1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If there was another word for BJDs, would they be easier to talk about?

Jul 6, 2011

1. So true, and if you think about it even the most 'normal' of hobbies may seem strange to some. For example, I find stamp collecting strange, doesn't make it any less of a hobby.

2. I think, in the end, it doesn't make a difference. If there was another word for it that people actually knew what you were talking about, they'd still think of it as a doll. I've taken my boys to school with me in the past, and people to whom I've never talked, nevermind said the word 'doll', thought they were barbies.
      And those who had actually seen barbies in their life still thought of them as dolls, because at the end of the day, that's what they are and everyone can see it...

3. Yup, quite an interesting question, BJD and the description can be unweildy and at the end of the day different people will see different sorts of dolls in their own minds eye (baby, barbie,porcelain etc.)

I like the idea of art dolls or art figures, to me it's not pretentious but just gives them a different element, after all they are more expensive and less mass produced. I have nothing against barbie or any other doll collectors, indeed I have and still do collect some off-topic dolls but I think it's nice to distinguish them as something a bit different!

4. I usually just say BJDs, but if i want people to understand what I'm talking about, i technically need the word doll... so then I say art-dolls, or resin-dolls and sometimes modeling-dolls. People generally seem to accept those words more, as they sort of implicate that this is more than just "a" doll, that it actually may be something more mature/expensive/unique than just some barbie. Generally, people I know actually think it's a nice hobby ^w^

I don't think another word would help much; it would be like just saying BJD. People who don't know what it is need it explained, and to help them understand, you inevitably end up telling them that it's a doll ^^;

5. Definitely agreed! For some of us (me included) stamp collecting may seem strange, while for the stamp collectors, it's perfectly normal. I've even met a couple who thought playing an instrument is a strange hobby, so it's all basically about your perspective on the topic.

6. True, a doll's a doll to the uninitiated ;-);)

7. Totally, if there was a diffrent name it really would be eaier to talk about to me. Not to say that its that akward but it would to me.

8. I'm sorry, my computer keeps double posting stuff. :/

9. Well, they are dolls! There's really no other way to put it. I prefer saying "BJD", because it's more specific and yet is sort of a cover-up. And since most people don't know what a BJD is, I can explain it to them in a way that doesn't make it sound...like a Barbie. And if the person happens to know what BJD stands for, then chances are they don't think the hobby is odd, and then I can talk about it without feeling embarrassed.

10. I don't think it's PC-speaking, technically. I think it's more like... not wanting people to think you're weird for having a lot of dolls. So we use doublespeak; politicians use it all the time to make you think certain ways.

But what you say has to do with what I wrote. I think, if you were to tell someone about your dolls through email, or in text, and you describe them as "artist figures" or "photography model figures", they might think up their own image. You could even show them artistically done photos, and they still might believe that they're purely for art's sake. They might think that they're purely a more elaborate form of those shapeless wooden dolls people use to help with proportions.

I think the perception changes when people see these dolls in person - more-so out at a meet, rather than in your home. In your home, you might have an elaborate set-up where you store them, so people might still believe they're very...fancy (bad choice of word, though). But I don't think a lot of people would have an easy time maintaining the belief that these are "artistic figures" when they see you out and about with them. I don't think most people would imagine taking an "artistic figure" out with them.

I think that's where you'd lose me if I didn't know about these dolls at all. I think, to outsiders, they might think we were sort of "tip-toeing" around calling them dolls, for some reason - even if we weren't.

I was actually thinking about stamp collecting yesterday, oddly enough. I think I've become more understanding when it comes to hobbies like stamp and coin collecting. They're not something I'd see myself getting into, though, because I tend to gravitate towards hobbies that involve making things and doing things with what you make - which is why I like BJDs, as well as jewelry-making, and even as far as loving Legos as a kid.

But I think I have a greater understanding of stamp collecting because, like doll collecting of any kind, it's misunderstood. I can understand why people would love stamps more than I would've a few years ago.

11. Ball-joint-figure or ball-joint-sculptures world be weird . I just can't imagine saying BJF or BJS instead of BJD. In agree with yiou, there is nothing the matter with the word doll.

12. I came from the "stink eye" camp...I wouldn't let it show, but I had what for me, was a negative stereotype of what a "DOLL COLLECTOR" would be. No offense to anyone, but like how I felt years ago when my grandmother made tissue box covers out of the plastic sheets that you intertwine yarn? It can be subtle. What I hear in this question is an attempt to say, not THOSE dolls.

My first reaction was, yeah! These are like, from another planet. They need to be set apart.
      These discussions are so interesting to me. As I read other people's comments it cleared up for me. They are dolls, and most people will always just see them as... JUST dolls. This is really clearing things up for me.

