1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could have a do over in this hobby what would it be?

Jan 30, 2021

1. If I had a do-over, I would have bought 1/3 size first instead of starting with 1/4

2. Oh, I super relate to this! I didn’t tell my husband about my dolls until a few months after we got married. We’d been cohabiting for 2 years (together over 3 years) by that point. I hid my dolls in the back of a glass bookcase in my office, carefully hidden behind some books. I was scared that my husband would reject me and treat me differently if he knew about them.

I had that fear because a guy I had dated in my early 20s freaked out when I showed him my doll. He got super uncomfortable and said, “This is weird... why are you showing me this?...” He lost interest in me shortly after, so I always felt like owning dolls would scare guys away.

That’s why I didn’t tell my husband for so long. I would literally look at doll sites in secret, and then quickly change the tab if he was walking by. It was obvious I was hiding something from him, and he started to get suspicious of my behavior. :lol: But then I finally confessed to looking at BJDs online after he asked me what I was hiding, and then showed him the dolls hidden in my bookcase, and he was super relieved, lol!

Then he was all on board with helping me build dioramas for them, and he even got me a nice display case for Christmas that he installed LEDs in. I feel so bad for hiding this part of myself from him, when he was so sweet and accepting about it. I’m glad that your fiancé is accepting too! It’s such a nice feeling to be able to be yourself with your loved ones.

3. The number one do over for me would be to attend as many BJD conventions as I possibly could! I've only been able to attend the PNWBJD con but I absolutely loved it! Meeting people with different dolls, seeing the clothes, props, and BJDs for sale - it's such a great and awesome experience!

Other things are hindsight and for me, it's really hard to say that I've made a mistake in purchasing stuff. I've bought and sold dolls, bought lots of clothes, but it's through the experience of buying them, receiving them, and maybe trying them on that made me realize that they weren't my dolls or my aethestic, etc. Additionally, I'm not sure I would like to give up the variety of sculpts, sizes, and fashions that the current BJD world now has, but I do wish I got a chance to experience the hardcore DIY culture from when BJDs first started. The few stories I've read online make it sound like a fantastic time!

4. I would have settled for one size of dolls and bought fewer probably. Simply because of the complication of having to draft patterns for all these different dolls which is so time consuming, and them not sharing shoes, wigs etc... As it is my crew ranges from 70cm boys all the way down to Pukipukis.

5. I'm really glad your husband is super supportive too! And I'm really sorry you had that fear instilled into you by that ex-boyfriend. It's not a fun place to be, afraid to enjoy something you love, but I know how that feels too since my dad kind of pushed me from the hobby. I still struggle with the idea of getting my dolls back out more often now to play with, but it's lessening and I'm becoming more comfortable to even talk to my fiance about them. They are a bit packed away for the moving, but I won't feel the need to hide them in the back of a closet and buried beneath other things anymore.

I'll have to look up some of your photos and see those diorama's he helped you build! I really like the idea of little scenes for my dolls too, but it might be a while before I can really get into that side of things. It's a small house and we have a dog, so I really only have the attic that's dog-free.

6. My first doll has a romantic version head which the company sells occasionally with the body. Meanwhile the normal head is available for separated purchase all year round. I kinda regret that I ordered the normal head + body instead of waiting for the romantic head. Now if I want the romantic head I have to get it together with another body. I love my doll, but I don’t think my love for it is strong enough to overcome the cost&care required from two 60cm+ bodies.
      Also my first doll was decided between two dolls, and the one I didn’t pick was discontinued by the company years ago. The fact that I prefer one over another due to the concern of resin/posability doesn’t mean I did not want the other doll. I regret that I didn’t get the other doll later when I have the money.

