1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Puchases: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oct 27, 2010

1. It might have happened to you: An itchy trigger finger and late-night web browsing causes you to wake up with a good bit of money lost and an item you were so sure you wanted then, but now you're not as confident. :doh

In this hobby full of rather expensive (and often limited) items, impulse buys can have negative results, but they may also turn out to be the best decisions you've ever made.

So, let's share our stories of our worst and best bjd-related impulse buys and what we've learned, if anything, from our experiences!

> For those of you who have made impulse purchases before:

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

What did you learn from this experience?

What was your best impulse buy decision and why?

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase?

> For those of you who have never bought an item on impulse:

What do you think of impulse purchases?

What keeps you from making them?

2. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I purchased an Asleep Eidolon Jiao Jr off the marketplace in a fit of "omg suuuu cute". I ended up putting her up for sale a week after she arrived.

Stick to your wishlist! It will guide you! XD

My Aemaeth. Notdoll was/is stopping production of their Lady line, which I absolutely love. So even though I didn't really have the surplus money, per say, I'm glad I got her when I could.

If there is a limited/going out of production doll that you love, buy it!

Give yourself a couple days to think about it and don't bankrupt yourself for resin. ;)

3. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I'd have to say when I bought my first doll, a Volks MSD Toppi. I bought her off the secondhand market and I really jumped the gun since I wanted her so bad. I overpaid (compared to the average sales price of a Toppi) by about $300, in the end I sold her about 7 months later and at a several hundred dollar loss.

When buying on the second-hand market, it will always be in my best interest to sit and wait for a good deal instead of jumping on the first one I see regardless of price. Also, to do more price research on what the last couple ones sold for and to set a maximum price I'm willing to pay before searching for a doll.

...Come to think of it, none of my doll-related impulse buys have ever really worked out for me in a positive way.

N/A

Try and think if there is anything else you would prefer to spend that money on. If the limited edition doll you wanted suddenly popped up on the marketplace, would you rather put that money towards that doll or this sudden impulse buy? Try thinking of it that way, is my best advice.

> For those of you who have never bought an item on impulse:
      (I'm going to answer these even though I have impulse shopped before, I still find I can answer them in a different sense.)

I think they are a big gamble. Either you'll get the item and regret it or you'll get the item and love it. It's really hard to know regardless until you see the item in person, it's a big chance you're taking.

Setting certain goals I'd like to reach. If I stopped doing so many impulse buys I could have already reached more than half of my planned goals of items I know I want.

4. I have yet to make a BJD impulse buy (well, maybe for a sweater, but not a DOLL) because I'm still paying for my guys but, here goes:

Here's what's weird. As of late, I have learned that NOT following my instincts about something leads me to miss out on something I actually REALLY wanted. I keep being ridiculously cautious and it's driving me nuts! So, just today, I actually ended up making a impulse purchase of a BJD bunny hat. Yeah, it wasn't a doll but I refused to think twice about it because it was an Etsy item and an OOAK and I didn't want to miss out on it (especially since I had already missed out on the white one I ACTUALLY wanted but kept talking myself out of). That being said, I plan to follow this same ideal with dolls. Yeah, I may make a few missteps, but I would rather make an expensive misstep that I can sell, then to miss out on that one doll I really wanted.

Money is usually the ONLY thing that will keep me from an impulse buy. If I still need food and/or stuff for my cats, I just make myself deal with the fact I can't be impulsive and I HAVE to just let it go and not spend the money. This happens often. :)

To trust their instincts and not just the need to have anything and everything new/OOAK/LE. Thinking on something reasonably (even if it's in a VERY short amount of time) and with your heart usually works better than just clicking. :)

5. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      So far so good. Some of the dolls I considered and mulled and returned to the website repeatedly are the ones who have gone to the MP in the sky.

You never know until you try. You never know if you'll love a doll or not until you have it in your hands, that's just how it goes.

My Souldoll Aku- he's so cute! I have my little giant headed kitty sitting around. He was cute. I'm not big on anthro dolls because they are so small but he just appealed to me.

It pays to hit the buy button? I don't know.

It really depends on what you're comfortable doing. You can always sell it later, but be prepared to sell at a loss.

6. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      My first doll was an impulse buy - back in 2006. I decided to do Artist Alley at a local Anime Con and told myself that whatever I made I would put towards the purchase of a doll. Back then, I was looking at only girls, and an MSD for about $300. Then I went through the dealer room where one dealer had Souldolls available. I bought my Paris right then and there. So not only was he an impulse purchase, he was an impulse buy overall. I still have him <3

Sometimes its OK to go with your gut. I've made other impulse purchases that have not worked out so well, but I'm OK with that. I'm glad I had the opportunity to find out for myself that those dolls don't work for me. :)

My best impulse buy decision in relation to dolls (but not for a doll specifically) was to buy a ticket to LA Dolpa in 2007. While there, I won a Sei Tenshi <3 <3 <3

Follow my instincts. If I want to do/buy something, and I have the cash, do it! But don't go into debt for it.