I've especially faced this because I am an artist and I get invited to have exhibits in galleries all the time. [It is actually an expensive proposition for me] tangent -- I've tried to suggest letting me do a show of art based on these dolls. No matter how I try to describe it, I get these glazed over looks and that hollow sounding "uh-huh".........and topic changes like: "What about angels" code for we don't want no stinkin' doll art around here. Haaa = PREJUDICE

I see that it is just time for me to stop trying to get people to understand this. Accept that some people are just "doll blind",,,like color blind. You can't explain color if a person has never received it through their eyes. At least, it is very challenging.

I've noticed that part of what gives a group special bonding is this "outsider" -- then, I've found MY PEOPLE. We learn all the abbreviations, er, like bjd. It is our language, and our world.

But I still realLY!!!! want to make 2-dimensional art of the dolls to try to bring some of this color to the rest of the world in a way that they might receive and then enjoy and love it like we do. Having mmore beauty, innocence or even emotional release is what the world needs...

OK> big tangent. I stop now. :|

13. If memory serves, I usually say 'resin ball-joint dolls' when I do find myself describing these dolls to people who are outside the hobby. This is generally enough for them to understand that the dolls in question are a less widely known kind.

I doubt that calling them something other than a doll will neutralize the stigma attached to doll-collecting. As other people in this thread have mentioned, coming up with some kind of euphemism for the hobby could make it sound like there is something wrong or shameful about being a doll collector.

14. I usually don't connect BJD's to other dolls like people had as kids, but as you said it's different from the 'inside' than not really knowing what they are. I do get funny looks from people if I just say 'doll' but once I explain a little bit about the differences and how they can actually be used for art and modeling, people usually say 'oh, that's pretty cool'. I think BJD works just fine for a 'codename' I guess, because no matter what you'll end up having the explain the difference.

15. I can kind of see where the OP is coming from, there is a rather negative connotation with the word doll. Whenever I would say that I am a doll collector, most people would immediately think of creepy porcelain dolls in a cupboard. Once I explained more they were less creeped out. Now I tend to start by saying that they are Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls to give the person a better mental picture than what is usually used in horror movies. Usually as long as you specify what kind of dolls you're talking about people will give you more of a chance.

16. This is a lot like the age old "GI-Joe is an ACTION FIGURE, not a DOLL" arguement when really he's just a super poseable Ken marketed for boys. No matter what you call him he's still a doll. The same is true for our BJDs. They're still dolls. As others have said, if someone is going to think you're weird it won't matter what you call em, some might even think you're extra weird for trying to call them something other than what they are. Or think you're hiding or running away from something that shouldn't really be an issue. It's true that if the "outsider" hasn't seen the doll yet, they might think they're for artistic purposes if you explain it that way. However if they do see it in person, and see how most owners act with them, they're gonna get the impression that the dolls are well... Dolls.

I find that addressing them as asian ball-jointed dolls to be enough to get my point across that while they are still dolls, they are different than your everyday walmart Barbie.

I would like to point out that even if the "outsider" DOES know what a bjd is, there's no guarantee that they won't still think you're weird. I've met a few people that know of this hobby and what we collect and they still think most of us are bonkers, usually because they've seen a few of the more eccentric hobbiers.

As others have said, even 'normal' hobbies can be seen as weird to some people. I know someone younger than I (they're about 18 now) who completely doesn't get why anyone would want to play video games. They just don't get it at all. :?

17. I don't think it would help at all because there are many people who have no idea what a BJD is in the first place. If we called it by a different name, many people still would not know what that was and we would have to explain to them that it's a doll essentially. It's like, if you went to a foreign country that did not know what Coca-Cola was (although I'm pretty sure a place does not exist that doesn't know what Coke is) you would have to explain that it was a soda. A BJD by any other name is still a doll.

18. I don't think that the problem is with the word 'doll,' it's with the stigma involved with the word. As long as we keep treating 'dolls' like they are emasculating and not to be taken seriously as a hobby, they will be viewed negatively. As Ezekely above me said, the view that dolls should be called action figures instead is what causes this problem in the first place.

19. I just really don't care if anybody approves of me being a DOLL COLLECTOR. :P I come from a family with weird interests and hobbies, so nobody really thinks much about me having dolls. My grandpa collected buttons, rings, belt buckles and western items. And canes. My grandma had a ton of newspaper clippings. My dad has a collection of old tyme parts to....who knows what.....my mom has a collection of tin cans and rolling pins. I might not understand the fascination with some of these things, but I can respect that other people do.

Honestly, I feel no need to lie about or disguise my doll hobby. and if somebody judges me negatively for being open about who I am and what I like...they don't really matter enough for me to be upset anyway.

20. I will admit that I tend to get embarrassed when the topic of BJDs comes up around my friends, but I have to agree with what's already been said- even if you used a different word for them, people would still see BJDs and think "doll." At the end of the day, that's what people think of when they see any small-scale representation of the human form that allows for movement (with the obvious exception of sculptures for that reason).