1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. my personal opinion is that BJD is "intended" for adults. that idea comes from the prize of the dolls mainly. and also the maintainence they need. restringing, face up by air-brushing etc... seem to be not what usually a kid would/can do. but i don't rule out any possibility for kid owning BJDs. afterall, there would be kids somewhere in this world which are rich enough to have the dolls and have all the necessary maintainence to be done by others. i don't do any maintainence for my dolls but do find the financial burden somewhat unbearable us a BJD owner.

2. haha, I'm 12, and saving for a MNF Shiwoo right now.

But usually on forums, people go crazy, when i'm like "12 turning 13 in sep. .__." and they go "SHDJK WHAAAAT O___O i thought you were older D:"

I don't think BJD's have an age limit.
      I've watched videos about them, and they're at cons.
      and there will be mothers sitting who gave their 4yr old daughters them~

And, my younger sister, who is 8 may be getting one.(Cutie Delf CORY)
      I told her all about them, and EVERYTHING I know about them (which...isn't EVERYTHING to know about them, but i do know ALOT)
      And plus, if we have any questions, I know that I can always come here and get help~

So yea, i don't think the age matters for them. <3
      Just as long as you know how they work and everything ~

3. For me it depends on the child. If they are responsible and are able to care for they're things and not tear them up, then I have no problem with it.

If I had a daughter or son and they were intrested in the hobby I would have them save up the money themselves so they know the hard work that goes into this hobby.

4. It definitely depends on the age and maturity of the "child" in question. I can't really see giving ANY toy that expensive to a very young or very immature person who might ruin it, and in a sense, BJD are bizarre toys because unlike other collectibles, they're meant to be played with. It isn't like a collectible you can buy for a kid and say, "Don't touch that, it's just for display." But every single family and every single individual has different standards and capabilities (and income levels.) It's best to judge on an individual basis.

On the other hand, that's a totally different issue from asking whether or not children should be involved in the online fandom. Supervised--sure. Unsupervised...well, I honestly don't think young people should be MOST PLACES on the internet unsupervised these days. But that's just me, and again, everyone's home and standards are different.

5. hi there, i am one of those people who will "ah" and "omg" when i see people around your age, or maybe even younger, post in forums and said they own a BJD.

but you are absolutely right, BJD has no age limit. i should start to stop acting surprise with young ppl having BJDs......

and btw, good luck with your saving plan. wish you have your dream doll asap. :)

6. haha~

Yea, I think if more younger people get into them, less people would be all "AH WOW O_O" at it xD But. most people my age, don't like them all that much xD I've only gotten two people to like them my age, and they both are FARRR from getting them.

and thank you very much <33

7. I think people get annoyed when 13 year old kids get their parents to buy them all of their dolls when many of us save and save for a long time to get one. *shrugs* But whatever.

8. Yea, eventhough i'm about that age, I DO think it's just annoying when people's parents buy them for them.

I'm working REALLY hard for mine, and not asking my parents for ANYTHING.

I think if you take the time to save for one yourself, and how hard it is, They become more valuable to you.
      If perents just BUY them for you, they're not as valuable to you~

9. Not only is it harder for kids to save up $600, but I doubt parents would be willing to let a young child spend that, even if the kid mowed 800 lawns in one summer. Kids have short attention spans. A twelve year old might really want a bjd, but there's no guarantee she'll still like it three years later, and that's a costly thing to lose interest in (ebay resales nonwithstanding). Adults tend to spend large sums of money on things which will bring them pleasure in the long term, things that are a worthy investment; the mark of a child or adolescent is that they must have it now but grow tired of it soon after.

Overall the community, while open to all ages, tends to operate on a level which feels very adult as well. That comes from all the adults in the community. It's cyclical.

Besides, as we try to tell everyone we know: these aren't dolls, they are valuable collectables. Children collect dolls. ;)

10. I've only really had one comment, age related.

"Aren't you a bit old to be playing with dolls?".

My answer, naw.

I really don't see a big deal with the younger crowd with dolls. Some may actually have saved up and bought it them selves. Others I would imagine their parents bought for them. There is no Age limit or restriction when it comes to collecting BJD's in my opinion. But typically it is usually the older crowd that can actually afford to buy them.

But I know where some of you are coming from when you say it it bugs you, being that you had to save up to get one, and others don't. But oh well.

11. The kids I've met who like BJDs are generally old enough to either know how to take good care of them, or have parents who are into them, and can guide them. My feeling is that each person - of whatever age - will love his or her dolls in the way most appropriate to them. And just who the h*^l do I think I am to tell someone how they should or shouldn't love a doll???!

When I read their delighted posts, or see their faces go "Oooooooohhhhh!!!!!!!", I am happy for them.

~Bruce

12. Wow serious???

I don't qualify then...I'm a 6 year old stuck in the body of a 50 yo... gYEHEHEHGHH :barf

*biologically is 24*

13. The only thing that makes it an adult hobby is the price, I think. It can be hard to buy these things without your own job or with your parents breathing down your neck. Sure, it can be done, but it seems hard.

