1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

Mar 15, 2011

1. Well i'm just looking ahead slightly worried!
      So a few questions to pioneers XD

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc

How many dolls have you got over the years?

and the question that interests me the most:
      How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?

Thank you !

2. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I've been interested in dolls since around 2004 but I've been an owner since October 2006.

I definitely spend more on them now, hahaha. In the beginning it was difficult allowing myself to spend so much on clothing and whatnot.

I've had 3 complete dolls, I currently have 2. I also have 2 heads that unfortunately do not have bodies.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      My oldest doll (which is actually my second doll) arrived in May 2007. He's yellowed, but I don't really notice it unless he's naked. His limbs and head have slightly yellowed compared to his body which is normally covered. It's barely noticeable. His original faceup is still intact. His strings are getting rather loose though. As for my third doll which arrived in October 2010 second hand....I haven't noticed any yellowing on him. He was originally from 2008 so he may have yellowed before I got him, but I wouldn't know. When he arrived his strings were terribly loose so I replaced them. ^__^

3. Well, I've been in for three years so I think that's enough to answer. :D

Hmmm, have things changed...Well, with the economy getting a little more unstable, I've noticed it's a bit harder to sell things on the second-hand market. I've also seen several small companies pop up, and other small ones like Charles' Creature Cabinet go down in flames. At the end of the day, though, the dolls are still dolls.

Originally, my dolls were all very character-driven. They all had long, elaborate backstories and dollie personalities. That's changed though. Now my dolls all have names and have short personalities attached, but none are highly character driven like they once were. I also originally would not own anything with a default faceup because I wanted to do it myself, but now I am happy to own a default faceup if I like it. That probably has a lot to do with being less character-driven, most default faceups wouldn't readily match a character but now that the idea of their dollie personality is much more flexible, I rather like the idea of a default faceup. They almost always come looking nice and I have a doll ready to play with, less work required!

I think I've had and subsequently sold around 30, and right now I have 14 or 15, I forget how many.

I only have one doll that I've had for any length of time. I've had him for about two years, and I do see a very, very slight difference in color but he's certainly not looking aged, just somewhat mellowed. Then again, his resin is pink urethane, something like white French resin would definitely age differently.

4. I'm so trolling this thread, I'd love to see how things go for people who are 4+ years in. Fascinating :D I can't comment though, only about 1-2 years here... so erm. yes.. Carry on! ;)

5. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Over five years now.

I learned a lot! About how to choose dolls, clothes, etc.; photography (although I still suck :sweat) and sewing (ditto :sweat) . . .

I've still never sold a doll though. As far as how I treat them, I think about the same. Reasonably carefully.

Ten, and hopefully that's all. :sweat

My three oldest dolls (five years old) have yellowed slightly, but they were exposed to flourescent lighting for three years, which I believe played a major role. They're still cute though. :)

6. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I became interested in them in 2003, got my first doll in 2005.

Not really. I used to not box my dolls and decided I like doing that much more than leaving them out, and I've learned over time what sizes do and don't work for me. I've also really refined my tastes in terms of what I will accept as quality. I used to settle for second best with accessories and now I know that is a waste of money and don't do it.

I've owned a lot of dolls over the years and keep buying and selling as I refine my collection, get bored with dolls, and look for something new.

The doll I have owned the longest is my second oldest doll. He's almost 6 years old and actually looks pretty much the same as he did brand new. He's a little less pink. The rest of my dolls are all varying ages and while there has been mild mellowing, none of them have severely yellowed, including my oldest doll which is a prob 8-10 year old Volks head. He's a tiny bit yellowed but still matches newer bodies well.

7. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Got interested in 2006

Got mine first in 2007... got more involved after LADP 2007 in November

I understand more about how much they are worth to me. Still wish that I have more time for my projects. Learned what are the sizes/kinds that I like and which one I do not like

I have bought and sold many

I take care of them so they are holding up well. Most are about as good as new

8. First got into the hobby in 2005 when I was 15, though I had been exposed to dolls a few years earlier. I do fondly recall seeing Customhouse's gorgeous Unique Ai before one trip out of town to visit relatives when I was maybe 11-12, and the whole time we were gone I was dreaming of this wonderful doll I'd seen. Took me a few years after that to actually find out what these things were, and how I could get one.