#86 sylfr, Apr 21, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    7. Ohh, it's so rough when family members treat you that way. :( So sorry your dad made you feel that way about your dolls.
      And that's great to hear that you're getting more comfortable with taking them out! I will say, after I was able to openly display my dolls after hiding them for so long, it felt really nice being able to see them everyday. Like I had reclaimed that part of myself again. Maybe you'll feel that way too, over time. ^^

And hehe, I don't have any pictures of my dollhouses yet! :sweat I've been lazy about getting the shingles done on one (last part), and painting the other. I'll have to take pictures of them soon. Dioramas/dollhouses are fun, but quite the project, lol!

#87 Sheyda, Apr 21, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    8. I'm very confident my dad didn't mean to make me feel that way, he just hated seeing me spend hundreds of dollars on something HE thought was entirely pointless when I hadn't played with Barbies since I was about 10. I failed in explaining how the writing medium of photostories seemed so intriguing to me, so he just will never understand. Otherwise he and I have a pretty great relationship. But yeah, now that I can feel more confident and comfortable in my fiance's house with my dolls, it'll be nice to do things with them again, even if I won't display them (it's a small house and, well, our dog is incredibly excitable. It's not that I don't think she'll chew them up, she's more inclined to accidentally knock the whole display thing over. I have to be VERY careful with fragile things around her. Not to mention I'm also a clutz)

I'd love to see pictures once you get some then! But yeah, I can see how they would be quite the project. I love the idea of them, I just have no idea how I would start making one for myself, so I mostly enjoy the ones others do. They all end up being so different, it's incredible.

9. I wish I would have gone to the Volks LA store when it had a physical storefront, and to the events that were held at the mansion.
      I was less than an hour away by plane for years, and then it was gone.

10. I would've bought a DOD Si for my first doll like I wanted too cdfevgrbth

11. I'd have waited on my last two layaways and instead went for a long BJDivas layaway for Fairyland Dina Doe Basic. No chance I'm ever getting her now with the second hand market price (I'd really need a long long layaway -_-). I didn't know BJDivas was an option OTL I'd also probably would have saved up for a Luts fantasy limited edition. Same situation, didn't know BJDivas was an option and would need super long layaway. Not that I like my cheaper bjds any less though (I still want a Doll Leaves Lan and Teresa so bad, they're so cute). But yeah.

12. Saving money and buying doll I love rather then ones I can afford

13. Definitely waiting to start buying till I had money for the dolls I wanted not the "affordable" ones

14. Back when I was sculpting dolls, there was a group of anonymous people that seemed to make it their dayjob to spread falls rumors about me, my attitude, my customer service and the quality of my dolls (or alleged lack thereof). I thought that most people wouldn't be affected by such nonsense, because they would see for themselves if the rumors were true or not and make up their own mind.

Looking back, I would've been way more assertive in my replies to their bashing, because their behavior turned out to have a serious (negative) impact on my business. People took their comments seriously and didn't look into the matter themselves. I still get comments from people surprised that my dolls aren't ugly or bad quality at all, like they heard when I was still in business. These could've been potential customers, but they were scared off by the negative 'reviews' and never checked my website.

#94 Silk, Apr 27, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    15. Okay, wow, that's awful.

That's when you create your own FB group/fan page and let your fans/loyal customers do your work for you.

16. I wish I had invested less of my money initially and dipped my toes in instead of cannonballing into the hobby.

17. hmmm... if i could have a do-over, i would go right back to the beginning and tell younger me to save up for a 1/3 from a more expensive company instead of launching straight into "cool affordable doll i can get NOW," you know?

18. Well, I should just have been a little less naive about how open-minded 'the internet' is and stop the discussions the sooner. Letting loyal customers defend you has its own downsides: There's this board game developer with a VERY loyal fanbase, but they are so defensive that their attitude becomes off-putting and not exactly inviting to newcomers.

19. If I could have a do-over I wouldn't have sold my Feeple60 Erda, thinking I could get him back easily. I miss that boy almost every day. :...(

20. There have been a lot of times where I've been considering buying a doll second-hand, but I've waited too long and they end up being bought by someone else by the time I'm done thinking about it. Would love to go back and purchase at least a few of those dolls while I had the chance.