouldn't like them just because they become popular, basically is saying you like them just because they are "unique and different". If BJD were to become massively popular, and people thought they HAD to buy a doll to fit in, it would be their money to spend.

7. Ehhh... I'm kind of in the "no thanks" camp on this one. I have no problems with welcoming newcomers into the BJD world and seeing more merchandise available on a wider scale, but the thought of walking into a department store and seeing super-cheap "BJD's" on the same shelves as Barbie and Bratz just makes me weep inside.

I try not to be elitist when it comes to this stuff, or any subculture interest of mine, but I don't always succeed. My best example is when I was heavily into the Silent Hill fandom. I played all the games from the day they came out, was an active member of the forums for years, knew all the trivia, bla bla bla.

Then, the movie came out. This brought newcomers in droves to the community, and all claimed they were the Biggest Fans EVAR because they'd watched the movie. It pissed me off, and I ended up leaving the fandom because of it. It's petty, I know.

8. That would be sooooooo cooool!:whee: Maybe it would be easier to get stuff too like doll clothes without having to deal with shipping!

9. In all honestly, I would be rather disappointed if something like that occured. But it's like that when anything we find special becomes popular. I would still adore my BJD.

I don't think they'll ever become really popular. They're already well known with the anime/manga community and there are often doll meet-ups at conventions. So, it's not like they're a secret or anything. People know they exist, but aren't always willing to pay the price to get one.

But as far as the Abercromie and Hollister crowds are concerned, it'll never happen. So, I don't worry about it.

10. This made me think of what my Mum said the other day about my dolls, that they're the 'new big thing'. I corrected her saying they'd been going for a long time but I myself had only just descovered them hehe!

To answer the question though, I think I'd really like it if more people collected BJDs. It would mean my dolls could make friends for real and not just on the internet hehe!

11. The title of this thread scared me, and I think that's indication enough. If BJDs were to become the next big thing, like anime, for example, did, I think I'd be heartbroken. Would our community as we know it die?

12. Lol, i dont think it would be too much of a problem for me, im 'one of those bjd guys' and thats a rarity in a rarity, lol. That, and I could easily just go "nyeh, i have a limited that you'll NEVER GET!" lol, but that would be a bit jerkish, but still lol.

13. I honestly wouldn't care. My purchases and the ones at home were bought to be special to me and only me. So if I choose a popular mold its due to me loving it in some way. The bigger the hobby...would most likely equal more drama. Right now things are a tad clicky and that would just get worse over time. It be nice to have more people to talk to, but I wouldn't want the drama.

14. I guess I'm one of the new wave coming in! I saw a photo of a doll someone posted on a blog, and I was amazed. Since then, I've purchased two dolls and found it's hard to find simple things for them. I've become more creative and resourceful.

I honestly think the price of some BJDs will keep them from being super-popular, especially in this current economy.

15. It wouldn't matter to me either way...

I don't collect them for their novel rarity.
      Nor do I need the support or companionship of other collectors to enjoy them.

Though it might be nice to have access to ABJD dealer stores stateside... Other than Volks.

16. Honestly, I would stop the hobby, or sell off my doll(s) because I wouldn't be having any more fun at all. I feel like in my area, even though we are spread a bit thin, we have a good sized group with I know of atleast 2 and one more who will eventually be getting their own dolls.

In the area, last time we all counted, there were, 15-19 people, and around 40 dolls? I like it like that too, it means that we can have smaller meet-ups, maybe not as often as some of us would like, but it's more personal that way.

Now, if I ever saw any super star or 'always on the media's mind' person, or their children, I would want to either steal their doll and sell it and give the money to charity, or just shoot them in the leg or something. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you need it. ಠ_ಠ

17. I'd be delighted by the influx of new molds and clothing and such to choose from. That's...about it. ^_^

18. I think it'd be awesome. Obviously, there'd be people who would be in it just to be popular or whatnot, but I feel like it's nothing new. I know many people who have gotten into fandoms or bought something because 'everyone was getting one/seeing it,' etc. and I'm sure I'm no exception.

It would certainly nice to walk around and share my hobby with everyone instead of having a latent fear that they may think I'm someone really creepy, but I also think pretty much every hobby/thing has the people who are elitists, who buy things for popularity, or other reasons that don't seem what I'd call generally "good" reasons.

But sitting together with all of my friends with our dolls would be great. :3

19. It wouldn't matter to me if BJDs ever got to the point of being mainstream. I like BJDs cause I genuinely like them, not cause everyone else is doing it. If others are going to invest $600+ of their money on something that they might not like/afford/want, then too bad for them.

20. bit of a turnoff XD!!

but by then whatever doll i have bought would stay with me. As I did ofcourse got them with enough consideration and that they do appeal to me that much.