1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspiration for a Character?

Nov 17, 2006

1. Well I write fanfiction all the time, sometimes however random story ideas pop into my head which I couldn't work into a fanfiction story so I begin to write it out. Truthfully one day I would love to create my own manga series so I have lots of stories, character sketches, random manga pages and character profiles lying around the place.

2. I do write fanfiction, and I majored in English Lit (though I never got the degree but thats another story) but as for my doll, I was attracted to him as he looks alot like my fiancee, and his chara is actually my fiancee's RP charas... (though he will NEVER admit to anyone but me who he RPs with he does RP rofl) So the doll actually came first then I was thinking what sort of clothes to buy for him and all of his RP charas poped into my head...

3. Of course there are also those who don't write, but draw/paint (like me), maybe even full comics/manga. They may choose a character from those artworks.

That said I based Ezra (and the boys-to-come) on a TV show. And I might make references to the actual show as if it were a kind of backstory. (like, 'oh and this is the infamous purple dress he was wearing when this and that happened'....)

4. I didn't start off with the intention of making my BJDs characters in a story but it kind of evolved when I got my second one, since then 3 have been purchased solely as characters in the storyline and two more will follow. I don't know yet if this will be a continuing pattern though, we'll see.

5. Mine are all inspired by my favourite Korean/Japanese singers and Jrockstars, with some original characters thrown in and maybe future gamecharacters.
      And I don't write any fiction or fanfiction, but I LOVE reading it ^_~*

Sabriell

6. XD omg I'm the worst amateur author alive! lol no really! I usually express my stories through comics, but most of the dolls I'm "creating" are gonna be my roleplay characters from long time ago. And I'm gonna get them all XD (don't worry, it's not many really). I'm gonna have one of them be from an original comic I'm doing, but until I actually get it published I won't reveal too much about the character ^_~

7. I liked the dolls alot when I first came across them but, at the time, it didn't even occur to me that they could be made to represent a certain character or anything. It wasn't until much later, after I'd done some research on bjds and browsed different sites that I realized how cool it would be to have dolls of some of my characters.

As for the characters my dolls represent, they all have pretty planned out backstories. I've been writing out Inanna's story in a journal online and Shahari's, while not written out, definately exists and did so before I even got her in doll form. Hopefully someday her story will get written out as well. As for future dolls, I find that it's gotten to where the dolls I want the most I want because they fit a character of mine more so than because I really love the dolls look. Some of my favorite dolls to look at pictures of I don't really want because I don't have a character to attach to them, and without the backstory I'm afraid the doll would seem kind of, flat, to me and I would regret buying it in the end.

8. Well, I'm another that writes a lot, I actually have a hard time leaving my writing notebook behind to go out to eat and such. But when I ordered Tanal it was just 'cause I have been a doll lover all my life, and finding BJDs just felt like I'd finally found the dolls I'd been searching for from the begining. I actually picked the Achernar sculpt thinking to turn it into Iason Mink from Ai no Kusabi, but when I got it I realized I couldn't. Then I got the body, stuck him together, with cheap eyes and a crappy fur wig I'd slapped together, and did a double take as I saw the main character of the oldest story I'm still working on. And a lot of the blocks that were giving me trouble in writing that story have melted away since I got him. I mean, I never actually had a solid mental image of him before and now I have him sitting next to me. So now I'm looking at dolls to figure out who can embody other characters from his or other stories that I'm writing.

I do have one doll I want that isn't for a character from a story though. I want to doll Shortstack, my favorite RP character: a CN Halfling Rogue obsessed with feathers. She gave the DM and other party members so many headaches she deserves to be given form.

Totally with you, malvinas, dolls I thought I wanted before I got Tanal have fallen off my wishlist because they don't fit any characters.

9. All of my dolls are RPG characters from various D&D games, and a few are story characters from my fiction stories. :)

10. I write so I'm always making up my own characters. In fact, I've been doing that since I was seven, so that's a horde of characters o_o My favorites, or the ones I'm always going back to, would be the ones I'd get a doll of.
      Ironically, both dolls I have right now aren't long time characters of mine. Lyre, who I plan on getting soon, is slightly more so.

11. Well, I do write. A lot. But Nicolai's not a character from my stories. And none of the characters I want to get dolls for are. They're just characters that have been living in the back of his head and fit the molds I like. :)

12. I invented Miko's character specifically for him. Although it does fit with my other OC, Cyrix

13. I roleplay a lot too and it seems a lot of people on this forum do. I have a million characters. xD You'd think I'd forget some, but no. I know everything about them from their parents' names to the school they go to. However, I've RPed for years and to me, making my doll into one of those characters seemed...boring. The best part of the character was developing thier quirks and traits. I wanted to start from scratch with Nathaniel, so I didn't base him on someone. He's a totally original character. He has no backstory yet, but he has a lot of personality traits.