I was never the type to treat my dolls very cautiously, and that hasn't changed much - while I don't 'play rough' I certainly do not guard them actively (though lately dolls I've owned have been in boxes due to lack of time/interest). It has become easier, by far, to shop for dolls what with a new company arriving almost every week, so many stores, people getting talented, new artists joining the hobby, etc. Socially I've perhaps... declined in eagerness to participate. I am what some might call 'elitist', though I'd describe it more as extremely picky. When there were fewer companies and I was a fan of most sculpts on board, it was easier for me to enjoy the gallery for example - lately, I don't bother due to the number of photos that I don't enjoy viewing.

I've owned many dolls over the years. The total list is in my profile for the deathly curious. The only really funny thing to me about it is that I gave one headmold (Volks Sch C) two chances at two different times. Obviously, neither time did the trick. I am a very casual collector, and I am prone to changing my mind on a whim and selling/buying an entirely different collection. Sentimental value has long lost its influential hold on my collection.

As for doll's conditions, I have kept none of my original ones, I've gone through very many. I only ever had one doll suffer yellowing, but he was quite old, and it wasn't something that bothered me badly.

9. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I got into them in 2005, but didn't own one until 2006.

I've spent more money than I ever thought I would. I'm willing to spend more to get better quality wigs and clothing than I was in the beginning.... and I'm also willing to spend more on a single doll now than I ever imagined I would. xD I probably take better care of them now than I did when I first bought one, and I probably do more with them as well. ^^

Currently I own 19, with another 3 on the way (one that I am buying back from someone I sold to xD). I've sold of 13 others, for a total of 34 dolls that I've owned.

They're all pretty much the same as when I bought them... I'd say most of them haven't yellowed at all since I've owned them (though some were secondhand and yellowed before I bought them) and I've never had anything break on me - all fingers are intact. xD None of them have cracks or anything, and their faceups are all the same as when I first bought them... I'd say they're holding up fairly well. :)

10. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Well I started to get into BJD's in 2005 but I didn't buy one until 2006 shortly after I joined DoA. So I guess this will be about my 7th year in the hobby.

Hmm I think over time I got a little less worried about how I treat them. I suppose I learned the boundary's and how far I can go before bad things happen. I think my tastes changes and my willingness to spend large amounts of money :lol:

Hmm the one thats currently on her way will be number 26. I also have a 27th wait to be shipped.

Some have faired better than others. I take care to keep them well stored and out of the sunlight. Some have yellowed a little and some have broken, yet others have not yellowed and have stayed in perfect order. I'm still surprised that my first boy, a pink NS Dollzone Megi, is still in perfect condition and hasn't seen much, if any yellowing whereas my Volks girl whom I bought much later has yellowed some and has sufferd a little damage over time.

11. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

i've been in the hobby since late 2006, so about 5 years.

nope, i treat them the same. like they are somewhat alive, but still dolls. i still wish i had more time for them.

i have a lot of different types of dolls, but as for bjds, i have kept 7. i think i have bought and sold about 4.

not too much yellowing here. my first bjd, a dollzone, has yellowed slightly. but i didn't even notice until i recently got a new dollzone body in white, and they were pretty different colors!

12. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Since 2006! <3

well, in the beginning I thought we would sew everything for them. Laziness caught up quickly! We're also not so terrified of anything happening to them anymore. We're very careful with them still, but not hyper paranoid.

We're currently up to 16 between myself and my two roommates.

