1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In-scale animal props?

Mar 16, 2023

1. What's everybody's favorite sources for animal props that in scale, especially in 1:3 and 1:4 sizes? It seems like between Barbie and 1:6 military figures, you can get a good array of animals, although the ones intended for use with the latter aren't articulated. I've also seen people use the AG scale horses with 1:4, but other than that, big animals seem to be thin on the ground.

(I need crows, myself. Preferably a small murder but one will do.)

2. Hi!

Yeah, I've collected 3 OG horses for my Minifee crew. But for 1/3 scale, I've been viewing creature art dolls on Youtube to try and see what I can do for an articulated posable wolf. I'd also suggest looking into Halloween props for crow or crow-like decorations.

So custom handmade art dolls might be your best bet for scaling to a 1/3 SD doll.

I think someone here in the project journal section was building a whole horse! (try looking up Hussar in the title somewhere, if my memory serves)

#2 TheBlueWazaga, Mar 16, 2023
      Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    3. Agreeing with above! I needed a 1/3 scale wolf and ended up going with a custom made art doll by an artist on Etsy. She is about the same size as my (real) Chihuahua and absolutely terrifying (according to the Chihuahua).

4. I think this is the tread mentioned. Like TheBlueWazaga said, it's definitely worth a look! The author is very talented and you can follow the entire journey.

#4 Phoenix-Aeterna, Mar 16, 2023
      Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    5. If you're into 1/3 horses, back in the day there was my twin doll which made a 67cm horse for their 22" line. It's more pony scale for the 65+cm. But it's decent.
      My boy is 65cm
      https://media.discordapp.net/attach...77437151731519549/20220525192401_IMG_3771.jpg [​IMG]

If you're into a bigger horse that's still findable in the us, there's playdate nokk at 80cm from a few years ago. Now that kids are out growing it, parents are trying to get rid of it. I found mine in the local fb marketplace for $20. Elsa is 59cm and link is 65cm. This one would require a bit more work in painting and modding the mane and tail to make it look "normal" but it's a start, or a perfect companion as is for SDGr Elsa.
      https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/799347596069044306/1086129152647770132/20230316_222823.jpg
      [​IMG]

6. If you have a 3d printer or access to a printing service you could look at thingiverse for some free animal models, some of which are even ball jointed! They might just need a little resize to fit your doll exactly but its a good start if your able!

7. It's interesting to see various ideas-what I'm looking for is 1:4 scale, for which the 3d printing might work. (Thingiverse has some, though they're not very detailed.) This has also made me realize that come Christmas, I should be looking for deer that would be in scale for 1:4...I'm pretty sure I've seen some decor that would be close to that.

8. Our Generation (OG) dolls made some really great horses, some even having minor articulation in the legs! The doll in my PFP is from a TV show and partway through the show, the character had need to ride a horse several times, so I thought, wouldn't it be great to recreate his actual TV show horse? OG had a horse in just the right colour that also happened to have that minor articulation, and with a custom saddle to match the show and customizing his mane and tail, the horse turned out perfect! I'll likely get his eyes painted more realistically some day.

Here's the original OG horse with plastic hair and cheesy tack:

[​IMG]
      The show picture of 4th Prince Wang So on his horse:

[​IMG]

My customized version with 4th Prince Wang So riding him:

[​IMG]

#8 Bishounen_Hideto, Mar 18, 2023
    9. I’m not sure what the brand was but my brother owns a large stuffed animal unicorn that I borrowed for a picture once.

It is slightly out of scale for a 1/3 doll (my DDS is 54.5 cm) but it’d probably work better for 40-50cm dolls.

I can take some pictures with size comparisons (MDD, DDP, DDS) when I have the chance!

10. Depending on what kinda animals you're after, Eve Studio Dolls offers their critters in a variety of sizes, and theyre jointed too!
      Eve Studio Dolls

11. My Life As (Walmart) has a lot of great animals for the ¼ and smaller dolls. Horses, hamsters, fish, they even have some cute plush dogs and cats, and a great assortment of pet supplies. Also, I like that they are less expensive them American Girl.

For crow, there are a lot usually on sale around Halloween, or maybe try a party theme store. They have ones made with real feathers that look very life like. (These are ratty looking because my child got ahold of them, but it will give you an idea.)

[​IMG]IMG_5600 by Rabbid Bunnies, on Flickr

#11 RabbidBunnies, Mar 18, 2023
    12. Duuuuude, respect!!! Lovely work! That custom horse came out amazing!

13. The reroot and custom tack make a world of difference on that horse, wow! How was the mane reroot? It loos like it would have bee tricky, given how it goes into the horse's neck. (Also googling your boy's name makes me go '...this sounds like something I'd like to watch.')

14. If you look on Cults3D they have a TON. Granted some cost a few dollars but it’s a lot cheaper way to start versus investing in an art doll. I love art dolls but I also love making my own props :)

15. Thanks so much! I bought the saddle and tack from someone who made saddles and tack for these dolls for horse enthusiasts. I showed her pics of the show horse and asked her to reproduce everything as while I did learn to ride Western style, I don't know all the kinds of tack horses can have. A friend made my doll's wig, so I asked if they'd help with the mane and tail and they said yes! It might've been my "vision" but it was a lot of other people's work, so they deserve all the credit. :)

You want to do a watch party together online? I love sharing this show. It's my most favourite!

I watched some videos on YouTube of people customizing these and they saw that there was something akin to a "banana clip" of hair stuffed down into a channel of the back of the neck. They didn't try to remove that plastic clip, they just shaved the hair to the neck and went from there. Well that left a strange looking job on the mane just glued to the back of the neck, so I actually looked deeply into the channel and investigated the clip, and found I could dig it out! This left a clear and clean channel! A dear friend of mine made the wig on the doll's head out of black yarn, so I asked if they'd be willing to try the mane and tail? They said yes, o we pulled the tail out, too! Gobs of glue down the channel and into the butt tail hole later, we had a very nice look! XD

16. The brand is Hansa!
      [​IMG]

Now that I've compared my dolls, I think DDS is too tall. DDP is also too tall but I think its somewhat passable. MDD looks the best out of the dolls I have but I think an even shorter doll would be better. I think the ideal scale for these horses is likely 1/4 dolls as 1/3 scale makes them look pretty small.

DDS (54.4 cm)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

DDP (50 cm)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

MDD (43.5 cm)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

#16 Chantelle, Mar 20, 2023
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2023