14. Hmmm, I have different sort of characters in my family.

A few are based on or are interpretations of a favorite character someone else created i.e. TV shows, movies, books... that kind of thing. (Kaz, Liam, Malbro)

Others are characters I've created and developed through my writing (yay! for writers :sweat)-- and who are, of course, still growing and surprising me. (Jaz, Luna)

And the last kind is the character that-- *is* the doll... o__O LOL! That sounds so weird! :lol: He's a character that didn't exist to me before the doll; a case of the doll "telling" me who he is and what his story is instead of vice versa. (Cale, Chester)

Of course, then they become the same as the characters I've created, but I think it's so cool when a doll just "speaks" to you! :D

15. I tend to have the same method for developing a character in dolls that I have in drawing; form comes first, and everything else springs from it. This is probably even more true with dolls, because although I have toyed with the idea, I have never bought a doll with the intention of making it into one of my existing characters. The likelihood of the sculpt being exactly as I imagine/draw the character is so low that I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Instead, I usually see the potential in a sculpt once I actually lay hands on it, and develop a character for it from there.

Right now I'm actually doing a little writing experiment for myself. I have to write a novel wherein all major characters are based on my dolls. I've been looking for a way to prune the tangents and unnecessary side characters out of my stories for years, and I think that this might just do the trick.

16. I write stories about them. All my characters are part of the Puppetmaster-story and most of them already exist in my head, but have yet to be realized in resin-form.
      As for my Iru Timothy, I didn't really plan him, but I was missing a person that was the 'conscience' of the story, and when I saw the gomidoll Iru HS, I just néw he was that. And so it goes for all my dolls. And I'm currently creating my own doll (also unplanned at first) who's sole purpose is to explain some of his masters (Kayne) behaviour to anyone that reads/watches the story.
      It is my story that decides who stays and who goes and it also decides what a certain character's motives are.
      But it is also the story that made me realize that the mold that I chose for Kayne is no longer fitting. It is too young. So I have decided that i'm going to sell him and am currently looking for it's successor^^.
      So to me, story is important to let a character come to life.

17. Nate-who i dont own yet-(when his name was still Julius) started life as a kind, earnast, and dull person, crawling from the primordial soup of high school, now he's just the same thing only nicer looking, and with a better name :D and poor Ellie went through six (Vinyaya, Amber, Will, Jodie, Leslie and Elliott) Jesse-whom i also dont own yet-was a unoa in a fat suit, then a girl with braces, now sh's a girl with blond hair andglasses, im happy with her chareter now too :)

18. Hmm, a tough one. I knew that i must buy E-an for my first doll so i started saving. I also started on looking on clothing and wig sites and found a wig i loved, from there a name occured to me - Lilith Andolin. Once i had her name her story just sort of appeared in my head one day pretty much fully formed. (i have a very active imagination and read a lot of fantasy books). Her story and character both matched the wig i wanted to buy and the only outfits that would go really were gowns.

Unfortunatly for me now she has a story other chars are appearing. I now have dolls earmarked for them but their chars were formed first before i decided on the molds.

Ive written down all my stories and ideas for my chars their background as well as some of the general shared history that their world has more for me to remember than to ever let on (how portals work in the faerie and mortal realm work and what dragons are/can do).

Unfortunatly im having a conflict of interests right now, Ark (not sure of the company off the top of my head), is perfect to be the roll of Lilith's father; however i hadent originally intended to include him in her life in the mortal realm, (he having opened a portal her to enable her to escape the dragon council). Ive now either got to resist my urges to stick Ark on my wish list or figure out a way of writing him back into her life.:?

19. Rhiannon was an rp character I made last June or July (not exactly sure) and well I never quite went looking for a doll to be Rhiannon (this didn't cross my mind until right before I ordered her). What made my Shoyo into Rhiannon was the eyes. The eyes is what made me think of Rhiannon when I was looking around on the websites. I took pictures when she first came home and she looked off. Granted I don't even have the right wig for her, but the eyes made that seem a little less important.

My original fan fic characters, I have dolls planned for them and it was the molds that made me want to do the characters. Granted I have to track down just about everything to make them look perfect (wigs, eyes, face ups, outfits, etc) when I do purchase them (won't be for awhile since these will be my only two SD dolls). And it helps when I love a mold enough to try and make a character of mine work with it. E-an and Camine from DoD while they look nothing like the two characters I have planned, but I really love those two molds. Might make me work at getting my characters to come out, but with the right eyes and wigs I think they'll look just fine in the end.

20. There's a fiction series I've been working on for the past 12 years, and the main protagonist has been with me for 8 of those years so I feel like he's an actual person I know but living far away. XD

I didn't think it was possible to find a doll who is capable of representing my Hikaru, but then I saw the CP yder and I was like, "It's you. :o " So whenever he arrives, it might feel as if an old friend has finally returned home after so long. I bet you the first thing I'll say when I open the box will be "Where have you been all my life?!?!" :)

If it doesn't happen that way, who cares. We'll still be friends. :)