We have had a bit of yellowing, but not severe- and it's all even, a sign of aging not sunlight. BUT, we also keep them covered at all times when not doing photos or watching TV with them (lol). In fact, even our oldest dolls would still have their original faceups if it wasn't for Henessey having a rough encounter with a tree, and us just deciding to update Caer. If you're curious, here is our Shiwoo, bought in Dec 2006- original faceup, including his lashes. Lashes are the first thing to get messed up, from what I've seen; we've just been lucky with Mam'selle.

Only one broken finger so far! *knocks on wood*

13. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I learned about them in 2004, researched in 2005, saved up and finally bought my first(s) in late 2006.

My tastes definitely changed! At first I thought dolls like Volks and Unoa were some of the ugliest I had seen... now :sweat they make up the majority of my collection! I was also more interested in cutesy, girlish dolls. I still like girl dolls and don't own any boys (probably won't until I have a real career!), but now I also like mature, sexy girls and more realistic dolls (muscles~!!!!). At the beginning, I was only interested in lolita fashion for my doll but now I like many types. Dolls have also cost me a lot of money in other areas/related hobbies (sewing, airbrushing, soon photography) ;).

The number is quite high.

The doll I've had the longest has been in my possession for maybe 2 years? My oldest doll is from 2000 or 2001 I think. Both are Volks and actually the older one is less yellow than the new one! I think it has to do with the care the previous owners gave them, but even the more yellow one is still gorgeous. Aside from yellowing, I have dropped a doll head once, had another faceplant, and dropped an Unoa face plate... never any damage! That's not always the case, of course, but they are, for the most part, pretty sturdy.

14. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I was interested in BJDs since 2003-2004, and was finally able to order my first at the very end of 2004 (in December). So technically I've been in it for quite a few years now - but I did lay low and off the forums (minus a few occasions) for a few years, enjoying my dolls apart from the internet. Recently I've been around the forums more, realizing that I missed keeping up with the social aspect (plus I've got a new doll on the way, so forum browsing is like my nesting period haha).

Things mostly changed during my down time - I was busy with school and life, so I didn't take pictures as much, and I didn't do photostories. I changed them only once in a while, and I didn't spend too much on clothes because I had school supply expenses. I've since changed schools and am back to working part time though, so things are getting back to where they were before! Apart from that, nothing has really changed. I don't view my dolls any differently, and I think they're just as beautiful as the days they arrived.

I think the hobby itself online has changed a lot, to me. But that's a different topic, probably.

Excluding the one on order, only 3. All were bought from 2004-2006. I never wanted a whole lot of dolls, and three was a perfect number for me over the years. In the last two years or so, I was really feeling ready to get another doll. Now that I'm financially able again, I gave in and a 4th is on the way :> marks a new wave of doll-dom for me, I guess.

Honestly, it's a little all over the board! My oldest doll (my CP El, c.2004) has definitely mellowed out in color evenly. I don't even notice it tbh, because I'm so used to seeing him in my room every day that I didn't pay it much attention until I really thought about it. I think his current color is gorgeous though, it's really soft and creamy looking.

My MNF is a little harder for me to tell...he might have yellowed a little? Even though he's BW, he was never super white when he arrived so.

The doll I haven't noticed ANY yellowing in, is my Hound. I don't know what it is about that old Dollshe resin, but it has held up really well. It has the same tooth to it, and it hasn't discolored a bit, very impressive.

So all in all, my dolls are holding up just fine after all these years.

15. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I started saving for one in 2006 and finally jumped the wagon mid 2007.

Yes, I don't have the same sentimental feeling toward dolls anymore. I guess it's because I've been getting more busy and distracted as of late. :sweat I'm also so desensitized when spending on dolls sometimes that it's getting a bit alarming.'$300.00? That's pocket change."

So many that I lost count. Currently, I have 7. I might downsize to 1 or 2 eventually.

I don't have any of my original dolls anymore. I revamp every once in a while and it's a very rare occurrence when one does stay for a long time.