Can you realistically afford it? If your car breaks down tomorrow, and it needs to be repaired, will you still be able to pay for repairs?

-Yes? Then do it! :D

-No? Forget about it. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Dolls come and go all the time, and if you are patient, another one will come up for sale at a great price - just for you. :)

7. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

I bought a Unoa several years ago on ebay for a lot of money because I was too impatient to wait for the ordering period. Only a year or two later, my taste changed and I sold her, but at a loss.

Patience. If I had just waited about a year, I not only could have had her at half the cost, but I might have not wanted her anyway.

I impulsively bought my very first abjd on ebay and discovered an all new, terribly addicting, but fun hobby.

Sometimes being impulsive is fun.

Consider carefully, then go with your gut feeling. I knew I would be sorry for buying that Unoa, but bought it anyway. Big (and costly) mistake.

8. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I don't really think I've had a bad one. Even if I haven't liked or got on with something, I've been able to sell it on.
      Sometimes impulse buys can work well, because you are going with your gut feeling
      Buying a Tous Les Garcon outfit when I got a second chance
      That I should've got it in the first place
      As long as you have enough funds to cover yourself, and don't go into debt, then if something doesn't work out for you, it will probably work for someone else.

9. What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      The only impulse buy I've ever made is when I bought Jehn, my Unoa Lusis, in the marketplace and even then I waited at least a week (I think) before PM-ing the owner. XD
      I don't regret this decision in the slightest! I love her to bits and I knew that, had I not bought her, I would have regretted it so much because I love her face-up and it suits my character so well. :3

I guess I learned that I don't always have to spend months on end weighing up the pros and cons and that, if I really feel strongly about a doll, I can buy it without something awful happening. XD (However, I don't plan on making any impulse purchases any time soon!)

Make sure you honestly want whatever it is you're thinking about buying. Try not to say things to yourself like, "Oh, but they're having a deal! I'm sure I'll buy this at some point, so why not buy it now?" or "But it's limited edition! I need to make a decision right this instant!" XD (I have fallen into this trap many times but always managed to pull myself out [so far!]) I've always been glad that I haven't bought whatever it was that I was lusting over previously as well, so yeah - Make sure you really want it before buying!

10. Impuld decision, here is one:

I met BJDs some years ago, and the I was all crazy about them, had to have one that moment, didn´t get one though.
      This summer, after a long time I just decided to get a doll, because my sis was going on vacations and I was staying back, fair enough.
      I browesd ebay, found Zhou, considers aka. convinced myselve that it was a good idea, and bought him.

That is how I got my first doll, and I don´t regret it.

There are other things though, not doll related, that I shouln´t have bought.

Just make the best out of it, unse it , sell it, keep it for later use, give it away as a gift to someone who will apriciate it. But never get depressed or angree, It´s not worth getting grey hairs over it .

11. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Hmm, probably Elfdoll Red. I got him for a good price in the MP and I really loved his sculpt, but aspects of his body annoyed me and he was just an awkward size for my planned group. Not a big deal, except that not only did I have to sell him for a substantial loss but it took several months for him to sell even at a bargain price. It was such a pain.

Before buying anything, its a good idea to figure out how hard it will be to sell second hand (some brands/dolls are harder to sell without losing a lot of $, in my experience) and take that into account when deciding just how sure I am that I want the doll I am considering.

My Soom Hati. I hadn't planned on getting one, and had passed them up when they were for sale thinking I'd hold out for something with more/fancier parts, but when one popped up the next month on Soom's site I impulsively bought her. I didn't think about it a lot but I am so glad I snagged her. No other Soom MD tiny has come out yet that I like as much and there's no way I could get one second hand.

Sometimes, when it comes to LE's, you've just got to go for it! If it is something that you keep coming back to, and that won't be hard to get your money back (or most of it) on, then its a good idea to go for it.

If you have a doll plan and/or wishlist, ask yourself how the impulse doll will fit into it and if the purchase will derail/delay any high priority dollie plans or goals. Also, look at the doll's second hand value and then look at what you are paying for it, and take that into account.

12. This is a really good thread!

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I think Souldoll Morse. Never had a Souldoll SD, it was on a new body and a new size and I jumped and bought one straight away because of the site pictures. I sold him a couple of days later.

To wait. Give myself more time. Most important, wait for more pictures, preferably owner ones and their review.

My Soom Dia, I bought her on a whim and thought she wouldnt be a keeper, but I have kept her. Same with my N Doll Miso, I bought her from a friend impulsively for a project and kept her for years.

