1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

if dolls were less expensive...

Jul 23, 2015

1. i always think, if our dolls were more affordable like barbie...would u love them like u do now? would u be buying a whole population of them or just the same ike now?

actually, for myself i always think their price have play a role in keep me going for this hobby

2. Oh gosh, I think I would have a wild population and I would spoil them even more rotten than I do now XD.

3. I don't think I'd have many more than now. I'm at 17 dolls + 11 heads, plus waiting on some while planning to buy a few more, but that's literally my personal limit, so... If their paraphernalia were that much cheaper though I'd spoil them absolutely rotten.

4. i think i would keep at size 50-ish if they ar cheap :)
      but for their price now, 20 should be a max too...

5. If the quality would be still the same, then surely I would still like them as I do now.
      However, I think the charm of the hobby and collecting would be gone. I love the part of the hobby where you need to work, save and wait for the doll. In the end the experience itself is worth more than going to a random toy shop and picking up a doll that you can afford really easily. The way it is now, it feels more rewarding and exiting, imo.
      I would probably still have around the same number of dolls. I love looking at large collections but not owning them. Less dolls but spoiled is what I prefer.

6. There would be so many dolls here... So many... I would have all my characters if they were lower prices! :aeyepop:
      I honestly love the size, weight, and quality of them, yet the price always makes it hard to get more. If they were less, there wouldn't be much stopping me from getting more! My husband and others would be more agreeable too! :D

7. oh yes...hubby...that what bugs me the most...

8. Oh Wow!!! If BJD's were less expensive I'd definitely have a lot more of them and I would have more money to buy them more clothes, props, furniture. Ahhh if only....

9. I know if they were that cheap, I'd have my entire wishlist, plus a lot of the fantasy dolls I admire from afar. And then I could focus on developing faceup skills and spend money on clothes and props :D

10. I would probably have the same. I think space would be an issue in controlling my population if price wasn't! There would be allot more wigs and shoes around here though I can tell you that!

11. If bjd can be less expensive, I would probably buy every collection that I love! It's painful when you have to make a decision on which doll you will get base on the tight budget since they are all so adorable, but the price is not as cute as they are!

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

12. That's a funny thought. I would definitely have more, but not that many more (less than 10) because I live in a small cottage and I don't like dolls sat around gathering dust. They must stay safe in the cabinet. That's not so much to do with cost as just how I want my house to look, not that keen on clutter - other than in my workroom which looks like a bomb went off! I could never be one of those people who has 30 or more dolls, even though I really enjoy looking at their collections... I think I would feel a bit oppressed by that many! I also always do work on mine, even if it's just the face-up though, so that restricts how many you can have.... because it's not great having lots of unfinished dolls stood around. Not for me anyway :)

13. My collection would probably look pretty much the same... I might have a few more of the sculpts that are currently in the "No way. That's just TOO pricey."-category, but numbers-wise I doubt there would be all that many more dolls here overall.

I just don't have much additional space, and ultimately it's the question of real estate that puts a hard upper limit on the size of my crew. I'm patient enough about the marketplace and cagey enough with my money that I can usually find and afford just about anything I want sooner or later, but I can't make my display cabinets or the out-of-direct-light parts of my house where they're standing any roomier. :lol:

#13 Brightfires, Jul 23, 2015
      Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    14. I think the price has nothing to do with my love for these dolls. And even Monster High dolls. I love them. I was a HUGE fan of barbie but they just got super boring. Everyone had one. I can't stay away from BJDs though. You are available to customize literally everything and I think it's a beautiful hobby.

15. I'd get a few more, but space is would an issue. I like SD sized dolls and they take up quite a bit of space.

16. My tinies population would explode! And I would probably never sell any of them. .. it's much harder to justify having a $600 doll on the shelf that I don't interact with much over a $20 doll

17. If dolls were less expensive I'd think quite a few artists wouldn't be able to afford to keep producing for the market, the way things are now.

But the industry as a whole might change (we all hope) and treat sculptors better. And in any case, technology is waiting on no one and is already exerting a pressure on everyone in the hobby.

18. I think the problem if they dropped that significantly in price would be the quality drop and children getting into the hobby unknowing of how much work it is. I'm not talking teenagers, but toddlers that cry in store to get the doll they want and their parent's allowing it... only to have the doll completely destroyed in a few days. That would lead to complaints about how easily they are broken, refunds requested, and a whole lot of angry doll makers. Even if a warning label existed that said "not suitable ages 10 and below" I think people would bend the rules. I've seen it dozen of times in toy stores just to make the child stop crying.

On the other hand it would make it easier for serious doll collectors to get the dolls they desire. As much as a bonus for people like me (broke college student), I think the cost would be the personal touch would be lost because of supply and demand most likely leading to huge wait times and eventual machine manufacturing.

19. I....would probably have a lot fewer. If I could just go to WalMart and pick them up for $15 each, I wouldn't feel like they were anything special. I think the saving, waiting, creativity and scarcity of some of the ones I own now is what makes them so special. I hope that doesn't come across as snobby, but it's how I feel.

Before I found this hobby, I did splurge on Bratz and Barbies. My sister and I both collected, and would pick them up every chance we got at flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales and such for a dollar or so. At one point, combined, we had well over 400 dolls, yet only really loved maybe 10 each. When we sold them (to buy our first BJDs!) we got about $250 total for all of them. They held no value. I think if BJDs ended up being the cost of a Barbie, they would have no value either. Maybe you'd get $2 for a used one, maybe not. I think a lot of the appeal of the hobby would also be lost then, if your collection was suddenly worth maybe $10 instead of $2500. It would destroy the secondhand market.

20. I would probably have five or so if the quality staid the same, but I know they wouldn't be as special to me. The hobby is all about saving up and getting a rush of joy as you open their box. All of that excitement would be gone if they were as expensive and common as barbies.