1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could make the hobby your job would you?

Aug 9, 2018

1. I would love to! I plan on filming an unboxing video when I get my next doll and doing youtube. Craft with me's, wine and dollies (with no wine cause I'm only 19 lol), prop making, and general crafty chatty stuff. I like watching that stuff so It's what I would like to put out there.

2. I'm a freelancer artist whose main and only job is BJDs and BJD related stuff. Doing this since 2014, so far so good, no burnouts. I started hobby in 2009 and gained a lot of experience. Then I felt I can do this my main job - and my previous job was in IT with a very good salary.
      I'd dare to say even more - BJD services that I offer is the only source of income in my family)) I'm a registered entrepreneur, paying taxes and so on.

And I still consider what I'm doing my hobby, often referring to it that way when I tell other people about my occupation.

I should say that a variety of tasks I decided to take on myself helps greatly. If I did only sewing, or only shoemaking, or only sculpting - it most likely would be terrible. But I do all of the above and a lot more. So I just move from one task to another, doing stuff in batches and never having to stress about huge technological gaps when something has to dry for several days, and so on.

Also, what is really important is not only high skill level, but the uniqueness of your craft. I did my research to find the areas where competition is not huge, so I filled in the gaps with my craft. Offer something that people are craving for - and you'll be at the top, you'll be able to take one commission and decline the other, and so on. You'll build a fanbase of devoted customers who are able to push your creativity by giving you the interesting and challenging tasks.

#102 ira_scargeear, May 27, 2019
      Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    3. I'm not sure. I feel like it would ruin the hobby for me in a way, but /I still love Art even though I do commissions. I think if I was doing face-ups or something I could do it, but not making my own sculpt.

4. I am trying to sew more to hopefully sell clothes to make some money besides my job.

5. Now it is my dream. I feel that I reached some peak of enthusiasm on bjd now, so I'd really like to make it my job any way. I wish I'd be a sculptor or bjd-makeuper, or make something for dolls, but I haven't got skills for it and now I'm not ready to learn it.
      Now I think the best way for me would be to become manager of some bjd-company or bjd-artist, or something like that, but how :(

6. Sculpting was never in my forte, nor making anything traditional (wig, clothes, props, and the likes). So in that aspect I would rather be an expectator. But when it comes to the digital and making of concepts, I would gladly take that opportunity and be part of the production as I love design.

7. In a perfect world; I totally would...but this is the real world and unfortunately I’m not talented enough, nor knowledgeable enough to say that I could make this hobby an actual job. Maybe a side hobby job, but not as my main source of income.

8. I actually do a little bit, gathering clothes and wigs and eyes and stuff to sell, though I also help rehome dolls, usually for a bit of commission, and I think it would be an excellent job for full time if I didn’t have to travel to do it...

9. No, no I don’t think I would. It sounds like fun, but I think the stress of trying to make a living finding clients would wear me down.

10. I’m not sure though... I think I wouldn’t because I’m not talented enough and even if I were, I don’t think I could make a living out of it. Unless some company hired me with a fixed salary :3nodding:

11. I would love to work in a BJD store, but not own one.

I'd also like to earn enough in my current job to just get what I want...but sadly I'm a teacher and I spend most of my money on classroom supplies and food to feed students that don't get cared for at home.

12. Personally, No.

I'm always hesitant at the thought of taking one of my hobbies or personal interests and turning it into a job. I feel like it'd ruin that certain hobby for me and that I'd grow to resent it :(

13. I've met a lot of people in this hobby that see others as a source of money, as opposed to just fellow hobby enthusiasts and to a point it sort of bothers me. It's the I'm going to capitalize mindset for sure. I don't think you have to create stuff to be welcomed in the hobby, or to enjoy it as much as the next person. I don't really like the "these dolls are expensive so I can make money in this hobby" thought process really. In my experiences those kind of people seem to be missing what I love about the hobby entirely. Which is just the ability to have fun and enjoy collecting dolls.

14. I wouldn't want to do stuff for the money, I think I would feel pressured, and it would take the fun out of it. I want to get better with my photography and my more consistent with my YouTube channel, I also want to get better with crafting things for my dolls, but I don't want to make a profit from these things, I am just hoping to find even more people to share this hobby with.

15. In an ideal world I could run a physical BJD shop of my own with clothes, dolls, wigs, furniture and more along with customization and repair services. Its not an ideal world though, so I think I'd try to make a go of it sewing and selling clothes on Etsy, along with making jewelry.
      Maybe if I feel my skills get good enough I'd start offering wigs and face up services as well.

16. Probably not a good idea- I tried a bit customizing dolls but I am not patient enough and it became frustrating and I lost interest

17. If I could, I would keep it as a secondary job.
      Cause BJD hobby is quite small, and begin an indi bussiner, the income you get by selling might be useful, but not enough for living. (Unless you got good luck...I

18. I would love to have a full-time job in this hobby! I love creating and making things with my hands. I could see myself getting into making clay objects/horns for dolls as I love working with clay the most! The only downside I see is like you mentioned, getting started and refining your craft. Starting a business, no matter what it is, will always have its ups and downs but doing something you love makes it seem like less of a challenge. :)

19. For this hobby I personally wouldn't do anything full time as I want to keep it purely fun. I do agree with Teddy, plm0331,and Silk though.

From my own experience, It's hard making art a job no matter what medium you are in. There are obstacles for every market and the journey is sometimes not a lot of people's cup of tea. For me most of that was learning the business side and keeping myself safe as well as keeping customers satisfied with their order.

I'm in a different market so I don't know how difficult the bjd one is but I certainly wish anyone getting into it the best of luck.
      Also, on a lighter note, If anyone is discouraged with said work or freelancing I really recommend taking a look at Marco Bucci.
      He may be working a different medium but I felt this video is often reassuring and has some good points.:whee:

#119 Boar, Oct 3, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    20. No, Absolutely not.
      Unless the job was gaming, My hobbies need to stay at that. And some people make what they love their job and profession, but in high school I learned that forcing me to do things I enjoy within time limits and to certain specifications just does not work for me. I loved art classes, but they stressed me out. If My job had to do with BJDs, I feel like it would burn a hole in me real quickly. Though I do want to sew on teh side for them, I still haven't done it! I'm safer with my high demand office job. xD