Sometimes the stronger you feel about a doll the more you need to back away and cool down before buying. The ones you dont think too much about and decide to get for other reasons (its cheap, youll mod it, have it for a brief period) are the ones you end up keeping because you dont have the high expectations.

Cool down. Take a week off before buying. Dont look at it for a while, see if you still want it. If its a new doll wait for owner pictures and reviews. What I always find helpful in the marketplace before buying a doll that you feel that maybe an impulse buy...ask the owner to put on hold for a week, be honest with how you feel and after that week be honest with yourself. If you have said to the owner I will definitely buy this doll in a week!!! You might feel you are obliged to buy it rather than because you want it and dont want to let them down.

13. What do you think of impulse purchases?
      Outside of the hobby, I make them all the time. Then I wonder why I have no money. No, I didn't really need that Iced Coffee, but I bought it because I was walking past and thought it was a good idea.

Imho - Impulse buying costs me money. It's a small, fleeting gratification. Or, in other cases, you're stuck with something that might not be as attractive in the light of day, without the haze of "I want it now!" I've always found that impulse buying just leads to trouble.

Inside the hobby, I find it really hard to make impulse buys - because I have to go through that whole rigmarole of typing in my name, and my shipping address and my billing address... I'm incredibly lazy and often weigh the "Do I really want it that much?" against the bother. Also, the psychology of the US dollar works in my favour. Even though the AU exchange rate is amazing at the moment, I still go "$10 is $12, Haku. You don't want it for $12. Plus shipping."

Also, shipping is mind-blowingly expensive. And I can't really justify paying $20 just for the privelege of owning something like a pair of eyes. Especially when those eyes are $20 themselves.

"Do you really want it? Leave the window open a few days and if you still want it then, buy it."

14. What do you think of impulse purchases?
      I think they're great if you can easily afford them.

Moolah, including overseas shipping costs. I actually consider this a blessing, since I'm "Ooooh! Shiny!" by nature, and the cost of dolls and doll-things has kept my inner magpie well in check. It's made me winnow, winnow, winnow my choices, until I'm really sure the item in question is what I want.

Are you sure you want this? Can you afford it? Can you afford it without going into debt? If yes to all three, have at it!

15. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Actually, my worst impulse buy is my most recent layaway. I just put a layaway on a Rosette School of Doll Violet: Wings of Tomorrow yesterday. I was going to get an Idrial, saw her, flipped a coin and put her on layaway. No clue how it'll end but I'm hoping I'll love her to bits xD.

Deciding on a doll in one day is probably one of the most terrifying things I've ever done. Also doing it while knowing exactly how in debt and screwed you are is pretty bad.

I also was doing mock orders at one point in the night and thought I'd managed to order her by accident. Surprisingly, I was completely fine with that thought. If you're fine with that then likely you're making an okay decision because you really do like the doll.

My Soom Glot and Volks Little Lorina. They are so cute and I love them to bits. I've never felt guilty about getting them and I bonded immediately when I got them ^^.

If I'm truly drawn to the doll, I should buy it because I won't regret it at all. Also if the doll makes me dream about them or obsess over them, it's likely a good buy.

Cost is a big one. If it'll put you into a cardboard box for a year, it's really not worth it no matter how limited the doll is.

I'm in debt right now and I know how screwed I may be. I also know I have a steady job for now and that I can make back the money fairly quickly. Always know how long it'll take you to pay off the purchase and if you'll be okay for that time period.

Also, resale does pop up in impulse buys sometimes. If you can't bond, can you resell easily? That's a good question to ask. I bought my Glot knowing that if I couldn't bond, I'd be okay since I would definitely be able to sell her. (Luckily I've never needed to do so ^_^)

One last thing, I always end up putting priority over my wishlist for LE dolls that pop up. If they are not ones to turn up on the MP, buy them on layaway. The MP will either burn you with higher costs later or it'll be impossible to find them.

16. What was your best impulse buy decision and why?

I can't exactly say that Raven was an impulse buy, because I definitely thought it over for a bit (about a day, maybe? haha), but considering I bought her only a few days after I had paid for Victor, I guess it was sort of an impulse, except that it was her fault for yelling at me to buy her! xD I'm really glad I made the decision to buy her. Having a secondhand doll home first made me more calm; I wasn't too nervous to touch her, etc. Plus I got her at a wonderful price, and I love her so very very much.

That sometimes doing things on impulse is good, especially for someone who's as cautious as I am. Sometimes it can really pay off, but you shouldn't just blindly jump in without stopping to think for at least a couple seconds. People have instincts for a reason, and if a doll's really calling out to you and you have the money, maybe you shouldn't ignore it.

Make sure you have the extra money to pay for the doll; be smart and don't spend money that you should be using for other things like food and bills. Stop and think it over -- make a list of the pros and cons of buying the doll.

17. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Nothing really massive, but I've bought a lot of wigs that didn't work out, because I bought them before the doll actually came. I also recently bought an Impldoll Erica that I really like, but it was sort of bad timing financially--I was counting on some money that didn't come through, and it was a difficult month. I'm keeping her, but maybe I should have waited since she's not limited or anything.

Not to shop when I'm sick! Seriously. I have noticed I make bad purchasing decisions (online or in person) when I don't feel well, possibly because I subconsciously want that little endorphin rush to make me feel better. I bought the Impldoll Erica when I had a bad cold. It sucks because I like to go online when I'm sick, but now I try not to buy things, or at least to bookmark the page and come back later.

My NotDoll Belladonna, hands down. The sculpt was already discontinued when I saw her on Ebay for a reasonable price. I took a few minutes to check my online balance and debate a bit, and then I bought her. I've never regretted buying her, and even if I did decide to sell her, I'd be able to get my costs back. I recently commissioned her a nice new faceup, and I think she's one of my most distinctive dolls.

That if you can afford it, and the doll is truly rare/one you've been wanting for a long time, you should go for it. I've only seen two Belladonnas on the MP since then, and both have been priced much higher than what I paid.

If the item isn't about to sell out, I would say, wait a week. There have been dolls/items that I loved at first, but after a while, I didn't feel so drawn to them anymore. And there have been many (like Soom MDs) that I wanted but truly couldn't afford--the one I liked best, Syen, I ended up joining a split and getting just the vamp head, which was most important to me. So I compromised that way.
      If you think this might be your only chance, AND you can afford it, I say jump on it. I'm so glad I got that Belladonna, because it was my only chance for a long time. If it's a doll you've wanted for a long time (like, for me, DIM Kassia... sigh), you probably really want it. Be honest with yourself about what "afford" means, though.

18. Worst impulse buy: A Domuya Michele on a flexi-body. That body was horrid, absolutely no ability to pose, floppy, floppy, floppy. Plus I didn't like the face as much in person. Needless to say, I sold the doll & weirdly enough the gal who bought the body was absolutely thrilled with it.

What did I learn: Do my homework when it comes to bodies & don't grab something just because it's a huge bargain.

My best impulse buy: Doilmore Lillis Liv. Another huge bargain. As soon as I changed her eyes she absolutely came alive & is still one of my favorite dolls, probably because she looks so vulnerable & sad.

What did I learn: Sometimes bargains are wonderful dolls. And don't count out a doll until you play with it a bit & make it truly your own.

What would I say to someone about to make an impulse buy: Walk away for ah hour & if you can't get the doll off your mind, go for it. If it's gone, it simply wasn't meant for you.

And even though I've done many impulse buys I'm answering What do I think of impulse buys? It's a 50/50 chance. I've bought a LOT of dolls on impulse when I had the money & needed a fix & most of them have worked out very well. There were a number I sold but I've sold just about an equal amount of planned purchases. Either way, planned or impulse, there's no real way of knowing if you'll truly bond with any particular doll. And some of my best bargains & favorite dolls have been impulse purchases. In fact the last doll I bought was an impulse from the Marketplace & I adore her. I kept trying to walk away but just kept worrying that she would get grabbed up by someone else. To make things worse, I'd never even heard of ths doll before I bought her & when I took her to a meet-up almost everyone wanted to know about her.

19. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      A Lost Angels body from a friend, a CP El head, some colthing......... most of them are sold or endet as a gift.

Think bebore buying- do I have a character that fits? Does it suits my characters?

Unidoll Jace head!!!! (I love this mold *___________________*)
      My Migidoll lim. Noel head (marketplace- because he fits perfect to a character), Soom MD Eliv (she is now styled after my publishing house mascot) and my next will be a Volks Tsubaki xD

Saving up money for unexpected doll releases are important.

good luck ^-^

I like them.
      not enough money

20. Sigh, I used to be so proud of my lack of impulsiveness in this hobby... Where did it go? :lol:

Hmm... Probably Blue Fairy Shiny Fairy Hana. I saw her on the site and went "DO WANT," and I bought her. But she looks exactly like my Tiny Fairy Sarang, and I have no interest in having two dolls with the same face (what was I thinking?).

I can't buy a doll unless I have a character for it. Otherwise they get here and never get customized and loved. Sometimes they will develop a character of their own, but usually not...

Well, right not I'm hoping it will be the doll I have coming in the mail now, tan Bambicrony Ellen. I love her intelligent face so much that I couldn't resist! But, we'll see what happens, hey?
      Oh, I don't know. Sometimes it's okay to go with your gut?
      Hmm... I guess, what are your plans for this doll? If you don't have any other than "she's cute!" you might not want to get it *_*