16. I started seriously getting in the hobby in octoberish 2008.my first doll was a white skin mini dim marianne named june. She's been a learning expirience, I learned how to string her, what they look like blank and exactly how a doll can look with several different type styles. She's been the first and the one to never leave. Since I started in the hobby I've roughly collected about 10 dolls and I've wound up with 5 full dolls and 2 heads(the others were sold) I've refined my taste in dolls and since that I've found what dolls truly work for me instead of trying to force myself to like this or that doll. Im a lot more picky with my girls than my boys as well.

As for how my dolls are, I found that june(since she's the only one to stay) has faired very well. She has no yellowing and if she has yellowed its not at all noticable. As for my dollshe bernard(my 2nd oldest at a yr old) has no yellowing at all either. In fact the only doll that seems yellow is my 2nd hand kalix and only his head is slightly yellowed, but he's been a dream doll for a long time so im happy to have him in every perfect and imperfect way. As for how they are holding, well they are holding up very well almost like the day I brought them home :) although kalix will receive 2 new calves since he has 2 same calf pieces.

17. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I got my first in Nov. 2004. I'd been aware of them years before, since they were only available as kits in Japan, but I was too busy with work to put a doll together and make everything from scratch, so I didn't get into BJDs until you could buy them whole and didn't have to go through a special shopping service!

I don't treat my dolls any different. Lots of things have changed-- greater availability of dolls through English websites, more companies, more types of dolls, more sizes, tons more companies, more people know about them, more members on DoA, etc., etc. I also seem to more easily spend vast amounts that I originally thought was totally insane... I still think it's insane, but I can't seem to stop myself...! Otherwise, I've been having a lot of fun, since day one... Love meetups and checking on DoA and other sites and love playing with dolls... :D

I have recently just gone over 20. I had originally hoped to only have a handful, but there are so many amazing dolls being made that that is impossible for me...

I also have never sold a doll... so they've added up over the years. *_*

My first dolls were from late 2004 and early 2005... and they were CP beauty white. They have been very slowly yellowing (or doing the CP Green thing), but aren't changing drastically. The first started out being yellow-ish to begin with. I've never re-strung any of my dolls, although several have needed tightening. I bought the Bambicrony tiny elves that were in colored French resin... and my Misty Blue Kumi is turning green, but that was happening to some of them almost immediately (which makes me not care so much for French Resin). Many of my dolls are white skin. I'm not that worried about yellowing, obviously... I've recently bought some tans. As long as the dolls don't change drastically and unevenly, I won't be bothered too much. So far, all are looking OK, even the Misty Blue Kumi. No chips. All have original faceups. :)

18. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I have been in the Hobby for around 6 years.

Not really if anything I treat them better lol

Oh dear over 20 for sure

They are doing well. If they have yellowed it very even. They are studder then people say they are and just now the two with default face up had to redone.

19. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I bought my first doll Oct. 2006

I was really protective with my first couple dolls and now I know, though each doll has particular limits, they aren't as fragile as I first thought.
      I feel my tastes have "refined" since I first started collecting as well and that I've learned a lot about my preferences.

I currently have 4. I've bought and sold a bit though. I think I've sold about 10.

All my current dolls are Volks UV resin and look as good as new as far as I can tell, other than the oldest resin I currently own is the body of one of my dolls and is 4yrs old and is a little shinier than the newer ones. I bought it 2nd hand though and it was like that when I received it so I don't know if it was the resin batch, age, was handled more or what. I really don't handle my dolls much or have them in sunlight unless at a meet though.
      A couple of the dolls I've sold had very slight yellowing and minor damages in the faceup, nothing major.

20. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      4 1/2 years.

I think after my first couple I became extra careful of their faceups, as the stress of getting a faceup I loved redone proved a bit too much. Other than that I don't think anything has changed.

34. I haven't had the issue of tastes changing or not bonding with them so they've all stayed so far.

All of them have yellowed/aged in some way or another over the years except for the Soom Euclase, which has remained the same as far as I can tell, at least very similar. None of them have yellowed to an ugly colour, even the white skinned dolls, and the more yellowed ones tend to be dolls I have bought second hand.