1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. I'm 16 and just got a job. My very first job. So I think BJDs are a good way of motivating "kids" to get jobs and cars and stuff. *shrugs*

2. I was 15 when I got my F-16. I worked, saved, and paid for him entirely on my own. I knew exactly what I was "getting into", and I love him dearly. <3
      I take -good- care of him. I've met some owners that were extremely careless and flippant with their dolls that are 5, even 10 years older than me. I truly believe that chronological age is a bad indicator of maturity. ...Then again, I'm so tired of being completely disregarded in fandoms due to my age. I may be biased. ^^;

3. I think because the bodies are very 'mature' and the product is more of a collectors piece than a toy they should really only be aimed at upper teens-adult age groups. If you are quite mature then I guess it's fine but I know some parents probably wouldn't let their child own one.

4. BJD are just more in an adult's budget. However, both my daughters (aged 11 and 15) have 'em, because I pay initially and they pay me back in installments. ^^ Both my daughters are very careful with their BJDs.

5. You're a mature 13 year old though XD
      When I was 13, I don't think I approached hobbies the same way....
      *mutilated barbies, other small toys and cuttlery to form small mobiles*

I suppose it really depends on the mental maturity of the doll owner, not the physical maturity ^^

6. -nodnod- I can see where your coming from there. I WAS going to pay full for mine, but my dad said he wanted to help so :sweat

7. It is entirely dependant on the child. If the child is responsible and mature, then why not? My goddaughter (10) loves my dolls, and I am happy for her to play with them becuase she is very careful and responsible.

My 27-year-old brother? I don;t lave him alone with them, ever, becuase he would think it funny to draw on them.

As for the orice... well... if I had a kid who was prepared to save up and buy one, then I would be delighted! ^_-

8. Hey Im the same age as you, 13
      I thought there were only older people in this forums.

9. ^^;;; I'm thirteen and everybody on this board seems older then me. I've only met a few 13 year olds. xD But, I think that BJD is a hobby for anyone who can be mature about it. :3

10. There was a time when it wasn't at all uncommon for children's dolls to be made this way -- my Mom had one when she was little.

If a child can be trusted to care for the doll, is old enough not to suck out the eyelashes or whatever, and isn't terrified by the thing, why shouldn't s/he have a companion to love?

At that age, I preferred bears, but whatever floats your boat, kid. ;)

11. I'm 16 and I'll be ordering my first BJD sometime in October when I finally get paid.

But sometimes I look around on here and feel a little wierd because Everyone else is in their 20's or 30's and I'm just a widdle teenager. -puppyface-

12. I agree with kyos_kilt. It makes me a little angry when other people get dolls bought for them when they're so young. I've been saving all on my own, and it's really hard! Especially when your family has no money and you need to buy things for school like shoes and longsleeved shirts.

I feel like they get the easy way out while I'm sorta stuck on the hard path.
      ...I sound whiney. ._____.;

13. I don't think this hobby is just for grown-ups, and I certainly don't consider myself one of them, even though some people say I should XD (I'm 19 btw)
      My little sister, who's 13, just loves my El and she would love to have one of these dolls herself, but she's not in a position to save right now, so I couldn't help her out with that (she's in her 'HIM-fangirl-period, so she buys everything she can find of them.. _o_) but I think that once she'll get over that she might actually starts saving for a MNF Soo.
      I think people/children that are able to buy one of these dolls or more than just one are pretty much considered grown-up 'cause they know how to save and they know how to handle shitloads of money XD (I still remember me being 13 and spending my money even before I got it ^^;;)
      So I guess it does take a little bit of being grown-up in a certain way, 'caus as long as you're not able to save up the money, you ain't gonna get one..

14. I'll agree with most and say that it is more a maturity issue than an age issue. I wish there would have been BJDs when I was younger, because they would have been perfect for me! I have been sewing, painting, and creating things as long as I can remember. I think my mom taught me to hand-sew when I was 6! I was always super careful with the belongings that I truly cared about and my parents trusted me with a lot more than they do with my brothers now. (I'm 25 and they are 15 and 11). I didn't buy my first BJD until I was out of the house, so my brothers haven't had much interaction with them....but when they did, it was all about personality. I totally trust my dolls with Sage (11 year old) because his personality is just like mine and he's super careful....but Jordan (15)?...NO WAY. He's too careless...not in a mean way, just a clutzy teenage way. LOL

15. Actually, i think the reason why little kids aren't "as" interested, is because BJD's are something that orbits more around the internet, something that most children don't get (beyond a games sense) till they're required to use it for school (usually in highschool for research and whatnot). I mean my little sister is 6, and she askes to play and take care of my dolls all the time. What's even more surpsiing, is she takes better care of them than i do @__@ (you'd think she was holding a 2 year old infant the way she fusses over them...)

16. I'm 16, do I still count as a kid? I think because of the price of BJDs really young kids (like under six) shouldn't get them. They play really rough with their toys. o_o However if someone has a really responsible six year old then who knows?

17. The kids make me feel old! Haha. But besides that it's really amazing that they can save and buy these dolls, costing how much they do. When I was 13 I got 40$ allowence a month, I can't imagine how long and how much dedication it would take. I think kids nowadays get larger allowences then that (My BF's cousin gets around 500$ a month). But still. It's hard enough for me with a job to save for them.
      Actually I think the best time you can buy a doll is when your 15-18. When you can have a job and usually don't have many other things like college or room and board you have to pay for. That was my personal expirence, but now ::shakes fist at college::

And I'm not sure about anyone under about 12, it really depends on the kid. Some kids really appreciate their toys and some don't.

18. well my daughter is 13 well 14 in 2 weeks and she has 4 BJD's 2 she has sold things and saved madly for.... 1 I bought her or a xmas present and 1 other small one as a pressy..

she loves her dolls.. she saves madly for wat she wants for them... like a pair of jeans etc... so yes kids can enjoy the hobby... I mean she got her first BJD at age 12.

its also made her more resposible with money etc..

I love that she is into my hobby lol... and together we have lots of fun at meets.. and now my niece who is 11 has just got her 1st MSD... and she adores her....

so yep kids can have them.. look after them... and im proud of both my daughter and niece for the way they look after there BJD's

Hugs Maz x

19. I think the cost is a big factor for making it seem like an adult hobby, but I'm 20 and I thought I was one of the young ones on the board lol. I went to a few meets and was definitely one of the youngest there, so maybe I just assumed ^^ I think it all depends on the person really; there really is no age limit to BDJ's. I know personally I'm trying to get my mom into the hobby. She finally got over the dolls are weird part, and now she's just looking for a mature mini girl she really likes.

20. i worry less about age than attitude and mentality. as long as a person is mature enough to have an expensive doll, take care of it, and be respectful on the boards, then have at it. my sister loves my bjds and would like one of her own--she's 15 now and takes good care of her other dolls, but she's such a painfully typical net-kid when she's interacting online that it makes me sort of happy she doesn't attend DOA or any other doll forums. :-/