14. You know when I think of kids, I really think of the 11 and under crowd. At 12 and up, if your parents will let you get a doll, that's no problem. Hopefully by that age you understand that expensive things should be well taken care of! :sweat

But I'm trying to remember myself as a very wee-un (I'm 22, shouldn't be that tough!), and whether I'd have wanted a BJD. I'm sure I would've thought they were beautiful, but I think I'd have been too afraid of damaging it. I never ever wanted porcelain dolls because they were breakable and only for display, and never kept a Barbie in her box. However, I also remember the lovely Gotz artist dolls they used to have in their catalogs, and while I knew I'd never have one, I wanted them so much anyway! :aheartbea

At one of the MI doll meets, a member brought her little boy with her. He liked the dolls, and I think he was only 6! So they do appeal to all ages! He's was very well-behaved too. And I think we managed to not traumatize him with our insanity. :sweat

15. i think its awesome if a kid likes BJD'S and if they can save up for a doll that in its self shows real responsibility. I don't like it when the parents buy really expensive things for there kids because what does that teach them then if they break the doll then there going to be like "o i didn't pay for it so big deal". but if say the kid is really responsible i say pay for part of it then make them pay for some or go ahead and buy a doll for them just make sure they know that spending that kind of money on a doll or any thing takes responsibility and that you have to take care of it.

oh and i do think that some SOME not all but some BJD'S are only for adults (like the one with the movable appendage) i cant remember where i seen the pic but that BJD was definitely not for kids.

16. I don't think there should be any age limit.
      What sometimes makes me feel bad is when I see rich kids on here whose parents bought their dolls for them for their birthdays or christmas or something. I had to save up for my dolls, and at that age I never got such extravagant presents, so the idea just wierds me out (BTW, I'm 18 ).*_*
      That said, there are tons of mature younger people on DoA, and I think it's great! I just love the diversity on DoA, and I certainly wouldn't want it to change.;)

You could try telling him that women have fought hard for equality, and splitting the bill is one thing that comes with that. It's nice that guys can be so chivalrous, but it's good to be a self-sufficient woman.:)

17. I also believe there really isn't an age limit as long as the person can be responsible with maintanance and care for the doll. Goodness, when I was 4-6 all the dolls I had (besides barbies, as I tend to cut their hair and destroy their clothes) I was obsessed with keeping them clean and would have them displayed when I dont' play with them (and these were the my little ponies and lady lovely locks, lol). But I tend to only do this to dolls that I highly favored most of the time ^^; but yeah it really depends on the person and how attached they are to their dolls. Though an adult is more likely to get these type of dolls because of pricing alone (esp. since the accessories and clothing items cost about as much a real people stuff X.x)
      I plan on buying my niece one when she gets old enough to understand the concept of these doll and show reponsibilty in being able to take care of them. Although I'd start her off with a tiny and her mom will keep it displayed for her until she's able to take care of it (she's only a little over 4 months now so it's a tad too soon ^^; ) I also look at this as an investment for her as well. it'll be something she can sell for good money if necessary. I tend to look at both dolls I got as a sort of investment.

18. I totally agree that BJD's should be for all ages as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort to take care of them properly. I'm only 21 and just getting into BJD's. When I was a kid, I only had a few barbies which got buried in the backyard by my best friend who was a boy. So me growing up as a tomboy, playing with the boys in the neighborhood, I never really got to really play with dolls like all the other girls at school. Course, I'm glad I'm getting into collecting BJD's and not barbies cause I can actually give these dolls a personality. Never really liked barbie cause she always looked somewhat the same no matter what you did to her. I do have to say that given anatomy of some of the larger dolls, bjds shouldn't be handed to younger ages that are mature enough to handle that. I'd definitely wouldn't want to be the parent that had to teach their kid about male/female body parts after playing with their doll. LoL! But I guess if the child is mature enough and is willing to handle the doll gently, go for it. Course if it was my kid, I'd make them save up for it depending on the price tag.

19. I got into this hobby when I was 16 and got my first baby when I was 17... I think it's adorable when the young 'uns are into the hobby. I'm also into thinking that it shows great responsibility and teaches younger ones (even people my age +!) to respect things that... cost a bit more money. It's hilarious how I freak out about people spending $1000+ on bicycles and accessories yet I don't find it so unusual to spend the same amount on *certain* dolls. Funny how I can't buy clothes that are over $50 most of the time but can spend so much on a bjd?

Yeah, any ways.... if I knew about bjds when I was 12... 13... I would have been jumping at getting one. My parents aren't/were the artistic type, so yeah... me landing a job got me my wee ones. It's great that parents can get their kids into this hobby. It can teach wonderful habits and other.. grand.. things to your children. (They could be out doing drugs. I always remind my parents that when they snarl at me spending money on a doll...)

20. Well, I'll be 24 next month, and I'm planning on getting my first ball joint doll on my birthday.
      As for kids and expensive dolls, I was gifted with my first porcelain doll (from France even!) when I was 10. She was not just a pretty shelf thing, my porcelain dolls were as much play dolls as my vinyl ones and I knew to be more careful with them. I still have her. She's a little yellowed under her clothes, but that's about it.
      My ideal doll, however was always the sort of dolls that I saw in my The Real Mother Goose nursery rhyme book. You know, that one that every generation has had since 1916? There are many pictures of little girls having tea, or reprimanding little ball jointed dolls. I knew it was the perfect doll to have, from those pictures, even when I was about 5 or 6. I if was a grown up I wouldn't have given me one, but given the choice that's what I would have picked.
      Now I'm as old as 24 and I still want one! And I can get one! wee!